Nice suprises!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's been a week now since I bi-amped my system using two Intergrated units, and it's been like rediscovering Hi-Fi.

I'm using fairly old kit, but it has always sounded good to me. I've changed old amps for better old amps, and old CD players for better old CD players.

I've upgraded interconnects and speaker cable to good effect, and sticking a couple of WHF award winning speakers on the end was a big win.

But coupling up a pair of amps has taken the sound to another level.

I reckon to take another step of this magnitude is gonna cost thousands. And the irony is that I've been sitting on two amps for years, considering one redundant.

Has anyone been unexpectedly taken aback by a system 'tweak'?

A

Anonymous

the biggest step up in performance i have witnessed was adding a Beresford DAC, cost about £100, totally transformed my system, the best upgrade in performance you could imagine for a relatively small outlay, all without having to change source/amp...

A

Anonymous

First of all, buy a JVC A-X5, A-X7 or A-X9 Integrated amplifier...you will not regret buying one...they are 25-ish years old these days, although £70 will buy you a mint A-X5 70wpc. The JVC Super Class-A amplifiers are still my favourite ever amplifiers, just because of the sheer muscle they provide...nothing comes close! That won't cost you thousands! And what speakers are you using? Try some Wharfedale E50s.....absolute stonking speakers with 93db sensitivity and accuracy to challenge many speakers today...and £100 will buy you some minters on ebay.

Oh and yes, I did have one big system tweak that suprised me....not biwiring!

A

Anonymous

I think I'm partial to Technics kit in the same way that you are JVC; I wouldn't trade my SU-V900 for any A-X9, but that's based on a completely irrational taste for circa. 1990 Technics 'Tanks'! That said, I'm sure you wouldn't swap either!

Speakers are MA BR2's; even I wouldn't have Technics speakers in my system!

I'm considering upgrading to a current day mid range system, such as Naim of Cyrus. Or should I remain blissfully ignorant, but happy? It's an itch that I will have to scratch sooner of later. And if I do, will I be any happier, albeit wiser?

Hmm...

A

Anonymous

Ignore the urge, buy yourself some more music and keep the Technics! Having a really great hi-fi system is super if you are rich (not that I'm saying you're not!), but unless you really are a devoted audiophile or have 6ft wide ears....the Technics will be just a good! Actually, thinking about it, that Technics is probably better than the A-X9...all I remember about the V900 was that it got VERY hot and was VERY tall aswell...and it had a big Power-amp button in the middle...it was before my time though...am I wrong?

A

Anonymous

Yep, that's the one. Weighs about 25kgs. I always used the Power-Amp button until I pre-amped; not able to do so now (or haven't yet figured it out anyway).

How does your Arcam compare to the JVC? I take it you've run them both in the same system?

A

Anonymous

Yes on the exact same system! The Arcam is an absolutly top amplifier, it truly is great! Fantastic bass, fantastic treble and a lovely midrange...throw in some great timing and a really deep soundstage and it is a superb piece of kit! However, I know there is something called the "rule of diminishing", but for £70, the JVC A-X5 really was unbeatable...it did have the greatest bass of ANY amplifier I have ever heard, had BY FAR superior build quality (yes people, they really don't make 'em like they used to), and it was, put simply...so loud! It just got louder, and louder, and louder with no distortion and no reduction in quality because it didn't employ switching like a normal amplifier (ie class AB).

Now here is something to show that I am not a true audiophile....I also have a JVC A-X400 (now part of the garage/gym set-up), it was from around '85 and I got it for xmas last year for £40 off ebay)...it had a tacky flo-scan meter, a dodgey left channel and it really did defeat the point of having central heating...but oh it just sounded "right". I can't explain why this was...it just put a smile on my face and got my pulse racing...something the Arcam just can't do.

Here's a video of it the guy before who had it before me took...
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/Torrent935/48/?action=view&current=JVCAmp_agk.flv

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]
...but oh it just sounded "right". I can't explain why this was...it just put a smile on my face and got my pulse racing...

[/quote]

Nail on the head! Try explaining it to someone who doesn't understand though; my missus for a start!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stuartwhelan"][quote user="Hughes123"]
...but oh it just sounded "right". I can't explain why this was...it just put a smile on my face and got my pulse racing...

[/quote]

Nail on the head! Try explaining it to someone who doesn't understand though; my missus for a start!
[/quote]

Ah, the trick to achieving wife-approval is to set-up the mini-all in one next to your hi-fi, play her favourite CD through one and then the other and say "which one would you rather listen to?" lol

And I've tried explaining it to all the people on here...but they don't understand.... ; )

A

Anonymous

My missus actually complained when I lent some of my interconnects to a mate while we went on holiday then had to listen to the system for a few days when we got back with some freebie ones. I hadn't told her that that was what had happened! To be fair though it did sound rather lifeless in comparison...

A

Anonymous

I used to have an old, heavyweight, wooden cased NAD amp. That sounded 'right' too. A sound that I just can't seem to replicate. It may not have been the most detailed, but it was richer and more powerful than anything else I've heard yet. Shame old amps deteriorate as I'd just replace my system with something old and cheap. Perhaps I've just become more analytical in my latter years. Think I need to find the old Quad 405 out...

TRENDING THREADS