admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I am a petrol head and gadget addict and after laying hands on a TH37 Panasonic and PS3, I am keen to upgrade from my 15 year old Kenwood component Hi-fi to something with more feel. I have a limited budget and seeing as I have the PS, have looked at component AV Amplifiers to get 5.1 surround sound.

I was keen on the likes of the Panasonic DVD cinema kits but not keen to get another DVD player and so have drifted towards the Yamaha RXV363. It is clear to me that this is the bottom rung of the ladder for component sets, but surely this is way ahead of the DVD systems which are so readily available for £100-£200? I have a normal sized lounge and enjoy a couple of DVD's a week, regular iTunes visits and all sorts of PS3 games.

My question is what benefits will I get with the Yamaha system, which I have seen for £200 with the basic Yamaha speakers? Is this a good starting point or am I barking up the wrong tree? My budget could maybe go slightly further but not above £250 inc speakers?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I've setup the previous AV61 type systems at work and they were very good for the money. I'm not sure what features other than hdmi switching (no hdmi audio unfortunately) that were added to the newer 363 receiver. To be honest, I don't think you'll find a better setup for the money but if you shop around at the minute, you could get the likes of the Tannoy EFX/SFX speakers for £100 and add an amp such as the Onkyo 576, Sony 820 or Yamaha 463 for around £240 which will process LPCM audio from your PS3. The PS3 can now decode all audio formats inc. HD audio and output as LPCM over HDMI. You need a receiver that can handle LPCM to access HD audio. The PS3 cannot output the HD audio formats as bitstream (raw data) so decoding in the amp is not utilised. I appreciate that is over your budget.

Another option at around your budget which would give you HD audio from your PS3 is the Sony HT-SF1300 (tallboy speakers), Sony HT-SS1300 (shelf speakers) or HT-DDGW800 systems. The DDGW800 basically consists of some pretty basic Sony speakers which aren't particularly pretty and a receiver based around the 620 series receiver (not available in UK). The speakers could be upgraded later though. The speakers and amp in the 1300 systems are designed to be used with each other and upgrading speakers isn't an option.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for that informative reply, this is my first post, very useful. I think I will get the 363 system. How much better will this be over say a LG DVD all in one system? I am not what you would call an audiophile yet, so just the idfference will be good to kniow.

I am off to Seveoaks soon to have a listen

A

Anonymous

I have the Sony HT-IS100, and for the £430 it cost me im chuffed to bits the speakers sound awesome, even though they are the size of golf balls, its easy to use, its great if you done want big boxed speakers placed all around, i looked at getting all seperates until i saw the size of AV's, its like having a microwave sitting under your telly and the smallest speakers i fond were the Jamo's or Missions but they still were to big, i have an average size room but i like the minimalistic look.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-cinema-surround-kit/ht-is100

Check out the review for the speakers

http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-DAV-IS10/

A

Anonymous

I like the Yamaha unit and the fact that I can add and change it so thats the way I'll go I think, thanks.

Clearly I will use the Optical out on the PS3 but will my TH37 Panasonic Plasma provide it's audio to the reciever through the HDMI cable? I guess it must as their is nooptical out, only a phono out?

A

Anonymous

ok - I am starting to get this, slowly.......

So, HDMI from PS3 to TV, optical to AV63, HDMI and phono between TV and AV63??

Will I always get sound from every speaker, even when watching normal TV, even if it is not 5.1?? When will I get 5.1, only when watching a Blu Ray???

I realise these are very basic questions, but until someone tells you..............?

Thanks

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
You will get DTS / DD5.1 from the PS3 via optical and you will get one of the pseudo matrix surround sound effects such as Dolby Pro Logic 2 or DTS:Neo 6 from the stereo output from the TV.

A

Anonymous

Excellent, thanks so much

I am sure I will be back for more questions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts