Newbie would really like help regarding digital library

MusicLover33

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Although I've got some Technics separates that are about 20 years old and some Bose speakers (sorry - bought without knowledge!), I'm thinking of revamping everything.

My real conundrum is I work in IT and have all music both in CD format (because I hate paying for cra**y digital downloads) and in iTunes in (mostly) AAC format.

What I don't understand is why buy a nice HiFi system and play poor quality AAC or MP3 (please correct me if it's not poor)? Is there any way I can maintain a good quality digital library or do I need to consign myself to never being able to make a playlist again and just swapping CD's?

If there is a good way of making a digital library work, is anyone able to offer any much appreciated advise please?

Thanks all, Ben :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Errmm.....streaming would be be the solution i would imagine.

Just type into the search forums bar streaming and you will be presented with a wealth of knoledge,reviews and users experiance.

Hope this helps:)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think downloads are as good or better than cds, depends what ones you download of course and that is the future plus services like Spotify and Rdio.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ben

You have lots of options open to you and your digital library can sound great if you buy a decent DAC. If you are streaming from your PC/Mac/iPod etc, you pass the signal through the DAC before you feed it into your amp. Products like the Arcam rDac or the Firestone Spitfire will do the job but there are hundreds of DAC's out there to choose from. I think most DAC's under a grand do more or less the same job but it's worth having a listen to a few before you buy to make sure you're getting something that you can live with. For more info on DAC's....

Hope this helps

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
MusicLover33 said:
Hi All,

Although I've got some Technics separates that are about 20 years old and some Bose speakers (sorry - bought without knowledge!), I'm thinking of revamping everything.

My real conundrum is I work in IT and have all music both in CD format (because I hate paying for cra**y digital downloads) and in iTunes in (mostly) AAC format.

What I don't understand is why buy a nice HiFi system and play poor quality AAC or MP3 (please correct me if it's not poor)? Is there any way I can maintain a good quality digital library or do I need to consign myself to never being able to make a playlist again and just swapping CD's?

If there is a good way of making a digital library work, is anyone able to offer any much appreciated advise please?

Ben,

It is quite likely that you would not be able to determine 192Kbps VBR AAC rips from the original CD, almost certainly at 256Kbps. iTunes among other media players, can be used to create every bit as high a quality music library as is possible to get. Digital music libraries need to be played with a media player and the resulting output fed to a DAC and then on to the rest of the system, ie amplification and speakers. Competently performing DACs can be had for very little, amplifiers and speakers are where your money and attentions need to be focused.

BTW, if you like the sound of the Bose speakers, why change them? I wouldn't let prejuduce get in the way of your enjoyment.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MusicLover33 said:
Is there any way I can maintain a good quality digital library or do I need to consign myself to never being able to make a playlist again and just swapping CD's?

Hi Ben, you can just rip your CDs as FLAC or Apple Lossless depending on whether you're a PC user or Windows. No data is lost that way, irrespective of whether you/anyone else thinks they can tell the difference between AAC, MP3 or lossless.

MusicLover33

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks very much for your help! I guess I was wrong about the quality loss on the digital Vs. the CD :)

I will do as you advise and look at a decent DAC and then invest in a small device from which I can administer the playlist. Perhaps a mac mini (assuming I can connect to a DAC).

Thanks also for comment on BOSE... I should probably go out and have a listen to a few speakers. I find Bose have great bass but not sure about the overall effect myself.

Then I guess it's amp time, so will look at what's about now. Any advise on whether to do integrated or pre and power?

Really appreciate all your help - thanks!

All the best, Ben

MusicLover33

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks very much for your help! I guess I was wrong about the quality loss on the digital Vs. the CD :)

I will do as you advise and look at a decent DAC and then invest in a small device from which I can administer the playlist. Perhaps a mac mini (assuming I can connect to a DAC).

Thanks also for comment on BOSE... I should probably go out and have a listen to a few speakers. I find Bose have great bass but not sure about the overall effect myself.

Then I guess it's amp time, so will look at what's about now. Any advise on whether to do integrated or pre and power?

Really appreciate all your help - thanks!

All the best, Ben

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MusicLover33 said:
...invest in a small device from which I can administer the playlist. Perhaps a mac mini (assuming I can connect to a DAC).

Just to put your mind at rest on that one, you most certainly can connect it to a DAC, either optically or via USB. A number of us do just that.

MusicLover33

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

12 designs - budget, undecided but guess i'm going to need to thik about somewhere in the £1,000 region for a decent amp? What d'you reckon? Is pre and power superior to integrated?

MajorFubar - thanks, that's awesome cos I reckon I get get a good little network going with a Mac Mini and have really good accessibility to all the files and the media player to control it that way.

Thanks again all, you've been a great help! Ben

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
MusicLover33 said:
Thanks!

12 designs - budget, undecided but guess i'm going to need to thik about somewhere in the £1,000 region for a decent amp? What d'you reckon? Is pre and power superior to integrated?

MajorFubar - thanks, that's awesome cos I reckon I get get a good little network going with a Mac Mini and have really good accessibility to all the files and the media player to control it that way.

They are expensive things for sure, that's one of the reasons why I think active speakers are such an attractive proposition.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
MusicLover33 said:
Thanks!

They are expensive things for sure, that's one of the reasons why I think active speakers are such an attractive proposition.

I think you can get a decent amp for less than £1,000, look at Audiolab, Creek and Arcam all around £700-£800, maybe less with a discount. To be honest with that sort of money I would consider ADMs which are £1,250 which inc. DAC, Amps and Speakers all within the speaker, all you will need then is a Mac Mini or something similar.

A

Anonymous

MusicLover33 said:

also worth considering DAC and preamp in one box (eg Audiolab M-DAC, Naim DAC V-1) plus separate power amp.

TRENDING THREADS