[newbie] Would a Cambridge Audio CXA60 be fine with my speakers?

Hi all,

I'm here for a very basic question.

I have some Davis Acoustics speakers. Here are the specs on it: 4-8 ohms, nominal power: 100W, max power 150W.

I currently own a Marantz PM 7000 as amplifier (2x95W @ 8 ohm, 2x150 @ 4) and I would like to update a bit my setup with some network capability.

I was looking at the cambridge audio CXA60 + CXN. The CXA outputs 60W @ 8 ohm and 90W @ 4.

Would that be sufficient? Or shall I look for something more powerful?

Thanks!

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
One way to find out...

Richer Sounds are generally very happy to "lend" equipment out if they think there's a vague chance you might buy. What I once enquired about was borrowing a demo amp - paying full price for it and then getting a refund when I returned it, or swapping for a new boxed one. They were fine with that.

rainsoothe

Denis Rouzaud said:
Thanks for your replies. I was just not sure wether the speakers and the amp should be in the same area of power or if one or the other should be more powerful.

Hi. If you're intending to blast at loud volumes, it's preferable to have an amp that has more power than what the speakers can handle. In normal usage, though, people usually keep the volume at the 9-10 o'clock position, and when they go loud, it's at half of the maximum, or a bit over. Whatever goes above that destroys my ears anyway :p

Other then that, best thing you can (and should) do is to audition for yourself, preferably in your own room, with your speakers and source etc.

How big is your room, what kind of music are you into, and what kind of sound do you like? Neutral, warm, bright etc. Also, how do the speakers sound, and, very importantly, what sensitivity do they have? (in their specs, there should be a number like 86db). It's important for making recommendations, as component synergy in a system is the most important thing, imo.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

My speakers have 91dB sensitivity. I start reading a bit more and I now understand this is reasonnabily high, so 60w should be fine, right?

But in the mean time, I saw the Naim Unity Atom and this seems to be what I was waiting for (although not the price;) ).

This makes me asking about the same question for the Unity Atom (2x40W @ 8ohm), will it be fine with such speakers:

Sensitivity: 91 db / Impedance: 4-8 ohms / nominal power: 100W /max power 150W

Thanks gain!

Denis Rouzaud said:

My speakers have 91dB sensitivity. I start reading a bit more and I now understand this is reasonnabily high, so 60w should be fine, right?

But in the mean time, I saw the Naim Unity Atom and this seems to be what I was waiting for (although not the price;) ).

This makes me asking about the same question for the Unity Atom (2x40W @ 8ohm), will it be fine with such speakers:

Thanks gain!

Yes. Those are pretty efficient speakers and, as long as they work well in your room, will quite happily be driven by the Atom up to quite unlistenable levels.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
Denis Rouzaud said:

Thanks gain!

Yes. Those are pretty efficient speakers and, as long as they work well in your room, will quite happily be driven by the Atom up to quite unlistenable levels.

Indeed. 91db sensitivity is actually pretty high, so any amp should work. And, being a Naim fanboy, yes, considering the Atom is what I'd do anyway. But careful with the upgradeitis - it'll make you wonder how good it can sound if you change speakers/cables/whatever :)

Another lower budgy option could be the new Nad C368 with the optional Bluesound Node module. Do try and audition, though :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts