Newbie with NAS..

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I am completely new to all this.. but I know that I only need 1-5TB at the very most for storage. It has to be quiet and the smaller the box the better.

I have seen Synology enclosures for 2 and 4 bays.. I may plump for the 414slim as it has 4 bays and I can expand it at a later date. It comes out at around £300 for 2 x 1TB red drives.. I did not want to limit myself with 2 bay. But saying this there are single hard drives out there that are 3TB... and more. Will 4 bays be better?

Will this be ok ? I don't want to spend more than £300

I know some people will have a preference but for a basic home NAS for music and photos will this be ok..?

And what is RAID and do I need it?

Are Synology reliable?

Any comments for a good home NAS for music will be appreciated.

Thanks..

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
http://www.audiostream.com/content/network-attached-storage-nas-part-1-intro

Well I've found this. Very helpful to someone who is learning, like me.

jjbomber

Stevie9 said:
Hi,

I am completely new to all this.. but I know that I only need 1-5TB at the very most for storage. It has to be quiet and the smaller the box the better.

Any comments for a good home NAS for music will be appreciated.

Thanks..

Brilliant article in this month's magazine on everything you need to know. While your missus is doing the shopping, head over to the magazine section and read the article. Starts on Page 55.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Brilliant article in this month's magazine on everything you need to know. While your missus is doing the shopping, head over to the magazine section and read the article. Starts on Page 55.

Even better, tear the pages out and take them home, so you'll have them for reference later.

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Jbomber,
yep I've seen this useful article but it's about streaming and download music services. It's not really about the practical aspects of different NAS drive configurations.
Thanks ..

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
After quite a bit of online research I am going to plump for the QNAP HS210 enclosure with 2 x 2TB Seagate SSHD (solid state hybrid drive) arranged in RAID 1.

QNAP HS210 is fanless, it sort of uses a plate that radiates off the heat. In effect its noiseless. It also has a rack like design so can sit with the rest of my gear.

SSHD's are a best of both worlds where as they are quick but also hold more than SSD's. They are also a great deal cheaper than SSD's.

So wish me luck.. I am looking forward to shifting all my laptop based tunes onto these.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Stevie9 said:
After quite a bit of online research I am going to plump for the QNAP HS210 enclosure with 2 x 2TB Seagate SSHD (solid state hybrid drive) arranged in RAID 1.

good luck :) Just a quick note to say though, please remember, RAID is not a backup solution, so make sure you either have a backup, or you don't mind re-ripping everything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts