newbie question - ipod vs others vs audio quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just trying to find an upgrade for my iriver T30 (bought 2 years ago) and, not wishing to spend an inordinate amount of cash was looking at a 4GB IPOD Nano. The 1,000 song capacity is based on 128kb recording but, having read through the forums, know that the quality of that is not going to be much good (but maybe good enough for the office). What would be the optimum recording quality vs capacity on the 4GB version?

Any thoughts on alternatievs (seen the Cowon D2 mentioned elsewhere). Not looking to spend much over £100 but trying to maximise capacity & sound quality - not that the philips headphones are top of the range ;-)...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest that whilst 128k is ok for a noisy environment (car on motorway / crowded train) once you remove that background noise, via a quiet environment and/or noise cancelling headphones you will find 128k a bit "splashy".

I would suggest 192k to be the best compromise for a flash player. You should be able to get around 35-40 albums on a 4Gb ripped at 192...

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply - been looking at the cowon I7 and the ipod nano.... big decision......

A

Anonymous

even when reading "cowon has better sound than nano" and the fact that with the nano I am forced to use itunes (not that that is likely to be a problem as I work with computers so find new software (on the whole) easy to pick up)

John Duncan

Yup. Any difference in sound quality between a nano and anything else will be down to the headphones you use (the apple ones are truly pants), I don't see what everybody's issue is with iTunes, and you'll get far more compatible accessories for an iPod than anything else.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply .... had been looking at getting a new stereo too - lots already with IPOD Docs which is convenient - or I can buy one if it doesnt come with one

John Duncan

Yes you can, and it's in this area where the iPod excels, whereas differences in sound quality in players will be less obvious - I have Primare kit at home but listen to most of my music on a nano with Sennheiser CX300s, and am never fretting about any limitations in the ipod's sound....

Edit - whether or not you value the additional functionality of the Cowon is a different matter - SD card slot, for example.....

A

Anonymous

Hi John. I think you and I should start a pro iPod and iTunes thread, as you and I seem to have no problem with iTunes, and with the right headphones, are more than satisfied with the sound production coming out of our iPods.

A

Anonymous

the expandability was one thing that had be thinking.... just downloaded itupes, played quickly and can see it is intuitive and easy to use...... but then use it mainly @ work at the moment so 4GB (40 albums @ 192 or more at worse bit rate) should keep me going long enough......

John Duncan

Or, as Ashley would say - "150 million users can't be wrong". Even if he's wrong about some of it.......
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I'd suggest the Sony Walkman which beats ipod hands down for sound quality and is compatible with mp3, WMA and non DRM AAC so you're not tied to iTunes

A

Anonymous

Well Ipods have their looks and sound Avg if compared to other High end payers like say iRiver TXX and now the soon to come ZEN x-Fi "My next buy for sure"

Also CX300 lack the warmth that a CX400 can give and also check out the V-moda bass Freq. 'I own a pair and i love them'

EDIT:- If you are thinking of Cowon D2 ohh dont look any where else they sound wonderfull with the proper IEM like a CX400, etc...!!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
mahler1:Hi John. I think you and I should start a pro iPod and iTunes thread, as you and I seem to have no problem with iTunes, and with the right headphones, are more than satisfied with the sound production coming out of our iPods.

Don't forget me Mahler1 - A Classic 160 owner and proud of it. I don't understand this "ipods sound pants", as long as you junk the standard phones, they seem pretty darn good to my ears...

A

Anonymous

Hi FBS welcome to the club, that's 3 members so far. As said with good quality headphones(Grado or my favourite Alessandro's)and a small portable headphone amp there is no better convenient portable sound system on the market. Right I have said my piece, bring it on you onlovers of iPods, we 3 are waiting, LET THE WAR BEGIN.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Quite agree John have never had any problems with iTunes,it's saved me a fortune on cd's.

John Duncan

I meant the software as opposed to the store, but yeah it's handy to try something out - if I like, I'll buy the CD and rip it lossless.

But I just don't get the enmity shown here to what, to me, is a rather well designed application.

A

Anonymous

well not got my ipod yet but have downloaded itunes.... seems easy to use (found where to change the rip quality quite easily). Once I use it in anger maybe I will feel different but doubt it.......

A

Anonymous

My only gripe with iTunes is AAC only for purchase downloads, and that it (and the iPod) are not FLAC friendly. Apart from that, me my ipod Touch and iTunes make a very happy 'menage a trois'.

I use Shure SE210's via a Little Dot Micro ÿheadphone amp when out and about but at home it is played either on my Dav-is10 or via my Mac Mini/Logitech 2:1 speakers until I have sorted a system out around a pair of Avi ADM9's.

Anybody else checked out this site?ÿ

ÿwww.computeraudiophile.comÿ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I really rate the 'choons...

It allows me to just pop in a cd, and it even ejects it when finished - very handy as my "media" PC in the lounge only has the TV connected as the monitor, and so I can rip CDs "blind" as it were...

Also, loving the album art, and how simple it is to sort the tagging out.

But yep, if I could download music in ALAC (even for a 10-20% premium) then they would probably steal my business from Amazon / Ebay. But until then, silver disc and ripping it is...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:I really rate the 'choons...

It allows me to just pop in a cd, and it even ejects it when finished - very handy as my "media" PC in the lounge only has the TV connected as the monitor, and so I can rip CDs "blind" as it were...

Also, loving the album art, and how simple it is to sort the tagging out.

But yep, if I could download music in ALAC (even for a 10-20% premium) then they would probably steal my business from Amazon / Ebay. But until then, silver disc and ripping it is...

So you can download a song and convert it to alac, but thatd do no good, is that right? So the only way to have songs in ALAC is to rip them in that format?

A

Anonymous

well got my ipod and have to say am NOT dissapointed. Easy to setup, easy to download tracks form laptop (ripped from CD @ 192kbps), and sound quality is very good...... long may this relationship last

A

Anonymous

Hi robw, nice and simple what more could you ask for, another member for our ipod gang.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts