Newbie question: 1 amp and 2 sets of speakers

Perudo

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
Hello
Just another newbie question:
I would like to run an amp with a speaker set to my kitchen and another to my living room. The amp doesn’t have A/B speaker connections and I wonder if it is ok to use a speaker switch box? I would not run the speakers simultaneously and switch when amp is turned off . Would such a box affect the sound in anyway? Are there any good high end (passive?) box you would recommend?

Perudo

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
Not really. The amp will be 15 meters from living room and 10 meters from the kitchen. I will switch between both rooms on a daily basis

Gray

It's less than than ideal to have extra switch contacts - but it's no worse than if the amp did have A/ B switches.
(Arguably 10 and 15 metre runs of cable would have more detrimental effect than (clean) contacts in a switchbox- and good stuff would be fairly expensive).

If it was me and the main amp had fixed level ('tape') outputs, I would run twin screened cable to a small, cheap but good, single-input amp (have a look at a Lepy 2020A) in the kitchen.
That way you get local volume control of the source playing on the main system....with no additional switch contacts.

Perudo

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
It's less than than ideal to have extra switch contacts - but it's no worse than if the amp did have A/ B switches.
(Arguably 10 and 15 metre runs of cable would have more detrimental effect than (clean) contacts in a switchbox- and good stuff would be fairly expensive).

If it was me and the main amp had fixed level ('tape') outputs, I would run twin screened cable to a small, cheap but good, single-input amp (have a look at a Lepy 2020A) in the kitchen.
That way you get local volume control of the source playing on the main system....with no additional switch contacts.
Makes sense. I still have my Rotel A11 that I could use for that

Reactions: Gray

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello
Just another newbie question:
I would like to run an amp with a speaker set to my kitchen and another to my living room. The amp doesn’t have A/B speaker connections and I wonder if it is ok to use a speaker switch box? I would not run the speakers simultaneously and switch when amp is turned off . Would such a box affect the sound in anyway? Are there any good high end (passive?) box you would recommend?

No, but the long lengths of cable could be a problem

Just buy a pair of sonos play speakers for the kitchen and keep the rotel off. Cheaper than buying 30 meters of speaker cable, trunking, and boxes to hide the wire.

and if you want multi room

Sonos amp at one end of the room for legacy gear and whatnot and play 1s, 2, 5s in the other rooms/kitchen

believe you cast anything that is feeding the sonos amp to other speakers.

Perudo

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
No, but the long lengths of cable could be a problem

Just buy a pair of sonos play speakers for the kitchen and keep the rotel off. Cheaper than buying 30 meters of speaker cable, trunking, and boxes to hide the wire.

and if you want multi room

Sonos amp at one end of the room for legacy gear and whatnot and play 1s, 2, 5s in the other rooms/kitchen

believe you cast anything that is feeding the sonos amp to other speakers.
I understand the ease of use, but it is not an option. I want a decent sounding setup in my kitchen with my turntable Hooked up ( I only listen to streaming in my car) I bought Qacoustic 3020i for the purpose . I spend quite a lot of time in my kitchen 😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts