Newbie preamp question

Rob Jenkins

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

My current set up is a Marantz PM6005 amp and a Clearaudio Concept with the Performer cartridge. Will I get much benefit from adding a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II preamp?

The reason I ask is this line from the Phonomena manual; "DO NOT PLUG THE PHONOMENA II OUTPUT INTO A “PHONO” INPUT. Use the standard LINE IN jacks, as phono jacks often include special circuitry that is not needed when using a phonograph preamplifier."

But I can't see anywhere other than Phono input to put the interconnects? I guess my question is basically can you run a preamp though an integrated amp?

Cheers, Rob

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
is don't plug a phono preamp into the phono input of a built in phono preamp within the integrated amplifier. I think the Marantz has an option for built in phono stage. If yours has this fitted don't plug an external preamp into it. Use one of the other inputs.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Rob Jenkins said:
But I can't see anywhere other than Phono input to put the interconnects?

As ifor says, you need to plug the pre-amp into a line-level input. The PM 6005 has four line-level inputs next to the phono-level input: 'Tuner', 'CD', 'Network', 'Recorder'. Just plug the pre-amp into one of these that you're not using for something else. It doesn't matter that it's not marked 'phono' - that just marks the input which has a built-in phono pre-amp. Obviously when you use your turntable, you'll have to select 'Tuner' (or whichever) instead of 'Phono'. Of course this means you lose one of the 5 available inputs, because you'll have nothing to plug into 'Phono', so if you're already using all 5, you'll have to ditch one of them. That's why I haven't upgraded to a phono pre-amp.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Rob Jenkins

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Great, thanks for the replies. It makes sense now - I wasn't sure what they meant by 'line level input' but your comments have cleared that up!

I'm going to go for this.

Thanks, Rob

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Turntables put out a signal at a far lower level than things like CD players (which put out a signal as what's called 'line level'), which is why you need a phono pre-amp to boost the signal (there's also a thing called the RIAA curve, which the phono stage corrects). If you plug a turntable straight into a line-level input, you'll get a very faint and tinny sound. If you plug a turntable into a phono pre-amp and then into the phono input of your amp, you'll probably blow your speakers because the signal will have been boosted (and the bass boosted) twice!

Rob Jenkins

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
So my setup now is the Marantz PM6005 amp, the Musical Surroundings preamp, Clearaudio Concept and Tannoy XTF8 speakers.

Everything's been fine until now, but I've recently noticed a hum from my speakers when the amp is set to the turntable. Also powering the preamp on and off causes the speaker cones to jolt violently.

Should I be concerned? Is it a connection / earthing issue?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Rob Jenkins said:
So my setup now is the Marantz PM6005 amp, the Musical Surroundings preamp, Clearaudio Concept and Tannoy XTF8 speakers.

Everything's been fine until now, but I've recently noticed a hum from my speakers when the amp is set to the turntable. Also powering the preamp on and off causes the speaker cones to jolt violently.

Should I be concerned? Is it a connection / earthing issue?

If you mean by 'amp' you mean the Marantz, then it will hum a bit on phono, because there's nothing connected to that input is there? Turn the amp to another input if the thump from the pre-amp as you turn it off worries you.

Rob Jenkins

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
The amp is actually set to 'Recorder 1' when I want to listen to vinyl, as that is where the preamp is connected. That caused me some confusion initially, as explained above.

But yeah, I only get the jolt when the amp is set to that. I've never noticed it until now. Although I was just listening maybe a bit louder than usual... And you're right, when I turn to Aux or CD I don't get the speaker movement.

TRENDING THREADS