Newbie needs advice please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, just joined so i thought id say hello to you all!

Basically i have a fairly old setup acquired 5 years ago for almost nothing from a friend of my dads, at the moment i mainly just use my laptop to play music through a Technics SU-600 amp and a pair of Jamo Studio 105 speakers with Gale XL189 cables. I know very little about either speakers or amp, but the sound is fairly good for a starter setup. In the whole time ive had it the only trouble i had was with the amp power supply, and when it had been repaired the guy told me it wasn't a very common unit but one that was worth hanging onto rather than replacing until i could afford some pretty serious kit.

Unfortunately the front right channel has given up the ghost, some of the signal is still getting to the speaker but its very weak, which makes me suspect a poor connection somewhere inside the amp.

As my birthday is coming up, im looking to either replace the amp, or repair it and replace the speakers... Either way the upper limit for the upgrades is £200, which i realise isnt a lot, but enough to find something half decent, be it ex-display or brand new. The trouble is im not a hifi expert and so don't know which of the two are the weaker link in the chain. I will post as much of the specs as i know below, but i dont know how well (or badly) matched they are, and if there would be any equipment that you could recommend?

Technics SU-600: 20hz-20Khz (both channels driven) 2x30W 1Khz (both channels driven) 2x50W, Impedance 4-16 or 8-16 ohms dependent on main OR remote, or main AND remote channels being driven.

Jamo Studio 105: Short Term 105W, Long Term 50W, Freq. response 60hz - 20Khz, impedance 4-8 ohms.

Thanks in advance!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the WHFSV forums Skatty!

Richer Sounds have the Marantz PM6002 for £199 - an absolute steal.

I would start there, and then upgrade the speakers as and when funds allow. The Marantz is a cracking amp and will be cope with quite a few upgrades of either source (cd etc) or speakers. It will drive your Jamos without any issues.

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot guys... I had been leaning towards a speaker upgrade, i listened to a pair of Mordaunt Short 914i's and they were far less boomy than the jamo's, but that may be due to mine being in a tiny room in an old terraced house, rather than a dedicated listening room. One question though will a 45W amp be a little powerful for some fairly old 50W speakers? Or will it add more to their sound compared to the Technics unit? At the moment it seems fairly well paired in the sense that there is minimal clipping of the sound until the amp is almost at full volume. Or is this because the speakers still have more to give but the amp can't keep up?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I think it's the speakers.MS 9 series have a very particular sound.if you like it...so for them.I'd buy something different

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts