Newbie needing some advice on setup!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been reading through the reviews and forums and trying to get a handle on what I need to know. I'm still quite new at this and haven't spent a decent amount of money on a Hi-Fi system before.

I've ripped everything I own into FLAC, and my flatmates also have a range of MP3's. What I want to do is put all of this on a NAS and stream it to the stereo. What I've been thinking of is this:

NAS: Netgear Readynas Duo
Network Player: Squeezebox Duet (wired over ethernet)
DAC: Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Amp: Marantz PM6003
Speakers: EB Acoustics EB1s

Do you think this would be a good setup? Would I be better spending more money on an amp and less on speakers? Also do you think that the difference the DacMagic will make is worth the money? Obviously this is something I can add later, but will the Squeezebox going directly into the amp still sound decent?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Hi gremboid

I can't comment on Squeezebox or a outboard DAC because I'm kinda old fashioned in that respect.....
emotion-1.gif

The best advice I can offer is to try and listen to two or three different combos. Going by the amp and speakers they would be fine. However good reviews and star ratings are, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a sound you like. Only your ears and gut feeling will tell you.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Good luck.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What type of music do you listen to and have you got money/or have you budgeted for decent speaker stands and interconnects/speaker cable?

As PP said you really need to demo as much as you can but there are also a lot of variables that can be added to your choice of kit.

NAD, Rotel and Cambridge Audio do some very good entry-level to midrange priced amps that will compete with, if not better the Marantz.

Wharfedale, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Rega, Klipsch and Monitor Audio also have the same with speakers that can compete against the EB Acoustic speakers and better them with the right kit and for the right type of music.

Don't judge a system of reviews and write-ups. Get demo'ing and see what fits your budget and hearing :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'll be heading out over the next few weeks to try things out! Thanks for your help though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I get the impression - from what I have read about the EB1's - that they deserve a better amplifier than the Marantz.

I would suggest (initially at least) you skip the DacMagic and put it's £250 towards the amp budget and run with the Squeezebox's own built in DAC for now.

T

the record spot

Acoustic Energy AE22s, either the passive or actives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts