Question Newbie: How to Start?

morcheeba

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone

First time poster and a complete Hi-Fi noob here; but I've been reading / browsing the site for quite some time. I want to follow the set-up here: https://www.whathifi.com/features/the-perfect-digital-hi-fi-system-for-music-streaming-and-cds

First question: I might have missed this on the site or here in the forum but is there a step-by-step guide for newbies like me?

My other questions are:
  • Can I set this up on my own or do I need a professional to help me? In other words, are these all plug & play?
  • I need to invest on better speaker cables (from the amp to the speakers), right? But shuold I also get better cables to connect the CD player to the amp, or the one that comes with it good enough already?
  • Other tips / advice?

Thanks!!!

D

Deleted member 195594

Hi everyone

First time poster and a complete Hi-Fi noob here; but I've been reading / browsing the site for quite some time. I want to follow the set-up here: https://www.whathifi.com/features/the-perfect-digital-hi-fi-system-for-music-streaming-and-cds

First question: I might have missed this on the site or here in the forum but is there a step-by-step guide for newbies like me?

My other questions are:
  • Can I set this up on my own or do I need a professional to help me? In other words, are these all plug & play?
  • I need to invest on better speaker cables (from the amp to the speakers), right? But shuold I also get better cables to connect the CD player to the amp, or the one that comes with it good enough already?
  • Other tips / advice?

Thanks!!!

Hi there 😊

Welcome to the hobby/forum 😊.

I'm certainly not an expert, and there are far more experienced members here, but I can give you few pointers.

I assume you've given consideration to the room your new gear will be homed in, and something to place your gear on.

You definitely do not need a professional to set up the gear you are considering; as long as you're able to match the "positive" and "negative" connections of the interconnects from the Node and CD players' outputs to the inputs on you amplifier, and the same for speaker cable from your amp's speaker outputs to your speakers' inputs that's as difficult as it gets connecting it all up.

For the Node, you will need a Smart device such as a smart phone or tablet to run the Bluesound app - BluOS. Very easy to set up; if using an ethernet, wired connection from your Internet router, just plug it in and you'll be connected to your homes network.

If using WiFi, you'll need to go into the BluOS app and follow the set up instructions, and enter your WiFi access password to connect.

If you have a subscription to streaming services, such as Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz for example , you can access your accounts directly from the Node's app - you just need to enter your access details and passwords for whichever streaming services you subscribe to.

As for cables, just make sure you buy speakers cables of sufficient length to run from amp to speakers (I've made the mistake if buying too short a length 😝)

As for quality cables, don't get hung up on this, it's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down, especially as you're just starting out. At this level, interconnects differences are very subtle, and I wouldn't spend a lot or wreck your head with it.

For interconnects between CD player and Node, to you amp, use what's supplied to start, to give yourself a baseline while your equipment settles, speakers go through their mechanical break in, and you become familiar with what your system is doing.

For speaker cables, again don't get hung up on this; buy something that is modestly priced but from a reputable brand, such as QED, Mogami, just to name a couple. There are so many brands producing well built speaker cables at reasonable prices, the Internet is your friend in this regard. The same for your interconnects should you wish to replace the stock cables that comes with your source components.

I won't go into speaker positioning in your room, as I'm definitely not an expert on this at all, but there many more experienced members here who can advise. This will come in to play when you actually get yiur new equipment home and start to set up in your listening space.

Hope this helps 😊 and good luck with your HiFi journey 👍

You should be able to set it up yourself, though best to try before buying - don't be afraid of listening to other options and seeing which sound you prefer.

How big is your listening room? You need to take that into account when choosing speakers - generally, floorstanders require more room. And whatever you get, you'll need to experiment with positioning to get the best from them.

Re cables - when having your demo, ask to try some alternatives, but don't ask for the dealer's opinions in advance or how much they cost - try them 'blind'. If you hear a difference*, go with it, if not, don't. You'll get very strong opinions in both directions here, so make your own mind up.

(*By which I mean if you are confident that you hear a difference for the better. If you 'think you do', just keep swapping back and forth whilst listening to the same piece - often the perceived difference disappears.)

Last edited:
Reactions: morcheeba and Gray
As others have right suggested, you need to work out whether standmount (bookshelf) speakers or floorstanders are best suited to your room. If it is the former you need to budget for dedicated speaker stands.

Set yourself a 'ceiling' where a budget is concerned. Contact a reputable dealer and tell them what type of system you require. Do not let a dealer try and persuade you to exceed your budget.

Any good dealer should spend time with you and show you in layman's terms how to get started in this mad world of audio/visual.

Reactions: morcheeba
@painter24 @plastic penguin @jjbomber @12th Monkey
Thank you for the comprehensive replies and advice guys! Much appreciated!

The room is approx. 50sqm. What kind of speakers should I consider?
Thanks again!
Floorstanders! But then the feature you quote shows those.

Are you in the UK? Most dealers will show you how it all connects together, and every step is in the manuals, many of which you can browse in advance on line if you’re curious.

Stick to those sources, and try to hear 2 or 3 alternative speaker pairs. You’ll soon hear how they all have a different ‘voice’.

As other's have said there is no step by step guide because every newbie is different.
If you can read an instruction manual you should be able to set up a simple system yourself or at least have a dealer show you how it goes together.
So, find a decent dealer if there are any where ever you live and ask their opinions.
No you don't need better speaker cable as, as far as I am aware, you don't currently have any......:)

gasolin

You can change the amp,streamer to the Audiolab 6000a play and change the cdplayer

Cd transporter

That's £1248 vs £1397 and i think you will get better sound

Im in Manila :) Are bookshelf speakers good too? Or for the size of he room, floorstanders are more ideal?

Thanks!
We should call them standmount speakers, really, because the last place they sound good is on a bookshelf. They can work well enough - in our room which is around 25sq m. But I’d definitely recommend floorstanding for your space, unless it’s full of furniture, as they have a similar ‘footprint’ and will drive a larger room more evenly.

morcheeba

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
You can change the amp,streamer to the Audiolab 6000a play and change the cdplayer

Cd transporter

That's £1248 vs £1397 and i think you will get better sound

By the way, are slot-in CD players reliable? My experience (albeit, with basic players), is that they usually get faulty after a few years (i.e. CD gets stuck, CD won't enter upon the first try). Thanks!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
By the way, are slot-in CD players reliable? My experience (albeit, with basic players), is that they usually get faulty after a few years (i.e. CD gets stuck, CD won't enter upon the first try). Thanks!

yes they are less reliable due to there very nature and design. Rollers can get very dirty and greasy over time especially if you have a a habit of touching the actual disc the rubber on the rollers also get sticky naturally over time as they get older . And being an “open” design more contamination can enter the system.
In my experience I wouldn’t touch them even if it had the best sound.

TRENDING THREADS