Newbie Home Cinema Questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've currently got a hi-fi setup (Nait 5i, Monitor Audio RS6 floorstanders, DACMagic and Squeezebox) that I'm happy with and now want to dip into home cinema. Budget is about £750.

I don't really want to fill the room with more large speakers like the rest of the MA speaker package. So, my first thought was a completely separate setup, something like Sony STR DH-800 and a compact Jamo or Boston Acoustics speaker package. But it seems a waste not to be using those floorstanders in there at all.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Andy

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You wont go far wrong with the STR DH-800, it is a good amp and reasonably easy to set up, it also supports 7.1 if that rings your bell.

As regard speakers as you say it does seem a shame not to use the RS 6's. I suggest you audition a centre speaker from the same maker, then decide what you are going to do for surrounds.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I've 'added on' a Yamaha AV amp to my Nait5i so can still use my Dynaudio 52SEs as fronts. I've added a Dynaudio centre I bought 2nd hand for about £100 as opposed to about £400 new.

However, to complete the Dynaudio set up (rears and sub) would be way too pricey and the smallest speakers are still too large. I reckon this would be your problem with extending the MA kit?

I therefore have a system that's wonderful for 2 channel but is somewhat compromised on 5.1 due to the different speakers used (very old Kef rears and a Paradigm sub).

I've often thought if I could have two separate systems with smaller speakers for the AV set up what I'd lose in not using the Dynaudio fronts would be made up by a good deal improved cohesion and a better overall AV experience.

If you were thinking off adding to your current system then I don't believe the Sony amp you mention has the necessary pre outs...

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You're right in that it doesn't have the pre outs, but he is on a budget of £750, and he does have to buy speakers. The Sony amp will set him back about £260 which leaves him £490 to buy a centre sub and surrounds. If he bought the Jamo package then he could consider spending more on the amp.

A

Anonymous

But I guess I'd need pre-outs if I was going to make use of the existing speakers wired though the Nait.

Sevenoaks are doing the other Monitor Audio components at a good price, but I'm really put off by the size. And I suspect my gf would be even more upset!

Not being used to surround systems, if I could pick up a cheapish AV with pre-outs, could I mix and match my floorstanders with some compact style rears - Jamo/Kef/Boston whatever - or would that just sound terrible?

A

Anonymous

you could buy a yamaha rxv765 for £300 from richer sounds , thats a fine amp (ive got one) and has pre outs ..

connect your rs6s to your stereo amp ..

stereo amp to yamaha..

then youve got £450 for a centre , sats and sub ..

im currently using a pair of rx6 fronts with ma bronze centre , sub and sats and its great for movies ..

you could nearly get those out of your £450 , on ebay .. or even new..sorted..

A

Anonymous

Which would be nice, and in budget, but I really don't want the size of the bronze centre/sub/sats.

Really looking for a small style package - but can I/should I integrate those with the floorstanders. That's really my question.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'd say you can for the surrounds but if you try to use a small satellite as your centre speaker you're really going to notice it, the centre channel carries 60% of the soundtrack typically, after all.

A

Anonymous

just my tuppence worth,,,

I'd keep your stereo set up as is and get the sony str800 which is a great av amp for the money and add the Boston acoustics soudware XS........................................................job done without taking up to much room!

Sony str 800........£239.95

Boston Acoustics soundware xs £350

leaving £160..........for

SONY BDPS360 £99 and £60 left for speaker cable and 2 That Cable hdmi leads.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts