Newbie help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there,

I recently inherited a heap of interesting old vinyl and, next to what I had already, I thought I'd like to return to playing it. Now that digital media is with us the CD is dead, right?

So I looked up a few reviews and thought that the Project Debut III came in at about right for my budget. Unfortunately I didn't read closely enough and ended up also buying a Cambridge Audio 540p, since my existing amp -- a Sony STR DE375 -- didn't have a phono input. It all goes through a pair of Eltax Symphony 4.2.

(Okay, bear with me here, I know the amp and speakers aren't up to much, but I'm going to change bits as I can afford to -- it's basically an old home cinema set up I wasn't using any more.)

So it's all plugged in, as is my iTouch. But what's really bugging me is that I'm not getting a decent sound from the vinyl. The bass seems fine, and when a track is pretty simple -- just acoustic guitar and vocals, say -- I really enjoy it. But as soon as the sound fills out to a full rock band scenario, it all starts to sound terrible. Sort of tinny or underpowered somehow.

You might be keen to blame my rubbish set up, but when I play the same songs digitally through the iTouch, I get a better sound. It's not awesome or anything, but it just sounds fuller, or more rounded.

So, am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that some bit of my kit just isn't working right? Is that 540p just rubbish? I think the sound I'm getting is not just audiophile bad, but something that would annoy you in a little ghettoblaster.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. I'm quite deflated at the moment.

Cheers,
Joe

iMark

Sounds like your cartridge is not properly balanced or you don't use the proper weight/anti skating for your cartridge. If you're cartridge is not properly set up you will suffer from bad tracking because the stylus will not follow the groove properly.

Have a look at the manual and try to set up your deck again. It will sound much better.

I have set up many record players since the 1970s and first balancing the arm/cartridge and then applying the right weight to the cartridge makes a huge difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts