newbie after some help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just bought my first record deck so i'm pretty new to all this. I just have a few queries as to how to set it up.

I realise i have to buy a phono preamp for it, any suggestions as to a good starter one which will be good quality yet it won't break the bank. I'm also after some good speakers.

What cable/wires will be needed to wire everything together and also how do you wire the speakers from the amp?

you r help is much appreciated,

thanks, dan

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the What Hifi Sound & Vision forums! We can offer you plenty of help, but we need to know what amplifier you're using and what turntable (record deck) you have. The problem is, there is equipment out there that doesn't really match together - ie you may have a really smooth sounding amp along with really smooth speakers leading to an overly smooth sound, if you get me!

Also we need to know your budget; the world of Hi-Fi covers a broad spectrum of prices. You can get speakers from £70 to over £70,000!

Feel free to browse previous previous posts regarding what you are looking for - no doubt the items concerned will pop-up!

All the best!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Basics are you need some good interconnects (amp to turntable) from the likes of Chord, IXOS, Van Den Hul, and some good speaker cable (amp to speakers) like QED. Prepare to pay at least £30 for an interconnect, more if your turntable and amp are £300+, and about £5+ per metre for speaker cable.

Then of course there's a good mains lead for your turntable and amp (circa £50 each), and a decent equipment stand particularly because a turntable will benefit hugely from a decent support that stops vibrations affecting it. Even CD players and amps benefit from this and a turntable is even more reliant on being removed from sound wave vibrations.

A

Anonymous

Also remember alot of cables require you to connect it in the direction of the arrows. Arrows should eventually lead to the speakers. So a turntable interconnect will go from deck to amp and speaker cable from amp to speakers.

Have fun!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
if your amp has no phono input then the cambridge 640p at £60.00 is the way to go.as for wiring up your speaker cables + to red and - to black on the back of your amp.speaker cables have these markings or a rib down one side and a smooth sleeve on the other so rib to red.qed are good cables to start with from about a pound per metre.you will need an interconnect for the phono amp again qed make decent cables from around £20.00 per metre.

A

Anonymous

Yes, as said, QED is the way to go. QED Quenex 1 is a great interconnect for just over £20.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts