Newbie advice wanted

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok peeps greetings and salutations {typo)

I am in need of advice re: upgrade/. renew of my existing juke box .It basically consist of ;

Pair of Tanoy M20 golds which i have owned since new circa 1980

Arcam amp A70

Arcam CD 73

And thats about it

My musical taste is quite varied, Being a big kid from 1963 was weened on the dullcett tones of Nat K C and then took to rock n blues, Zepp mad teenager have a fondness for clasical ( listened to Beethoven Stmp nos.5 &7 ) twice last night ( wife was out )First time amp wasnot warm so sounded better second time around.. Love jazz too (play a little guitar )

The main reason for considering an upgrade is i feel i am missing something when i listen intentley eg bottom end and seperation of sounds . does this make any sense or is it my 50 year old hearing going to pot

Look forward to reading your expert replies

TTFN paul

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there WC (Sir!), welcome to the forum.

If you want some useful advice, can you give details like:

- Budget

- Room Size

- Standmount or Floorstander

- Is a Streamer being considered

A

Anonymous

Yes sorry for leaving out the detail

Room is approx 4ml x 3mw x 2.5 h Small lounge with no sound control , wood flooring , plain walls

Will be playing CDs mostly ( if thats what you mean by streaming) Sorry for my ignorance LOL

Buget 5k region , any speaker config will be ok (so long as she likes the look /colour/shape )

Thanks Paul

A

Anonymous

Oh and it will only be used for listening music ...none of that 5;1 7;1 9;1 surround sound stuff :)

A

Anonymous

wingcommander said:
Ok peeps greetings and salutations {typo)

I am in need of advice re: upgrade/. renew of my existing juke box .It basically consist of ;

Pair of Tanoy M20 golds which i have owned since new circa 1980

Arcam amp A70

Arcam CD 73

And thats about it

My musical taste is quite varied, Being a big kid from 1963 was weened on the dullcett tones of Nat K C and then took to rock n blues, Zepp mad teenager have a fondness for clasical ( listened to Beethoven Stmp nos.5 &7 ) twice last night ( wife was out )First time amp wasnot warm so sounded better second time around.. Love jazz too (play a little guitar )

The main reason for considering an upgrade is i feel i am missing something when i listen intentley eg bottom end and seperation of sounds . does this make any sense or is it my 50 year old hearing going to pot

Look forward to reading your expert replies

TTFN paul

Before splashing out the cash, it's worth getting a hearing check if you have doubts about your ears, my hearing started to loose high frequencies at 50, then with the knowledge that your hearing is up to scratch hopefully, do some listening tests at a good Hi-Fi shop with a listening room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul.....£5k is a good budget, so you need to listen to a few alternatves to get it right.

A Streamer is not a CDP, but is more future proof as (imo) they are handier, more versatile and better sounding...giving overall better VFM.

Your CDs are ripped to a hard drive (preferably a NAS - Networked attached storage), and then played through a Streamer (Like a Linn DS).

SOURCE.

Rega Apollo R CDP

Electrocompaniet PC-1 ex-dem eg. £825 @ Kronos AV

Linn Sneaky DS / Majik DS

AMPS

Sugden Mystro

Sugden A21

Electrocompaniet ECI-3

Musical Fidelity M3i / M6i

Creek Destiny

SPEAKERS

Kef R Series

Proac Response D1/D2 and possibly D18

Spendor SA1 / A3 /A5 / A6

Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 / 1.5

Epos

Vienna Acoustics

This is a starting point - as I'm sure you will get other suggestions.....I've tried not to pick brands that will be too much of a shock after Arcam.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts