Newbie advice re first system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please excuse the novice-type questions but I am just getting back into hi-fi separates after many years so any advice would be welcome.

Thinking of buying a Hi-Fi separates system - after reading the What Hifi articles I would probably go for a Marantz CD6003 & PM6003 which seem to have good recommendations and not bad for a starting point. Had a demo locally and was impressed. There are some interesting offers at the moment combining these with Wharfedale speakers for about £599 but having heard the Marantz's demo through some Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2's I think I may go for these instead. I.e. I'm assuming the Wharfedale's wouldn't be as good a sound as the Mordaunts?

Some of the current package offers re £599 quote 'basic cables only' - not sure what this means - whereas others e.g. Creative Audio quote £665 inc '5 QED Original speaker cable & QED Qunex 2 stereo interconnect'. Any thoughts please?

Re a FM/DAB tuner (such as Denon 1800TU) - might add this later so, in the meantime could I connect my Pure Evoke 2 through the Marantz amp (or any other) to the Pure temporarily as a basic tuner?

Note - at the demo of the Marantz system I also heard the Teac Ref 600 through the same Mordaunt speakers and this system sounded marginally better. The only thing against it (and this may sound odd) is that being small in size and combining tuner / CD / Amp into two smallish items it looked a bit like some of the midi / micro systems that I've had over the years - I like to see something for my money! I did like the wireless internet radio feature though but I'm not sure how you could protect such a system from computer viruses?

Apologies if this all sounds a bit simplistic - I did say I was a novice, I just want a decent sound system for my CD collection (mainly rock / pop focussed on 80's to date) and a bit of radio so I don't need anything high end. Budget wise - the £600 package plus say £200 for a tuner sounds OK but I could go to £1000 - £1200 if I had to. Many thanks for reading and for any advice forthcoming!

Gary

A

Anonymous

Gary

Go for the Marantz as you suggested but why do you want to spoil the system with a tuner?

No matter how good the tuner is you can't beat the sound of a cd spinning in a decent system...

With regards to the speakers if I was you I would look at the B&W bookshelf 685's or 686 or Dynaudios depending on your budget!!!

That would sound great and that's coming from a serious Cyrus fan!!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I do listen to the radio a fair bit so it would be a useful addition but not essential initially. The 685's are another option that I'm considering - they seem to have good reviews even better that the Mezzo 2's from what I can see. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts