News New Wharfedale speakers...

Rumour is these new Dovedales could be priced around £5K........😳 with that "made in England" premium!
Ouch, more power to the new Epos.... :)
I know the Dovedales have more drivers but these new retro speakers seem to be priced rather highly when you consider the opposition, that's Harbeth HL5 Plus XD territory.

Last edited:
I think the success of the Linton speaker has perhaps gone to their head a little.....?
They obviously using the tooling and technology. But speakers the of Dovedale and Linton will have a fairly limited UK audience, as many, like yours truly, want something more compact (more affordable). IMO 4-5k for a pair of speakers is way outside a lot of UK pockets.

They obviously using the tooling and technology. But speakers the of Dovedale and Linton will have a fairly limited UK audience, as many, like yours truly, want something more compact (more affordable). IMO 4-5k for a pair of speakers is way outside a lot of UK pockets.
I would imagine they will go down well in Japan.....
and we will see a flood of old Dovedales on eBay.... :)

LesterPJ

May 23, 2022
Visit site
Rumour is these new Dovedales could be priced around £5K........😳 with that "made in England" premium!

Peter Comeau talks about the Lintons in the YouTube link saying that they are like Lintons on steroids and a 3 way in the Lintons' vein. The Lintons with stands are £1250. These Dovedales look similar too so should be about £1750 (£2000 tops) if they are directly comparable but the next one up.

So if £5K turns out to be about right the "made in England" premium makes the price 2.5 plus times the made in China price. (This seems a bit on the low side to me as Chinese manufacturing is much cheaper.) Assuming the Lintons are perfectly well made in China this is tapping into sentimentality about when things were made in blighty and charging the customer several thousands for it rather than improving the product which should be the same wherever it is made.

At the end of the youtube video I was redirected to the following link about relaunching the Mission 700.

HighEnd Munich 2022 - New Mission 700 - Designer Peter C. telling us about it - YouTube

Unlike the Dovedales, which I like the look of, these have the 1970s' look - a reminder of why the 70s became known as the decade that taste forgot. (For some reason they brought Blakes' 7 to mind.) If made in England they will probably also charge a huge premium for that warm sentimental feeling.

Reactions: Tinman1952

LesterPJ

May 23, 2022
Visit site
Hum, if the 770's are £3300 I wonder what their baby brother is going to cost?
My guess is £1890

So that's £750 or so for the actual pair of 700 speakers and stands and £1140 for the Made In England sticker.

(I wonder if the Made in England sticker is made in England? Maybe they have bought it from China!)

Gray

I don't even remember what I did with my Glendales, but no doubt, like most vintage things, people will now be paying more than the original price (even allowing for inflation etc.)

At least these updates provide a bit of modernity - not that it justifies the prices of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts