New vintage set up.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got :

Cyrus One amp

Technics SL-J1 turntable

Amp sounds great, tried with ma bx1, source PC playing flac files straight from headphone jack.,

Waiting for TT to arrive, only £22 so will see.

Any advice for speakers, thinking some old Missions or Wharfedales. Other source will be Sansa Clip.

For conservatory/ outside listening.

Cheers in advance.

Was very impressed with the amps sound,always wanted one after hearing a friends dads system in the eighties.

Should I buy s/h speakers or new? ( another question I know)

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
I've always found Cyrus work best with Dynaudio speakers (Audience 42, 52 and 52SE). They quite often pop up on Fleebay. Try and avoid hard domed tweeters, especially the early Cyruses.

Cheers will look out for them

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your retro system. I first heard an early plastic-cased Cyrus 1 attached to a pair of MkII Wharfedale Diamonds. Source was a midi-sized Pioneer PD-X88. The year was 1988. I'd borrowed the amp from a college friend who had all his gear in boxes in readiness for moving house. The speakers and CDP were mine, and at the time I was using a JVC AX-440 amp I bought from my mum's mail-order catalogue.

I'd read a lot about the Cyrus in WHF? but compared to my JVC it looked like something thrown together in someone's shed, so I didn't treat it with much seriousness. I borrowed it out of curiosity, more than anything. I mean it didn't even have tone controls or a loudness switch. How rubbish was that?

Then I made the mistake of plugging it in. After I'd heard it with my speakers I felt like setting fire to the JVC and it wiped the smile clean-off my cocky teenaged face. So I do laugh a bit on occasion when someone starts a thread claiming that all amps sound the same.

Happy listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts