New universal player - help in decision

geek

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey
My +15 years old Sony cd player is beginning to give way. I'm thinking of buying a universal (blue ray) player. I have a +200 cd collection and will not stop listening to them for some time. I need some user information regargind the following candidates:

Oppo 103
Pioneer BDP LX 58
Onkyo BD SP 809
Denon SI DBT1713
Philips CDP9700 Fidelo
Marantz UD5007
Should I even buy a blue ray plaer or just buy a good CD player and later maybe a dedicated DAC?

Thank you for any kind of info

I've got Oppo 103D and cannot recommend it highly enough.

You can also look at Marantz UD5007 and Denon 1713UD.

Of course, this would make sense only if you intend to use it as a blu ray player as well, and not merely for CD duties.

What's the rest of your system like?

geek

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank for the reply and for the Denon. I have to check with the importer for the price (Europe).

Judging by the rave reviews the Oppo is the natural winner, although Ive never tested it in person. The Philips is the underdog for me; 300 EU cheaper and it plays everything, The DAC is is Burr Brown, toridal transformer.

CD playing would be the main job of the player, some downloaded music, some downloaded film, some dvd. Why buy a DVD when the blue ray players are only a slight step in the price?

Why buy a CD only? A good CD player with a USB input will set me back at least 500 EU.

The amp is a Cyrus Integrated 6, speakers are Acoustic Energy. 2 chanels are enough for me.

That Philips isn't available in the UK so no idea.

Bear in mind that Philips sold its audiovisual business to Funai. So even though the badge says Philips, it's not manufactured by Philips themselves.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/31648/philips-to-exit-audiovisual-business-with-sale-to-funai/

geek

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

after a weekend of pondering the question I have ccome to the following conclusions; I don't need a blue ray or a so-called ''unversal player''. I tried to remember when was the last time I watched a dvd, or listend to an digital form of music other than a cd. The search will go to a good cd player with a possible usb input.

The movies I watch are via HBO on demand or the library of my internet-tv provider. Also internet radio with audio connection to my amp. I can still buy a dvd, blue ray player later on.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
My experience and my request....

I sold my Oppo BDP-103EU and then I bought a Sony S7200 ... what a mistake!!!!! Video performances of Sony S7200 really disappointed me. Today I sold my S7200 on eBay and I'm just looking for a new player.

I have 2 main options in my mind: Marantz UD5007 and Pioneer LX58 ... Marantz at 510€ and Pioneer at 640€

which one is the best? Marantz has a lot of good feedbacks, but Pioneer looks awesome reading the technical specs (sabre DAC - 9,9 Kg weight, digital and analog audio exits)

what you suggest to me?

thanks a lot!

Not heard much about Yamaha. In any case, Yamaha does not manufacture blu ray players. It simply rebadges players made by some other company. It is important for manufacturers to release periodic firmware updates to ensure that latest discs are playable. For this, I would trust Oppo, Sony and Panasonic more than others.

What about Panasonic BDT700? Or Pioneer BDP450?

David@FrankHarvey said:
I'd second the Oppo - I've used a BDP103 for two years now, and my only regret for not going for the BDP105!

I can understand your regret, the Oppo 105eu is one of the best 'bargains' I've bought in many a year.

It's never too late to sell the 103 on, with bigbosses recommendations you should always get a good price for it. :)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
It is important for manufacturers to release periodic firmware updates to ensure that latest discs are playable. For this, I would trust Oppo, Sony and Panasonic more than others.

I can certainly commend Oppo on this point. My sons copy of Days of future passed refused to play, so I connected my Oppo 83 to the internet and restarted. It automatically found a new version of firmware and installed it, fixing the problem in minutes - it could not have been easier.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Having owned an Oppo 103d, Marantz 7007 and a Denon DBt3313 I've settled on the latter. Whilst it's just a transport the build quality is superb and it's my favourite of the three. A silent tank built bluray player.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Bear in mind that Marantz UD7007 and Denon 3313UD are exactly the same players in different clothing.

similar but not the same. The Marantz has an analogue stage and is not just a transport. It also had numerous associated problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts