New to the show.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello newbie here, never been on here before so be gentle with me.I am an amature when it comes to hi-fi equipment.At the moment i own a completly basic Arcam separate system (alpha 9 integrated amp no phono, alpha 8 cd, alpha 7 tuner), and B&W P4 floorstanders.I hope to enjoy the site too and pick up a bit of techy know how along the way
emotion-1.gif
.My name Nathan and i have owned the system for about 10 years or so.Also i hoping i can just swap my amp to a valve amp to power my B&W's, and connect an Onkyo record player to it too
emotion-1.gif
.Need some help there with the latter there, if someone doesn't mind helping me.

A

Anonymous

I forgot to mention i do listen to quite a variety of music too.

T

the record spot

Deoending on your budget, Icon Audio have their Stereo 20 for £499 but I'm not sure if that's line only, however, Hi Fi World rated it as a good low cost introduction to the valve sound. They have their Stereo 40 but that's almost twice the price.

Onkyo t/t eh? Do you have a model number?

Welcome to the forum too by the way.

A

Anonymous

Hi, i don't know how sensitive these P4' s are, if i am going to buy a valve amp to go with them.I don't want to go in blind and come away with something i don't want.I know some shop owners do home demo's and all that.Also know a little bit about valve amps but not alot.They need to be serviced and costs a chunk .People have said good and not bad things about them but not great.Also someone said they work better at high volumes, is this true ?.I don't trust some salesman because they usually say i got one of these at home, but they say that with everything you buy, instead of actually telling you which equipment you will want to hear again and again.

A

Anonymous

Yeah the Onkyo t/t isn't a recent model, in fact it is about 16 - 17 years old. The model No is CP1116A.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The P4's require a fair bit of driving (which the Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp will do well) but i wouldnt be partnering them with a valve amp; i dont think it would do them justice at all.

The set-up you've got isnt basic at all; its a decent system. There's a number of decent improvements that could be made working around the Arcam Alpha 9 amp and the B&W speakers (i.e. a decent CDP - Arcam CD192 for example, a good turntable and external phono amp - Project etc... and also different cabling).

What is it that you really want to change and why?

A

Anonymous

Well i don't really want to change the cd player, because i prefer listening to vynl records as i think the music was reproduced better than with cd's.The speaker cables where very expensive at the time, so don't want to change them just yet.Maybe a valve type pre and power amp is on order to drive the B&W's then, if you reckon an integrated valve amp isn't enough.Somebody told me a review about an owner, using a 7w valve amp driving 97db (approx number) sensitive Cerwin Vega speakers, which resulted in the police knocking on the door, though that was alleged.I don't mind listening to tracks on cd's, such as MJ's Thriller and The Blues Brothers tracks amongst others.I want more of a live surrounding to the songs, that is the reason.

A

Anonymous

The system i use now was bought second hand and was demoed at the owners house.I just want to try a valve amp to experience the difference
emotion-1.gif
.Actually that was a lie i did experience two home demo's at a freinds house, a while ago.IIRC he used some Tannoy floorstanders (forgot model), a Linn t/t, Arcam monoblocks, an Arcam power amp too i think and an integrated Arcam amp ( before the alpha's were out).The other demo he just changed the speakers (better than p4's by a big margin) and used the above equipment.

A

Anonymous

Hello again, i was scouting around today and came across these two ( Grant G100PV pre amp & Grant G100AS power amp with phono stage) valve amps.Anyone here got knowledge of them.The power amp is quite expensive although maybe it's worth it i don't know.Also i found a Linn Sondek LP12 T/T that i thought is cheap ( £500 ).That T/T is 25 years old and it's showing little wear also no detrimental damage and is complete.The colour is black ash.I know Linn are a respected company but know nothing about this T/T.

Nathan.

P.S If it helps to know what valves etc are in both amps, reply and i will let you know.

A

Anonymous

Also has anyone heard a Consonance Referance 8.8 integrated amp before or is using one ?.

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention about the size of the room the system is in.It's a bedroom to start with and is approx 6m long x 3.5m wide, so do you peeps reckon that is ok or do i need a dedicated room ?.Oh the sensitivity of my B&W P4s is 88db.

Nathan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts