New to Hi Fi.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Hows it going? My name is Simon and I am new to the Hi Fi world. I was wondering if any of you out there would be able to help me get started... I did look through some of the posts in the forum but couldn't find any that were similar to my situation.

I am looking at investing in a new Hi Fi system, because the computer speakers I currently use just don't do justice to my music collection. Would it be worth while investing in a surround sound system or sticking with a Hi Fi system? Most of my music is in mp3 format and I use my computer and ipod to play it. So can anyone recommend a way of connecting my laptop to the amp without losing more from the mp3 format? I am looking for quality over volume but I don't have a large budget (£800ish). I realise this may be difficult because quality usually comes with a price tag.

I took a look at the 'what hifi' best buy systems for both the surround and hifi in both the budget and mid range, whilst the full midrange system in both cases was out of my range I thought that it might be worth investing in the speakers from either. Does anyone think this is a good idea or would it be a better investment in purchasing the higher standard amp?

I know its quite a few questions all in one go but I would be very grateful to anyone who can give me some advice.

Thanks,

Simon.

A

Anonymous

Sorry simon, i cant really advise you with pc related gear, hopefully someone with a bit of know how will help you as you have taken the time to write a detailed post, Where are you guy's? help the man.

A

Anonymous

Something like the following would be good:

NAD C355BEE

B&W 685

M Audio 2496 PCI card

That would be rougly £750.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Get a CD player and join us dinosaurs who still enjoy the better quality.

Dangerous words
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I like Hughes123 suggestions though, although I'd make the following changes:-

1. As well as the NAD consider the Rotel RA-04 amplifier.

2. If your current sound card has an optical output, keep it and plug it into a Beresford DAC.

3. Or if your computer also has a wireless card, buy an Apple Airport Express and plug the Beresford into that.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

The only problem then is that you can't use the B&W 685s, because you need lots of power with those speakers...but certainly try other speakers with it!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Octopo:

The only problem then is that you can't use the B&W 685s, because you need lots of power with those speakers...but certainly try other speakers with it!

I used to run 685's off the RA-04, not a major problem to be honest...

A

Anonymous

Wow, cheers guys.

First I have to say that I am really impressed with this website. I can't believe that this forum is free, and for that matter the reviews on the website. Thanks 'What HiFi' for providing such an amazing site.

Thanks for the response guys, its much appreciated. I think that I need to clarify a couple of things. A type error on my part the computer is in fact a laptop with the Soundmax integrated digital HD soundcard. I have been searching high and low for a review or just some information on this card but try as I might it seems not to exist. Has anyone got info on it? I know that it doesn't have a optical output, only the standard headphone jack. With it being a laptop that also rules out a soundcard upgrade, right?

From the responses I take it that it would not be a good idea to look into buying a surround sound system!?

As for what has been suggested, I love the look of the Marantz PM7001, and the rotel. Is there much difference between the RA-04 and the RA-05... is it literally just a remote control?

As for the speakers, the 685's look pretty cool and seem to have nothing but good reviews, would floor standing speakers be worth looking at?

I guess the only other problem is getting the music from the laptop to the amp... I understand that I would use a 'DAC'. Do all these converters maintain the quality of the mp3? I mean just now I just use a standard AV lead and to be honest the quality is quite shocking! Does the same thing happen with a DAC? I took a look in the reviews ad noticed the squeezebox duet... would that be a suitable DAC?

Cheers for the help so far guys.

Simon.

A

Anonymous

old_skool42:
Thanks for the response guys, its much appreciated. I think that I need to clarify a couple of things. A type error on my part the computer is in fact a laptop with the Soundmax integrated digital HD soundcard. I have been searching high and low for a review or just some information on this card but try as I might it seems not to exist. Has anyone got info on it? I know that it doesn't have a optical output, only the standard headphone jack. With it being a laptop that also rules out a soundcard upgrade, right?

If you don't plan to get a DAC you can run an RCA lead straight from your soundcards 3.5mm jack into the amp. I mentioned the wireless/DAC idea because this would basically rule out your soundcard as the Apple AE has an optical out you can plug the DAC into. An alternative would be an external soundcard?

old_skool42:

From the responses I take it that it would not be a good idea to look into buying a surround sound system!?

If you're purely listening to music, stick 2 channel!

old_skool42:

As for what has been suggested, I love the look of the Marantz PM7001, and the rotel. Is there much difference between the RA-04 and the RA-05... is it literally just a remote control?

Not a fan of Marantz sound myself, but yeh the build quality is outstanding for the price. Your best bet would be to try and get to listen to a few amps in this price range at your local hifi shop, they all sound different so only you can decide! Out of the RA-04/ 05 provided you don't need a remote control I'd go for the RA-04 [WHF claims it sounds better for £100 less!].

old_skool42:

As for the speakers, the 685's look pretty cool and seem to have nothing but good reviews, would floor standing speakers be worth looking at?

Again depends on your preferences/ room size. If you like alot of bass you could look at some floorstanders, although the 685's are heardly weedy! I swear by standmounters but many people like the deeper sound floorstanders can give.

old_skool42:

I guess the only other problem is getting the music from the laptop to the amp... I understand that I would use a 'DAC'. Do all these converters maintain the quality of the mp3? I mean just now I just use a standard AV lead and to be honest the quality is quite shocking! Does the same thing happen with a DAC? I took a look in the reviews ad noticed the squeezebox duet... would that be a suitable DAC?

No. You could just buy a high quality 3.5mm RCA lead which will sound fine if you aren't too far from the amp. DAC's take a digital input and upsample and convert the signal into a line level output, giving a cleaner higher quality sound.. More expensive DAC's can also reclock the signal meaning your laptop could sound like a high end cd player.

The squeezebox isn't a DAC, it is much like the Apple Airport Express, allowing you to wirelessly play music in different rooms.

Hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Hmm... There is clearly a lot to think about. Thanks Octopo for the very quick reply, it is informative and very much appreciated!

I'm not entirely sure what the next step is really... I think that going to a local hi fi shop would be the first step to have a look and listen to some things in person.

Are there any DAC's that you would recommend? or are they all quite pricey? I guess the next question would be how would I connect a DAC to my laptop?

Simon.

A

Anonymous

If you don't want to connect via wi-fi maybe think about getting a usb dac such as the Fubar II from Russ Andrews for about £100:

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA2094086808820CUYSBYRFGBUEKKJS/product-Fubar-II-USB-DAC-4588.htm

If you are prepared to get a squeezebox or Apple AE maybe look at the Beresford DAC also about £100:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/TC-7510/orderuk.html

John Duncan

Right. Look carefully to see if the soundcard does have an optical out - they are very often built into the headphone socket.

However, I would strongly recommend not tying your laptop to your hifi either by optical out to a DAC or simply via analogue interconnect from headphone socket to amp - it just means you're tethered and I suspect you would regret it. Furthermore, I've found that the interference produced by a laptop power supply is *huge* - obviously this will be laptop-dependent, but it's really nasty - they're not designed as a hifi source really and manufacturers therefore pay less (read: no) attention to shielding the audio output from mains gremlins.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I think an Airport Express or other wireless client such as a Squeezebox (I'm presuming your laptop has wireless built in here) is kind of obligatory here - then you can decide whether you want to add a DAC or take the output straight into the audio inputs of an amp. I personally don't have a DAC from my AE but (once I realised I was being stupid and had the treble turned down) it performs very well against my 800 quid CD player. The only issue with it versus, say, a Squeezebox is that the AE has no remote (unless you have an iPhone or iPod Touch) and you have to control it from the laptop itself.

Once that's done, all the amps and speakers mentioned above will be good options (I particularly like the Marantz myself, ignore the 4-star rating), and you can upgrade later with a DAC if needs be.

Oh and one last thing - if your music files are not lossless (or 320kbps), rip them again so that they are. And use Airfoil with airport express if iTunes is not your music manager of choice.

A

Anonymous

That budget is v close to AVI ADM9!

Could be an excellent solution for you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts