New to Hi-fi Woohoo!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well the old JVC MX-J850R is getting on a bit and because my love of music has grown and my budget increased, I can now purchase a seperate hi-fi system!

I went to Technosound in Milton Keynes (great service) and the man advised me on a ROTEL RA-04, B&W 686s and a ROTEL RCD-06 cd player. With mounts and wiring this came to a total of 1k, which is my maximum budget. Is this a good set-up? Could anybody advise me with any other alternatives (speakers most likely).

I listen to mostly rock like led and floyd etc but have my classical moments and often listen to speech....which reminds me, what sort of DAB/FM tuner is best for cheap money?

Regards.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
That's probably a nice balanced system. I would be tempted to look at EPOS and AVI Neutron speakers too if you like rock. My experience of B&W is that they are spot on for bass but perhaps not as warm as some others. I know for a fact that the AVI Neutron will make your spine tingle with Floyd.

A

Anonymous

Hi mate i may just be your man as i went to Technosound in MK myself (Northampton boy me) yeah the guys seem ok in there and don't really pressure you into anything. I went to look at Rotel stuff because the 06 series (the one's you are talking about above) had won awards, well the amp had anyway and the cd player i think got 4 stars!
Anyway i went for the RCD-06 and the RA-05 because i'm lazy and wanted a remote control for the amp but looking back now i should of went for the RA-04 as it performs better and even better it is cheaper? there are better CD players out there than in my setup but I dont care because it matches the amp & trust me it sounds really nice, after all whathifi dont give out 4 stars for a cd player without putting it through its paces first! I plumped for B & W CM1 speakers & love them but they are pricey @ £470.

If I was you I would go for RCD-06, RA-04, I defo would not go for the 686's to dear for this system (dont make the mistake i made by wasting money even though they sound superb) instead go for a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 & trust me you wont regret that? (Again cheaper to)
Stands would be 100% soundstyle Z2 again its what I went for & there great, Wire look no further than QED'S Silver Anniversary XT but make sure you get them bi wired (a little more but well worth it trust me) ... oh and dont forget banana plugs on the end of your cable of course. The interconnect I went for was made by a company called Brilliance & its called synergy (this won the 2006 best interconnect) & I just love it .. sounds wicked on all styles of music, but maybe you should also consider this years winner the Atlas Equator (make sure its the latest version though).
Again do what you want but I would & did get just the cd & amp off them (paid cash & got some money off) dont get the interconnect or speaker wire off them as they are to dear plus they dont stock the interconnects i mentioned? get your stands from superfi on the net £60.. your speakers I have seen for £179 on the net, shop around again on the net for your cable & interconnect. I reckon you should be able to get this lot for £950 or less? ... You didnt say about a rack to house them? up to you on that one of course. And lastly Rotel do the RT-06 DAB/FM again matching & in the 06 series to complete your system but you will have to find a few more pennies of course for that to but what I have heard about it is very positive, i am defo going to get one put it like that.
Well I hope I have helped you make a decision by now?? I ran my speakers in for about 50 hours and now they are really starting to shine, I give you my promise if you go for the above you will not regret it & you will hear things in your music you have never heard before. If you want anymore help just ask kind regards.

A

Anonymous

It's your money so use your ears. The Rotel/B&W option is one where I started about 8 years ago. It certainly works and easy to move up from should the upgrade bug bite. As an alternative may I suggest a Rega Apollo/Brio into just about any £200 bookshelf speakers you fancy.

You will need to find some cash for speaker stands and cabling too which will take you slightly over budget but it'll be worth it in my view.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]
Well the old JVC MX-J850R is getting on a bit and because my love of music has grown and my budget increased, I can now purchase a seperate hi-fi system!

I went to Technosound in Milton Keynes (great service) and the man advised me on a ROTEL RA-04, B&W 686s and a ROTEL RCD-06 cd player. With mounts and wiring this came to a total of 1k, which is my maximum budget. Is this a good set-up? Could anybody advise me with any other alternatives (speakers most likely).

I listen to mostly rock like led and floyd etc but have my classical moments and often listen to speech....which reminds me, what sort of DAB/FM tuner is best for cheap money?

Regards.

[/quote]

Welcome and congrats and getting a new system

The Rotel amp and CD player are v good choices, i looked these also but stumped for Arcam as i have always been a massive fan of them

As for speakers, B&W to me are spot on, i listen to Pink Floyd alot also and find that my B&W 602 S2 and B&W 602 S3 speakers suited it very well, as well as the other music i'm into.

If you're looking to save a little on your budget it may be worth while looking @ Ebay for speakers and stands. Get the amp and CD player new but there are plenty of very good examples of B&W speakers for sale. I also know someone off another forum who's looking to sell his B&W 602 S3 speakers (more or less brand new - not too sure if he's actually used them yet) and he only wants £150 for them, postage will be on top.

A

Anonymous

Well thankyou very much all of you for your recomendations! Although I still havn't heard them, though will be doing so shortly, I like the 686s. They seem to reflect the understated elegence of the ROTELs. Although, will they be an improvement over my JVCs speakers which are 80w each and about seven years old? Also, is it worth upgrading to the 685s? And regarding cabinets, TECHNOSOUND's are rather pricey shall we say!

Thanks all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Remixes.

I've read elsewhere that the Rotel RA-05 is the same as the Rotel RA-04 but with a remote control. If that is the case (Andrew/Clare confirm please), WHF must have docked a star from the 05 because it costs an extra £100. I have found a Creek Evo amp on line for £350 so I'm delving that way. Rotel were high up on my list but I've read a lot of good on Creek too.

A

Anonymous

Hello mate yep your right it is the same but with a remote control (on the outside & to the naked eye anyway?) but its the magic inside thats slightly diff as the 05 requires circuits for the remote where as the 04 does not therefore making the sound of the amp more sonic!! or so they say lol? Trust me either way if you do go for it you wont regret it ;0)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts