new to consumer audio: amp selection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I decided i want some home audio stuff (i own some pro-audio gear already), but i want to do it on a budget. I decided on KEF iQ5 speakers since i can get those for 300 euro (around 225 pound) a pair and that seems a good deal to me. I also decided to get a s/h amp, but it's really hard to make a choice for me since i have littel experience with amp/speaker setups. At this time it seems i can choose between:

Marantz PM66SE KI, NAD C320, Rotel RA-01 or Cyrus Two for around 150-175 euro. Of course it's very easy to get better for more money, but i am trying to keep things within this budget. Any recommendations maybe?

A

Anonymous

Of those you mentioned I'd say the Cyrus would be the better amp. See if you could pay a little more and get a Cyrus 3- which was a massive leap forward.

A

Anonymous

I don't have any experience with Cyrus amplifiers but do have first hand experience with the PM66KI, I've owned one for a little while and a friend of mine has one. It's an excellent amplifier, very sweet sound.

A

Anonymous

Substitute Cambridge Audio for NAD,

lots of people have issues with NAD reliability.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]raypalmer - tho they would appear not to be reporting those issues on here that often. Defensive? Me?[/quote]

The only problems I have heard of are the C370s blowing up.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I don't have any experience with Cyrus amplifiers but do have first hand experience with the PM66KI, I've owned one for a little while and a friend of mine has one. It's an excellent amplifier, very sweet sound.[/quote]

And easy to repair/get parts for?

Cambridge is harder to get for me so kinda stuck between the RA-01 and the PM66SE KI at the moment :) I can also get a Creek 4040 for the same price, but seems hard to find any reviews on that one.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I would advise the Rotel if looking for a clear sound. I believe it delivers music as it should be heard - so full of flaws. It's an honest but beautiful amp.

Personally I don't like Marantz amps. I find them too warm and find they don't offer a true representation of the music - giving it a sort of "clipped" sound.

Stevie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts