New Teac kit: MP-H01 & UD-H01 - out in September

T

the record spot

Very interested in the new Teac gear coming out. Looks the part, but the MP-H01 looks like the ticket for the R_S household. Streams all the file formats I want, offers Airplay and DLNA compatibility in the one box, is wireless and it's job done for me I think. The DAC's worth looking at, but I tihnk I'd be leaning more towards Emotiva's XDA-1 from Item Audio for better connectivity. That said, two good looking bits of kit as part of a wider range - sleek looking too.

T

the record spot

Missed the all-important link: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/systems/teac-mp-h01-wireless-audio-adapter-with-airplay.html

thumb.jpg

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm very interested in the TEAC UD-H01.

Two 32 Bit 192kHz Burr Brown converters, the DAC upsamples data to 192kHz.

And it looks great :)

T

the record spot

altruistic.lemon said:
Hmm - think this is called Teac missing the boat.

You're better off with Apple TV which is cheaper and has an hdmi out so does videos, too.

No requirement for Apple TVs substandard product thanks. If anyone missed the boat, it was Apple with their hopelessly out-of-date-before-it-was-launched product. I stream video material through my TV - Sony KDL-32EX503 which is internet capable and has Lovefilm, Qriocity, You Tube, iPlayer, etc - but the Sony network media streamer offers more, delivers more and leaves the Apple unit standing.

I listen mainly to music at home, so wanted something that would allow me to stream from my iPod Touch, internet radio and DLNA compatibility. The Teac handles FLAC, the TV2 doesn't. The TV2 only 720i and misses the harbour, never mind the boat, when it comes to 1080i HD.

You've probably gathered by now I'm not a fan of the TV2...!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hmm - think this is called Teac missing the boat.

You're better off with Apple TV which is cheaper and has an hdmi out so does videos, too.

Missing the boat ? DAC's are very popular these days. Apple TV does not support flac........that's missing the boat.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
No requirement for Apple TVs substandard product thanks. If anyone missed the boat, it was Apple with their hopelessly out-of-date-before-it-was-launched product. I stream video material through my TV - Sony KDL-32EX503 which is internet capable and has Lovefilm, Qriocity, You Tube, iPlayer, etc - but the Sony network media streamer offers more, delivers more and leaves the Apple unit standing.

Indeed. Let's have a link...

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/usb-media-players/smp-n100

...and only £99 in most places (including Amazon UK)

T

the record spot

Some price corrections on the film rental service off Qriocity Claire - they start from £2.49 for SD and £3.49 for HD. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Interesting kit, and judging by the amount of phone calls we've been getting, you all think so too. I'm interested in hearing the integrated amplifier - nice looking little unit using ICE digital amplification. If it's anything like the amplification in the Pioneer LX83 receiver, it could be a surpass little performer.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:

I listen mainly to music at home, so wanted something that would allow me to stream from my iPod Touch, internet radio and DLNA compatibility. The Teac handles FLAC, the TV2 doesn't. The TV2 only 720i and misses the harbour, never mind the boat, when it comes to 1080i HD.

You've probably gathered by now I'm not a fan of the TV2...!
Nah, Apple TV does the lot in one tiny box, no need for another one to do the video streaming for you.

You have a separate internet radio? Mine's my iphone, and that can stream to ATV as well. You should foget your prejudices and check it out. Literally miles ahead of the pack - can't think of anything that comes close, especially at the price.

To the FLAC person, ATV does ALAC, which is the same. Simple conversion programme required, that's all.

Be interested to see if Teac sell any of their boxes, they're out of date before they hit the market.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There would be many out there that would say that Apple products are also out of date as far as their spec and features are concerned. Some products will suit some, but not others.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't say I'm overly familiar with what the Apple TV does as I have no need for one. Many will say that the IPad is on outdated product, not being able to use Flash, and having quite a slow processor for the money. There's numerous areas people have bought up on forums, even this one if you find the right one.

I'm not having a go here (I use and iPhone and iPad myself), just saying that there are some people who really aren't interested in Apple products, and others who will purposely avoid Apple products. These Teac products aren't outdated, they've been produced for a certain market, and will sell, just like the iPads do, and just like Apple TV does. My first thoughts when seeing these Teac products weren't, 'wow, they're so outdated', it was, 'wow, they look nice, very well made'. As record spot states, they do what he wants them to, and that's enough for most people. These look so nice and are so well built, I'd love a little system somewhere in the house made up of these products. I'd also buy a matching CD player if they made one too.
:)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no, wasn't meaning that, was talking about functionality. I bought my Appletv for the things the Teac box does, but ended up using all its other features, particularly the HDMI output which is a blessing.

Seems to me the Teac box has strictly limited functionality and cannot approach what the Apple box does, so why buy one?

T

the record spot

altruistic.lemon said:
Nah, Apple TV does the lot in one tiny box, no need for another one to do the video streaming for you.

And no need, likewise for me to buy a substandard Apple effort when my Sony TV and my Sony blu-ray player had covered all that ground comprehensively better. Why take a step back?

altruistic.lemon said:
You have a separate internet radio?

No.

altruistic.lemon said:
Mine's my iphone, and that can stream to ATV as well.

Mine's iTunes, Radio365 and my iPod Touch. Also BBC Radio Listen Live (but that can be through the TV)

altruistic.lemon said:
You should foget your prejudices and check it out.

Which prejudices? My Apple bias? With a nano and a touch and exclusive iTunes use for music management? Which prejudice did you have in mind?

altruistic.lemon said:
Literally miles ahead of the pack - can't think of anything that comes close, especially at the price.

I'm glad you enjoy your product. But a glance round the place will show you plenty that comes close, equals it and betters it.

altruistic.lemon said:
To the FLAC person, ATV does ALAC, which is the same. Simple conversion programme required, that's all.

Be interested to see if Teac sell any of their boxes, they're out of date before they hit the market.

Not much use if you've used FLAC for all your listening life. Why go backwards again? But well done for speaking like a true Apple fanboy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Seems to me the Teac box has strictly limited functionality and cannot approach what the Apple box does, so why buy one?

Because it does what the OP wants it to do?...

the record spot said:
...the MP-H01 looks like the ticket for the R_S household. Streams all the file formats I want, offers Airplay and DLNA compatibility in the one box, is wireless and it's job done...

T

the record spot

altruistic.lemon said:
Yeah, no, wasn't meaning that, was talking about functionality. I bought my Appletv for the things the Teac box does, but ended up using all its other features, particularly the HDMI output which is a blessing.

Chuckle, "strictly" limited functionality? Audio-wise, it leaves, like many other products offering similar, the ATV2 standing. Apple flopped with this one, but the fanboys lap it up. Enjoy...the 3 should be out by Spring.

EDIT: Coincidentally, when I saw the ATV2 spec sheet, your last words rang loud and clear in my head: why buy one? My Sony stuff already does more - cloud, home network, optical disc. If it had Airplay, I might not've bothered looking out the Teac.

T

the record spot

altruistic.lemon said:
...so why buy one?

Which were my very thoughts when I saw the Apple spec sheet and I'm sitting with the Sony TV and S370. "Eh?" followed rapidly.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What's up with you guys?? Better specs, more flexible than the Teac box yet you guys go into denial! That's not the attitude that made the English cricket team the best in the world, much as it hurts me to say it. :)

And yet, no-one has managed to come up with a better specced device.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
What's up with you guys?? Better specs, more flexible than the Teac box yet you guys go into denial! That's not the attitude that made the English cricket team the best in the world, much as it hurts me to say it. :)

And yet, no-one has managed to come up with a better specced device.

Like you, I am using an iPhone (and an iMac) wirelessly with AirPlay - for internet radio and BBC iPlayer radio and iTunes. I am also using the Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n base station for our home network.

Like RS, I am also using the Sony BDP-S370 and make extensive use of it for watching internet content. (Mostly BBC iPlayer).

I cannot conceive where I would find any use for the Apple TV no matter how cheap it is. I don't want to download films and TV from Apple and I don't think the Apple TV supports BBC iPlayer.

That is important to me. It probably isn't so important to you.

[Edit. Yep definitely no iPlayer support on ATV2 according to Apple UK. So that's a 'no-no'.]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts