New System

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the forum and would like some help with a new system.
I really fancy the Monitor Audio Silver RX1 Speakers as a starting point.
I listen to all types of music including classical, like playing it loud and my listening room is approx 24 Square Metres.
If I go for an all in one system I was thinking of the Arcam Solo Neo or Rotel RCX1500
If I go for separates I am thinking of a Rotel Amp not sure which model but could go to the RA1520 if pushed and the Marantz CD6003 CD player.
What would give me the best sound also with regard to the all in one or separate amp it must be powerfull enough to drive Monitor Audio RX6 speakers also as I intend to upgrade to these when I move in the future.

matthewpiano

For classical music I would strongly recommend auditioning Creek and NAD amps. Both will provide plenty of current for the big dynamic shifts whilst maintaining a warm, involving and detailed sound. Rotel make excellent kit but I don't find it particularly good for classical repertoire.

The MA RX1s are excellent but I would also recommend auditioning the Mordaunt-Short Aviano 2s which I actually prefer for their more lucid midrange and better control of bass frequencies. It would also be worth trying the Epos Epic range and the new Quad 11L Classic.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am definately sticking to the RX1s and as I said before will upgrade later to RX6s.
Any other advice will be wellcome

A

Anonymous

If you're after an all in one system I can highly recommend the Marantz CR603 at the lower end and defintely the Arcam Solo Neo for the top end

I've heard both with the M/A RX1, RX2 & RX6 speakers as well as the likes of Neat Motive 2's, PMC GB1i's and my current M/A BX5's and they're superb systems...

The Marantz is VERY good indeed; brilliant with all different genres of music (I listen to anything from Dean Marting & Nat King Cole to the Three Tenors to Hed Kandi to Metallica/SOAD etc...) and the Marantz copes very well indeed. It's a real gutsy performer and the fact that you get all the tools in one box makes life hell of a lot easier
smiley-cool.gif

If you're set on seperates then the Rotel RA1520 amp is superb but so is the NAD C356BEE, Yamaha AS2000, Creek Evo II, Roksan Kandy K2 or the Leema Pulse. Any of these (IMO) partnered with the likes of a Rega Apollo, NAD C545BEE, a decent 2nd hand Arcam CD192 or the Audiolab 8200CDP and you'll have a great system indeed.

One bit of advice; if you do go for the M/A RX1 speakers; get some decent stands for them (i..e Partington Super Dreadnoughts or Atacama HMS1's at a minimum). They're pretty powerful speakers and need a good base under them. Decent stands (preferablly mass-loaded with atabites), some blu-tac and you're laughing
smiley-wink.gif

T

the record spot

Lo Fi said:
I am new to the forum and would like some help with a new system. I really fancy the Monitor Audio Silver RX1 Speakers as a starting point. I listen to all types of music including classical, like playing it loud and my listening room is approx 24 Square Metres. If I go for an all in one system I was thinking of the Arcam Solo Neo or Rotel RCX1500 If I go for separates I am thinking of a Rotel Amp not sure which model but could go to the RA1520 if pushed and the Marantz CD6003 CD player. What would give me the best sound also with regard to the all in one or separate amp it must be powerfull enough to drive Monitor Audio RX6 speakers also as I intend to upgrade to these when I move in the future.

Depends on your budget really, though for seaprates, I'd recommend getting an amp with a decent power rating and good current delivery - XTZ's DA100 at £625 or Harman's HK990 will give you both, £625 frmo Audio Sanctum (with home demo option) and £795 from Edinburgh's Home Cinema Centre respectively. The specs for both are similar, including an onboard DAC. The XTZ is 105wpc and the HK 150 at 8ohms.

Other options exist obviously, but if you play loud, you want something that'll drive the speaker without clipping. A 40-watter will do if you're not thrashing the thing, but you need to control the speaker well if it's going to be pushed and for that you need power on tap to handle dynamic peaks in the music.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This comment is aimed at hifilover, thanks for your input, since my initial post I have been informed by my wife that she would not be happy with separates and that I should find a good all in one system.
That being the case perhaps the Marantz or Arcam Solo Neo would be a good idea. My only reservation is that I do like to play loud and wondered if 50 watts per channel is enough, that is why I mentioned the Rotel RCX which is 100 watts per channel although I cant get any reviews on it or opinions as to how good it is.
I know the Arcam is more expensive but is it actually any better sound wise or at driving speaker loads.
Do you know or does anybody else know anything about the Rotel?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Lo Fi said:
since my initial post I have been informed by my wife that she would not be happy with separates
Her being happy for me to keep my HiFi separates was one of the basic ground-rules I lay down long before I even married my wife lol.

A

Anonymous

Lo Fi said:
This comment is aimed at hifilover, thanks for your input, since my initial post I have been informed by my wife that she would not be happy with separates and that I should find a good all in one system. That being the case perhaps the Marantz or Arcam Solo Neo would be a good idea. My only reservation is that I do like to play loud and wondered if 50 watts per channel is enough, that is why I mentioned the Rotel RCX which is 100 watts per channel although I cant get any reviews on it or opinions as to how good it is. I know the Arcam is more expensive but is it actually any better sound wise or at driving speaker loads. Do you know or does anybody else know anything about the Rotel?

I have the Marantz on daily as it keeps me sane whilst working from home

It also gets turned up LOUD and I mean LOUD :| when I can; it can drive the M/A BX5's superbly as it did with the M/A RX6's and PMC GB1i's when I 1st demo'd it.

The Marantz has plenty of guts to drive decent speakers very loud indeed

The Arcam Solo Neo can also do this but I found that the Marantz had an overall better sound to it (in my opinion and for my taste in music); much better control over loud electronic music but also superbly well timed and controlled with the likes of Jazz etc...

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hifilover thank you again you have been most helpfull.
I have decided to rule out the Arcam, I also require an optical input which I note the Marantz has but Arcam does not.
This now leaves me to decide between the Rotel if I can get a demo and the Marantz, I know there is also the Naim Uniti but it is very expensive and still only 50 watts per channel.
From what you say though the Marantz does seem very good and I will probably end up with it as it is less than half the price of the Rotel.
Just one thing and that is classical can get very loud on climaxes and also I like to play rock with pumping bass loud but I presume you also do that with some of your music on the Marantz.
This is one reason I like the Monitor Audios because it goes low in the bass and is clean.
Also noticed that if and when I switch to RX6s the sensitivity is higher than the RX1s so if the Marantz works well with the RX1s it will be just as good with the RX6s

A

Anonymous

Most people don't have a clue about how much power they actually use on a day to day basis, you need to hook up an oscilloscope and estimate the impedance to see.

In generally you'll use less than 1watt. Another reason why you rarely find quoted distortion levels at 1W (crossover distortion has a bigger effect at low levels).

For any speaker you add 3dB of level for each doubling of power, so for an 89db/w one that maps to

1W = 89dB

2W = 92dB

4W = 95dB

8W = 98dB

16W = 101dB

32W = 104dB

64W = 107dB

so with the 50wpc Naim you'll be getting about 106dB before clipping, so the only question is how fast you want to go deaf..

A

Anonymous

I agree that the Naim unit against the Marantz unit give off very much a different soundstage

Unfortunately for me, Naim just isnt the right sound and this showed up when I demo'd the Naim against the Marantz against the Arcam Solo Neo etc...

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
Cannot quitev afford the Naim, but maybe I should hear the Arcam, Marantz and Rotel if possible.
Has anyone any further ideas.

A

Anonymous

Lo Fi said:
Thanks for replies. Cannot quitev afford the Naim, but maybe I should hear the Arcam, Marantz and Rotel if possible. Has anyone any further ideas.

Personally I'd stick to that for now or it'll just get too much and a bit confusing

A

Anonymous

Just one more left field suggestion Geneva Sound System Model M + CD http://uk.genevalab.ch/shop/default/genevasound-m-cd Worth a look and possibly wife friendly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts