admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

i've sold me whole last system since i wantd to make a major upgrade.

my tought is:

B&W 804s as front

B&W HTM3s as center (still not sure about this or the HTM4s)

B&W 805s as back (still not sure about this or the 705)

Musical fidelity Integrated Amp A5 as front amp

Onkyo Tx-NR905 as pre for the front in case of home theater and as amp for the rest.

i want to know if this configuration is ok or need improvment.

what cables are suggested.

any suggestion will be appreciated.

THANKS

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Great system, I can't see any weakness for the price and should sound great with both movies and music. Cables? at this class I would go for LAT International SS-1000D speakers cables and acoustic Zen interconnect. I am using Cardas but it's might be a bit too soft for movie sound track. Krystal Kables company also does a package deal when you buy interconnect, power cables and speakers cables together, great stuffs too.

A

Anonymous

someone told me the TX-NR905 is a BAD pre unit - meaning the 804s will sound 80% of what they needed to be sound.

also he told me the 905 will not push good enough the HTM3s and the 805s

do you have an idea

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="morphman"]someone told me the TX-NR905 is a BAD pre unit [/quote]

I presume you are using the MF's by pass input (mark as HT direct). The 905 should just drive centre and rear (+ sub), leaving MF to do left and right job. If you are doing this I couldn't see what is a problem. Power rating is 220W so it should (it will) make the HTM3s and the 805s work properly. Let me guess, it's the saleman that told you about being bad pre unit!

A

Anonymous

a friend which worked in the field long time ago.

he told me to look for other companies which makes good pre + power.

i found this set of arcam AV9 + P7 - price is no subject i'm ready to pay for good quality.

BUT and this is a big but - i found that first of all the Onkyo as the Reon chip which is the only one in the market that makes upscale to 1080p - from some reason all the other manufatures using the faruodja chip which can't make it.

also my Plus on the onkyo is good input output range like for example 4 HDMI input which can make it for XBOX360 + DVD + Bluray player and even keep me one spare.

the main thing which the Arcam doesn't have is all the new standard in the market like Dolby HD and DTS HD.

about the 220w - from what i know the onkyo output only 140w RMS in 8ohm.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

cheers

A

Anonymous

does anyone have opinion - i heard that the 804s are hard to drive - very unaudioble in low volumes and etc.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
It seem like you know your stuff anyway! or may be you just need a confirm that what you are thinking is correct. From my experience with A5 they would drive just about every thing (even a bus or a tractor!) as for the Onkyo that you said ONLY 140w (sorry that I said 220 watts, I always look at the figure that run in 4 ohms as most of speakers I owned are 4 not 8) will drive the 805s no problem. If money is not an object like you said then try Krell showcase/Theater combo as I can't see many things could better that.

TRENDING THREADS