New system - Maybe??? Decisions decisions.........

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am thinking about overhauling my current system which is a Linn Classik hooked up to some B&W 705 standmount speakers with a Ruark Vita 100 Sub also attached.

I have a budget of around 2000 to 2500 pound approx.

From your experience would that money get me a better all round sound that my current setup.

I would be looking to keep speakers and sub as they are expensive and decent kit.

Or would a power amp on my Linn be more beneficial.

Im really pondering on this. Was thinking about a sugden setup but the 25watts per channel is kind of putting me off. Also looked at Naim cd5i and Sonetteer. Maybe even a Musical Fidelity. Oh the options lol.

Is it worth the outlay???

Musial taste is rock and metal. So would need something with lots of soundstage and great treble n bass.

The Linn is great but I am wondering how much better an expensive seperate system would sound. I used to own Rotel but sold the Kit to acquire the Linn which i find better all round.

John Duncan

For rock and metal I can recommend a Rega pairing (though I suspect it was the amp playing the major part in that) - I found the Classik a bit polite in that context. But you may find a power amp does the business - your local Linn dealer would lend you one for a couple of days, I'm sure, and you can see for yourself - they'll almost certainly have a Rega pair for you to listen to as well. Plenty of options though, with that amount of money to spend.........

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I just seen some offers for the Arcam FMJ A32 for less than 750 quid. Would this be a great choice for rock music. I know Arcam is pretty laid back but my spekers are forward sounding.

Any advice please !??

John Duncan

Then you should love Rega, NAD and Naim. I'm surprised you have a Classik with that list
emotion-1.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]

Metallica, AC/DC, Nightwish, Inflames, Megadeth, Slayer

[/quote]

Oh yeah baby.....

Don't waste your time on Musical fidelity if you into Thrash metal. This is something that you have to trust the "metal system guru" like myself
emotion-11.gif
. The 3 most rocking amps are...

Krell 300i = build like a tank, balanced input, slam like Lars's Pearl set and bass to die for. Price around £850 (rrp £2,500)

Exposure 2010 = I wouldn't bother with the later "i" upgrade, the original one do rock a lot better. not one of the best build around so check it over before buy but you should have more choices out there than choosing for a ford Mondeo! The 2010 power amp can be add later for more slam. Price...£250 (rrp £600)

Talk Electronics Cyclone 1.2 = Rhythm king with fat, low bass. It play metal tune how it should be, sound raw and real. Admittedly the details is not the best but you wouldn't miss it. harder to find than the above but worth hunting down. price around £300 (rrp £700)

ps Naim and B&W can sound too bright so if you want to go down that rute....demo, demo, demo.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
What about disc spinners too???

Naim is a real prospect, Creek has a good name for good cd players for rock. I also seen some Accuphase going at good prices too.

Other hifi forums say Musical Fidelity is good at Rock.

Many people mention Naim, Exposure and Densen.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]Accuphase going at good prices too[/quote]

that is an all rounder rather than rocking disc spinner, Accuphase made every cd sound lovely!

[quote user="rich51080"]Other hifi forums say Musical Fidelity is good at Rock[/quote]

I had many MF cd player and yes, some MF are supreme with rock music....the A308cr for example as it has the slam that we craved for but all in all MF owners are classical music listener.

[quote user="rich51080"]Many people mention Naim, Exposure and Densen[/quote]

Densen is certainly worth searching for! 400XS being top of the list and 400+ model not far behide but most owners hold on to them for long long time, just ask Clare
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]
Musial taste is rock and metal. So would need something with lots of soundstage and great treble n bass.

[/quote]

Am I the only sane person here?

Whilst I respect your speakers they are just about the most unsuitable choice for your genre of music, with or without a sub ok.

The amps you and some of our forum comedians mention are as different as night and day.

Your are a very confused man. I could add to this and ramble on about more manufacturers/products but you really need to get your buns to a dealer and actually listen to some stuff. I think you almost certainly come out with a completely new set-up.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
The Primare combo is interesting me as on another forum it was mentioned. No where to demo them near me though - blagh

With my Classik would a LK140 power amp make a considerable difference.??? They sell second hand for 400 quid.

I just would to unleash the potential of my B&W 705 speakers.
Drummerman - People have said the B&W 705 are good for rock and metal but lack in the bass dept. I find them great but underpowered if anything as it starts to clip when classik is on 60 on volume setting. (sounds al clumped together and treble is really fatiguing).

Going from a Classik to say a Primare/Krell/Naim would I notice a big difference in sound quality. Or as i mentioned earlier adding a power amp would make a huge difference.

Any opinions on this??

Im gonna demo a Naim cd5x and Naim nati 5i this weekend - Be interesting i think. Also gonna try creek.
Thaiman I looked on ebay for this Krell you mentioned, Any other place to try looking???? Also where can you buy densen from as I see no dealers in Uk. The Dense does interest me alot and they are popluar for all types of music.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Rich....if you go back to another forum and ask them "who's the man for heavy metal system?" I fairly sure that my name will pop up here and there
emotion-11.gif

The drummer is right though when he said about your speakers are not really "metal friendly" but now you got them, make the most of it.....avoid any bright electronics.

I don't know where are you but if you ever need to hear what is rock system should sound like then pop in and see me, I know it's sound a bit big headed but it took me long.....long time (not to mention many many changes) to get almost real life metal concert sound that I have now.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to avoid Arcam for thrash metal and rock. It's a more civilised sound from an Arcam in my experience. The rockiest my music collection goes is Stone Roses and although it sounds decent, it's not as good as the sound you get from acoustics and vocals.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman what are your suggestions for speakers then.??

The 705 have a good name for rock music in other forums

Yeah they are bright in the treble but i like my rock with great treble. Afterall i love My alessandro ms2i headphones which are co made by grado.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]
Thaiman what are your suggestions for speakers then.??

The 705 have a good name for rock music in other forums

Yeah they are bright in the treble but i like my rock with great treble. Afterall i love My alessandro ms2i headphones which are co made by grado.

[/quote]

You just got the speakers and have no need to change them, they just need to be well partner. I like most music but heavy metal is my main love, I had "south of heaven" on earlier and couldn't stop smiling. good luck with your hunt mate and remember "no need to rush, take your time....."

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman check out these two bands 1. Kingdom of Sorrow and 2. Black Tide

Also what amps are not bright sounding. Cant wait to Demo the Naim kit.

Was gonna blind buy a densen but saw sense and rather wait until i hear this setup.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I think I am gonna plumb for an Exposure setup.

3010 Amp combined with The 2010s player. Better than Naim cd5i supposedly by a few reviews.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]
I think I am gonna plumb for an Exposure setup.

3010 Amp combined with The 2010s player. Better than Naim cd5i supposedly by a few reviews.

[/quote]

2010 does rock better
emotion-2.gif
but 3010 has better grip, the 2010 cdp is spot on (product of the year award by whf&V)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts