New system Help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

My wife and i are fed up with playing pass the headphones with a pair of Grado GS1000 a Musical fidelity v3 Headphone Amp and Arcam alpha with blackbox3 Dac.we listen to various music from clasical,jazz to pop, My wife tends to listen at quiter volumes so it needs to be just as detailed at the lower end.we like detail pace wide imaging and dynamics. we want a system that will compel us to revisit all our discs and wow at the new level of detai and move us to tears not just when we decided the budget..we have a largeish listening room and a budget of between £10-17k our listening habits are 90% cd 10% record.

The easy bit for us is propably the deck we heard the Roksan Radius 5.2 with an Ortofon mc cart. we are not sure which Phono stage would be a good match but i am guessing the deck end is going to blow about 2k of the budget. The question is where to invest the rest.?

We have auditioned the Cyrus cd xt se+ with DAC X a pair of mono x and Power supplies at the Bristol show and were very impressed,Not over confident about the matching Vienna speakers though, since this we have also heard a Naim cdx2 with XPS NAC 202 Pre with NAP 250 with various floor standers this system sounded we think slightly more musical which was good too.

My questions are what would be a great speaker match for the cyrus. also have we pretty much squeezed out all we are going to get out of this combo and with the available budget would you recomend a different set up.

The Naim system was reallly good with the extra power supply but would we get a better sytem sound with a different Amp match.

Buying a system with a given budget would we be bettter of with a system with external power supplies or spending that combined amount on a better cd player/dac

Please any ideas of combinations cd/amp/speaker side would be really welcome.

Many Thanks

Nigel

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
You wouldn't be the couple who live in Gloucestershire would you?
emotion-1.gif

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Niguel Grant:

My questions are what would be a great speaker match for the cyrus. also have we pretty much squeezed out all we are going to get out of this combo and with the available budget would you recomend a different set up.

The Naim system was reallly good with the extra power supply but would we get a better sytem sound with a different Amp match.

Buying a system with a given budget would we be bettter of with a system with external power supplies or spending that combined amount on a better cd player/dac

When you are spending upwards of 10K on a system I don't think you can compare one against the other and say it is better or worse. You will have to listen to various systems (one brand or mix and match) and decide for yourself. A good dealer will help out, but ultimately you have to live with it; aesthetics as well as sound.

Cyrus and Naim are good starters to look at if you want an upbeat musical sound, but have a look also at Chord and Meridian if you are considering that kind of money. Take your time since it would be a costly mistake to end up with some kit that doesn't put a smile on your face.

A

Anonymous

I think Thaiman may advise here .... he seems pretty clued up when it comes to the more expensive setups

A

Anonymous

I have an all-Cyrus system using the 2009 CD-XT-SE and DAC-X feeding a Pre-VS2 and twin 8-powers in twin mono mode, all PSX-R powered. I use a pair of ProAC Studio 140s in a living room around 15' x 12' with wooden / laminate floors. I have found the ProACs do an excellent job of boosting the bass from the Cyrus, maybe due to the downward firing bass ports interacting with the wooden floors.

Other people recommend Spendor A5 / A6 and other ProAC siblings. Best bet, if you're waving that kind of wad in a dealer's face, is to get him to set up a full demo in store, or, with that kind of wad in one fell swoop in mind, even in your home, and decide that way.

A

Anonymous

I would be looking to Moon amp(s) and Sonus Faber Speakers at your budget.

Moon i7 amp with Sonus Faber Cremona M or Elipsa perhaps, or if a dealer would be willing to offer discounts (which I am sure they would!) you could even go to the Moon P7/W7 pre/power combo. I tried several such combo's before ending up with mine and all are fantastic for the money - offering a taste of the true higher-end items - giving musicality and emotion that will make you want to keep listening and listening!

O'Brien Hi-Fi in Raynes Park (Surrey) are one such stockist - I'm not sure who in your area does them, but it would be worth traveling otherwise!

Good luck....

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
try to demo chord and atc. musical, lots of detail and great dynamics.

a qbd76 dac and high end atc pre - power maybe? the speakers depend on how bothered about looks you are.
emotion-1.gif

plenty of options at your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts