New system - Different music??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
New system - Cambridge Azur 840 CD and Azur A40 Amp with MA RS6 speakers.

All through 80's to mid 90's - Linn with Sugden A 48 and Mordant Short Pageant speakers. Since mid 90's Rotel CD and Amp with Mission speakers and since moving to portugal no system!!!. Children playing with Linn meant quick move to unbreakable CD! I have normally/mostly listened to Classical music - Mahler, Bruckner and Opera with some jazz - Miles Davis, Ella, Keith Jarrett and some '0ld' rock - Dire Straits, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Springsteen etc. With new system I am listening almost exclusively (only 2 weeks old now) to jazz small combos, Miles, Stan Getz etc. and voice - Diana Krall, Ella of course, Madeleine Peyroux and solo piano - Keith Jarrett, Beethoven piano sonatas, Chopin etc. Why is this? Does this system lend itself to small scale, intimate music or do these kind of recordings always sound better in good hi fi? As a second thought - in the 80's and 90's the hi fi shows (Harrogate, Last Drop Village in Bolton - showing my age here) always played Dire Straits, Joan Armatrading along with Telarc Classical ( 1812 etc) to demonsrate equipment - what do they play now'

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You've downgraded, although my mum used to work at the LDV in Bolton about 30 years ago when I was a nipper.ÿ

Try The Beautiful South, K&D Sessions, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, Sade

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yes - Sade I like and Beautiful South i know vaguely - but does the change in my listening reflect 'downgrading' to simpler music??? Reviews were very good for Azur 840 series and it does sound very good on music i mentioned! Portugal not an easy place to listen to Hi Fi!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I was just trying to give you some new options that I think you would find appreciable and that would sound good on your new system. Your original Linn retails at about £2k on its own now, serious kit

ÿ

A

Anonymous

yes - thanks, I appreciate it - will look up your music suggestions on Amazon. Has there not been a great improvement in sound quality since my original Linn though???

TRENDING THREADS