New system based around Monitor Audio BR2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings!

I recently had it with my old 2.1 logitech speaker system, and bought a pair of Monitor Audio BR2, with the intent of making those the foundation of my desktop sound system.

the only source of music is my computer, with an onboard sound card. Currently it is hooked in to a low quality build Tangent AMP-50 amplifier. Sadly this setup gives quite the hissing.

The computer is mainly used as a Gaming rig + music while working.

I would like to take a few steps in the direction of better sound!

I have been thinking about, whether i need to go DAC, dedicated sound card or DAC + Dedicated soundcard (optical out). Also i was considering nuforce icon HDP, hooked up to some hidden power amplifier - it looks really nice.

I need amplification + accessories (sound card, dac, etc) But i am very uncertain as to whats good, and more specifically what complements my speakers well.

I will be very grateful for any help given.
Thanks! :)

:quest:

A

Anonymous

Alternately i could go get myself a Asus xonar D2X and a set of Aego M's

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
lol, i'm trying to come up with an answer but i'm struggling for some reason...head still buzzing from the Rugby :dance:

OK, to answer your second post - I'd probably save that option as a last resort! I know first hand how good the D2X is (still using mine!) but the Aego's at the end of the day are not Hi-Fi.

Ultimately your solution hinges on your budget so to give a proper answer you should try and pin down a target figure.

The kind of solution I would be looking at in your situation though would probably be based around a dedicated soundcard and a good amp to drive the speakers. For the soundcard the D2X is showing it's age these days compared to its newer siblings and if anything is aimed directly at the gamer/home cinema type setup. If your needs are primarily stereo then you need something with twin analogue outs such as the Asus Xonar Essence ST or STX.

Amp-wise, now this is where I stumble and give the stock answer of "try to audition a few from companies like NAD, Rotel and Marrantz" simply because I havent listened to any hi-fi amps for a few years! Seriously though, an audition would be a good idea, if possible with your pc as the source (probably not practical but still worth attempting).

Just out of interest, what prompted you to buy the BR2's?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answer drichardb :)

The essence STX does indeed look nice, for some reason i had looked up the d2x and pinned it as a "would like to have" but the stx looks like the superior card, and it seems like it would be a better long term buy.

My budget is variable within reason, i live in denmark, so some things here are more expensive than they are in britain - i have to pay 3 times the price on aego m's, just as an example. I am thinking something aroudn 250£ - 300£ for an amp, i dont mind buying used gear.

The reason i bought these speakers, was more of an impulse purchase, i have read alot of good about the monitor audio bx2 and when my friend offered the BR2s - who pretty much never was used. I bought them, cheap aswell.

Its my first step in to any kind of hi-fi. Previously i have just had my computer hooked up to cheap-end 2.1 systems.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Nice work on the speakers :)

I had heard Scandinavian countries are pretty expensive (got a friend who works in Sweden).

Still for that kind of money you should be able to pick up something that would be more than capable of producing good sound.

This is where a little bit of caution is advisable though. Unless anyone else here is able to give some very firm recommendations I would definately try to find a local hi-fi dealer so that you can listen to a few. At least then you can make an informed purchase rather than picking something out on the fleabay lottery.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again drichardb, i did as you suggest - i "sampled" the audio retailers here a bit, they were kind enough to let me try me speakers on their equipment.

I found the RCD-M38DAB quite interesting, and have been lucky enough to try it out here at home for a couple of days. It has quite a small footprint, which is a plus. Gonna let it grow on me for a couple of days.

Sadly the soundcard has not yet arived, but even without it i am quite fond of the denon thus far.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts