New system, amp and speakers advices..again

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Nice that my Panasonic microwave aspires to such high end equipment. It does sound very nice through my Naim Unitilite (system synergy etc).

The problem is that the vinyl warps very quickly - barely plays one side (and that is on the lowest setting!) - a bit like the pizzas too!

In that respect - it is expensive to run.

Sound quality is very good though - but the ding at the end is annoying during a quiet patch of music.

cheers tonky

rainsoothe

insider9 said:
rainsoothe said:
insider9 said:
rainsoothe said:
Again, even if I sound like a broken record, once you heard (AND LIKED) Naim, you'll have little chance of being satisified with other stuff. None is perfect, it's all subjective, and there are trade-offs (you'll never hear and Accuphase type of soundstage or details on a Naim amp - at least none that I heard - but for musicality and rhythmic flow, I heard nothing that can beat Naim - at their respective prices).

I take it you've not heard Densen... it's all you describe but more effortless with gorgeous fluid midrange and an open top. If you have an opportunity try it.

I haven't, and I don't think I'll ever get the chance to, unfortunately, as I've read a lot of good things about them. Some swear by Densen as a better alternative to Naim, others say they still don't have the same drive (the "efortlessness" you're referring to, probably). I'm also partial to "open top range"s, as too open of a top end can make music sound a bit discombobulated to me. But fluid midrange? Yes please :)  I'm also not really keen on the looks and the lack of remote (is this a thing? Or was that some other brand?)
You're welcome to come and have a listen to mine if you're anywhere near Sheffield or travelling this way.
Would love to, thank you. However, I'm only visiting the UK for a few days this year (London), don't know if I can squeeze or budget an extra trip during my stay. If I can, I'll gladly take yoy up on your offer :)

insider9

rainsoothe said:
insider9 said:
rainsoothe said:
insider9 said:
rainsoothe said:
Again, even if I sound like a broken record, once you heard (AND LIKED) Naim, you'll have little chance of being satisified with other stuff. None is perfect, it's all subjective, and there are trade-offs (you'll never hear and Accuphase type of soundstage or details on a Naim amp - at least none that I heard - but for musicality and rhythmic flow, I heard nothing that can beat Naim - at their respective prices).

I take it you've not heard Densen... it's all you describe but more effortless with gorgeous fluid midrange and an open top. If you have an opportunity try it.

I haven't, and I don't think I'll ever get the chance to, unfortunately, as I've read a lot of good things about them. Some swear by Densen as a better alternative to Naim, others say they still don't have the same drive (the "efortlessness" you're referring to, probably). I'm also partial to "open top range"s, as too open of a top end can make music sound a bit discombobulated to me. But fluid midrange? Yes please :) I'm also not really keen on the looks and the lack of remote (is this a thing? Or was that some other brand?)
You're welcome to come and have a listen to mine if you're anywhere near Sheffield or travelling this way.
Would love to, thank you. However, I'm only visiting the UK for a few days this year (London), don't know if I can squeeze or budget an extra trip during my stay. If I can, I'll gladly take yoy up on your offer :)

thumbs_up.png

Do let me know before as I tend to swap boxes on a regular basis, so no guarantee Densen will still be here and if so it may be something up the range.

I'm a box swapper and enjoy it almost as much as listening to music itself :)

Beppep

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
hi guys,

went for demo, EPOS tower and Harbeth P3ESR, M30.1 and SLH5, here my impressions.

Epos, well balanced, fast drivers but not so open.

Harbeth P3ESR overall very very good, refined high, super dynamic, decent bass that doesnt go so deep, but amazing sound for the size.

Habeth M30.1, what can I say, performed well for me, not so deep bass, but well balanced, open and good separation.

SLH5, dont have space for these, amazing speaker but I believe the M30.1 has better separation, seems that bass tend to cover mid.

First I matched with Creek 100a, then with Resolution Cantata, both performed wery well, little bit more refined Resolution, but really good impression on Creek. Plugged my SL1200 mk5 in both and compared with RegaP6, I would say that there is difference but Rega didnt performed as it comes from an higher class compared with my turntable.

So i decided, I will not audition ELAC, PMC or others even if I am tented about horn speakers :) and I ordered the Harbeth 30.1 that I will get Saturday.

Now, which amp? do you suggest an amp without DAC or something with DAC in, I see there are quite high level dac right now, dont think that Creek has a decent one built in.

Thank you for your advices.

Beppe

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For amps (depending on budget), I'd look at Sugden, Pathos, Croft, Arcam, Unison Research Unico, Electrocompaniet, Vincent, Rega and Creek.

gasolin

yes, since in most cases you can't upgrade an internal dac and why have something in a amp if you don't use it (or just isn't good enough), okay it's the same if you have a phono stage, but it's possible to change cartridge an then get better sound, you can't upgrade cdplayer og pc so the sound quality from the built in dac is much better, like buying a better cartridge.

External dac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
What’s your budget for amp & DAC? I for one favour a built-in DAC. It’s one box less: less space, lower cost, less complicated. I kinda like the Peachtree range.

If you feel you’re a box swapper deep inside, ignore the above.

Beppep

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Well

was thinking about a streaming + dac as for instance pioneer or Cambridge audio, however seems that they both have old dac chip..budget for dac around 800/900, amplifier i check on second hand, budget 1800/2000

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Aforementioned Peachtree models.

A Pathos with DAC or DAC EVO card

If ex-demo or mint second hand doesn’t scare you off, you could even look at Devialet (with a SAM profile for your Harbeths).

Different angle: would you consider valves?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Beppep said:
hi guys,

went for demo, EPOS tower and Harbeth P3ESR, M30.1 and SLH5, here my impressions.

Epos, well balanced, fast drivers but not so open.

Harbeth P3ESR overall very very good, refined high, super dynamic, decent bass that doesnt go so deep, but amazing sound for the size.

Habeth M30.1, what can I say, performed well for me, not so deep bass, but well balanced, open and good separation.

SLH5, dont have space for these, amazing speaker but I believe the M30.1 has better separation, seems that bass tend to cover mid.

First I matched with Creek 100a, then with Resolution Cantata, both performed wery well, little bit more refined Resolution, but really good impression on Creek. Plugged my SL1200 mk5 in both and compared with RegaP6, I would say that there is difference but Rega didnt performed as it comes from an higher class compared with my turntable.

So i decided, I will not audition ELAC, PMC or others even if I am tented about horn speakers :) and I ordered the Harbeth 30.1 that I will get Saturday.

Now, which amp? do you suggest an amp without DAC or something with DAC in, I see there are quite high level dac right now, dont think that Creek has a decent one built in.

Thank you for your advices.

Beppe

you took your turntable to the dem ... ?

What was wrong with the Creek 100 DAC?

To buy an integrated on basis of DAC is perhaps a little misplaced but personally I can recommend Hegel and Cyrus amplifiers/DAC's although for slightly different reasons. However, this may not be to your liking. There are many amps with built in DAC's now but if you are the sort of person that always needs the latest greatest perhaps go for an amp without (The Creek is available without and you auditioned and liked it) and go for a separate DAC which you can sell whenever something new comes out ... often.

Alternatively, something like Mytek Brooklyn or Oppo could be used as a pre-amp and add a poweramplifier of your choice.

Beppep

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
nothing is wrong with Creek, however seems that it has no sub out, the dac or phono are sold as perates. In terms of performances, I know that doesnt mean anything, who is better: Creek 100a, Arcam A39, Rotel 1592?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts