New system advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a complete newcomer to home cinema, I would appreciate some advice on system selection and installation. After reading some reviews in What HiFi I have tentively chosen the following system:

Panasonic TH-37PX70, Panasonic DMR-EX95 ( I would like to transfer old Family VHS tapes and record to CD and hard disc), Onkyo TXSR505 and Jamo A102HCS5 speakers.

Are these compatable components and will they provide an adequate performance?

Would the Q Acoustics 1010 speakers ( currently £299 from Superfi ) be a better bet?

What connections are necessary?

Does the aerial co-ax need to be connected to the recorder, receiver and the TV or just the recorder?

How should they be connected together? I assume that HDMI best - Should I connect the recorder to the receiver and then to the TV?

If I just want to watch the TV, do the recorder and the receiver also need to be switched on?

Many thanks for any advice.

Trackman

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Trackman"]
Are these compatable components and will they provide an adequate performance?

[/quote]

Yes - though that combo recorder will slightly let the side down. You'd be better off getting your VHS tapes archived separately and buying a better DVD player/recorder.

[quote user="Trackman"]

Would the Q Acoustics 1010 speakers ( currently £299 from Superfi ) be a better bet?

[/quote]

At that price, yes. The Jamos are excellent for £250, but they're no match for the Q 1010 package - which was an Award winner at £500 last year.

[quote user="Trackman"]

What connections are necessary?

Does the aerial co-ax need to be connected to the recorder, receiver and the TV or just the recorder?

[/quote]

Aerial co-ax into the recorder than looped into the aerial socket of the TV.

[quote user="Trackman"]

How should they be connected together? I assume that HDMI best - Should I connect the recorder to the receiver and then to the TV?

[/quote]

Yes, HDMI's best. And yes, as the Onkyo allows HDMI pass-through (up to 1080p), you can connect the recorder to the receiver then the receiver to the TV. Don't forget you'll also need coaxial or optical audio cable to connect your recorder to the receiver.

[quote user="Trackman"]

If I just want to watch the TV, do the recorder and the receiver also need to be switched on?

[/quote]

The recorder will need to be on standby, but not on. The receiver will only need to be switched on if you want to watch TV via your proper speakers rather than the plasma's ones (which we'd highly recommend - they're the only slight weak point about that Pana TV). You'll then need to use the recorder's tuner or make another sonic connection between your TV and receiver.

Hope all this makes sense (especially as i've got a heavy cold!) - any other questions, please ask.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare - makes perfect sense now!

Really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Trackman

A

Anonymous

....................and another question:

If I wanted to input an analogue signal into the Onkyo TX-SR505, say a turntable, can that be done?

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Aerial co-ax into the recorder than looped into the aerial socket of the TV[/quote]

Hi Clare, What exactly is that?

Since we're talking about connections. If I had to buy an all in one surround, what connects to what?

i was thinking of going for the LG HT902 ( would have gone for the DAV IS10, but apparently my room (too big) is borderline for that model and may not have enough volume to fill my room). The LG does not have a TV in. What does that mean? Will I still be able to hear TV on my surround?

I have just one question regarding this system: is HT902TB the-same as HT902PB. as the latter is available from comet.
It seems that the only difference is the size of the front speakers. Do you think that it should make a difference?

A

Anonymous

.........sorry, one more question, I would also like to attach my MacBook Pro whisch has an DVI output and a an optical sound output. Where should I connect these to watch it using my LG surround system.

Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts