New System advice - £1500 budget

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am setting up a new system and need some advice.

Following reviews and seeing the set, I am going for the Samsung LE37B550.(£450 approx)

For the remainder of my budget I need to pay for:

• Moving Sky cables (new TV location)
    Blu ray player (or PS3)
    TV Stand/Pedestal
    Surround system (Jamo A102HCS5?) plus stands - room won’t allow for hidden cables
    Cabling
    I am considering changing my Sat provision as I currently use Sky's Free-Sat service (don't laugh) - possibly to Virgin's cheaper offering as TBH I don't watch that much telly, but would like the option of some free HD channels etc..
    Possibly paying a chap to install this correctly (£200 max)

So, help required - what am I missing? Any common mistakes?

I can feel some of you readers of this going "tut, tut, tut, how naive" but seriously, I need some help and guidance - I'd rather learn from others than the painful expensive way myself!

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

Messiah

Also, you don't have any type of amp/receiver listed to run everything. Do you have one already or do you need to budget for this too??

(Oh and if you are going to pay someone £200 to install it, if you live near Portsmouth then I will do it!
emotion-4.gif
)

A

Anonymous

I'll check out the stand :)

An Amp/Receiver - OK, need to add that to the list. Though that raises the next obvious question - Which one?

I am near Swinodn, Wiltshire - probably too far from Portsmouth!

A

Anonymous

Amp Budget: To be honest, I don't know. If it is accepted that the Screen will be £450, then £1050 for the remainder, Speakers £350? Stand £150? Blu-Ray £400? Leaves £200 for the remainder.

Hmm, not enough.

So let's say I have a further £500, so therefore £700 for cables, amp, etc.

John Duncan

Telly - good choice, £450
Blu Ray - Sony BDP-S360 - currently £120
Amp - plenty of options. Received wisdom says the Sony STRDA2400ES at £400, though I'm a Yamaha fan.
Stand - as per Messiah above, 50 quid
Speakers - personally I'd get the Q Acoustics 1010i package for 350 quid, but the Jamos might do at a pinch for 100 quid less (I'd be least inclined to skimp here, unless you must have teeny speakers).
TV Source - get a Freeview HD box, 180 quid. Not a PVR at that price though I don't think.

Right, so that's...£1,550, without any cables or workmen moving stuff.

Lots of options to make some savings - keep the Sky box for a while, spend a bit less on the amp, go with your original choice of speakers...hopefully that'll give you some ideas?

Messiah

Ok, trying to stick to the original budget, I would go for these:

Speakers - Here Unless THESE are available...So max £500

TV Stand - as mentioned before - £50

Receiver - Here £280 EDIT - reading the post above suggests it's cheaper at Richer Sounds.....

BD Player - Here £120

Total so far is £950

Plenty for cabling. Might just have to go a little over to accomodate stands.....

scene

NewBoyTony: Hello,

I am setting up a new system and need some advice.

Following reviews and seeing the set, I am going for the Samsung LE37B550.(£450 approx)

So I'm assuming this leaves you with about £1050 for the rest

For the remainder of my budget I need to pay for:

• Moving Sky cables (new TV location)
Can you do this yourself - to save money? I'm going to move my satellite point, and the only real cost is going to be a new cable (dish to socket) if the current one won't stretch

• Blu ray player (or PS3)
Sony BDP-s360 - can get for about £105

• TV Stand/Pedestal
As above, £50 seems a bargain for that stand!

• Surround system (Jamo A102HCS5?) plus stands - room won't allow for hidden cables
Jamo set is good, wouldn't rule out testing the Q Acoustics 2000 package. Don't look quite so stylish, but a bit more bang for your buck.

• Cabling
Some Chord Carnival Silverscreen (@ £6/m) for speakers, a couple of ThatCable HDMI leads @£4.95 to connect BDP, screen and amp

• I am considering changing my Sat provision as I currently use Sky's Free-Sat service (don't laugh) - possibly to Virgin's cheaper offering as TBH I don't watch that much telly, but would like the option of some free HD channels etc..
    Possibly paying a chap to install this correctly (£200 max)

So, help required - what am I missing? Any common mistakes?

I can feel some of you readers of this going "tut, tut, tut, how naive" but seriously, I need some help and guidance - I'd rather learn from others than the painful expensive way myself!

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

The missing amp: The Denon AVR-1910, if you can stretch to £400 would be good

A free trip to your local Dealer to try this lot out - priceless
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you to all for the sound advice - really much appreciated.

If any other readers for this post have suggestions, please put them forward.

Cheers,
Tony

Must be nearly time for me to dig out that credit card... :)

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Another option for your HD source would be to buy a Humax Freesat box. You already have the dish fitted, so all you need to do is connect up the Humax in its place. Humaxdirect sell A-grade versions of this box for £89.95 (plus either £5 or 7.50 delivery).

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10070&cat=stb

If you go with virgin you'll need a V+ Box which costs £75 (plus perhaps installation, usually £50 - not sure of their latest deals). But of course you will also be paying a monthly fee, which you won't be with freesat. There are a few more channels on Virgin, but to be honest they're not exactly worth shouting about.

Amp: I'd try and get hold of the Sony STRDA2400ES or the Denon AVR-1910 both £400.

Speakers: The q-acoustics are fabulous for the cash.

Stands: Try the Levv stands on amazon - £59.95. We have a couple at work and they are very well made for the cash.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00111UKN4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1J9ZW7WWQB733DM2SRAH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Enjoy!

Rob

TRENDING THREADS