New surround sound receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good evening folks,

I'm at a loss to decide what receiver to get.

Sadly, Yamaha DSP-AX863 isn't available in Sweden.

I have narrowed the list to:

Denon 1909, Onkyo 606 or Yamaha RX-V863 (slightly more expensive, but has upscaling) which other's don't.

Pondered also over Denon's 2909, but as it costs same as Yamaha and without scaling I ruled it out so far.

Not sure if I need upscaling though, got a HD Ready TV, and the only thing that'd benefit from 1080p when I get such a device, is blu-ray which my player can do right now, and all mentioned receivers can throughut that resolution anyways.

Speakers are Jamo A102HC5, and I'd like a receiver that don't make them overly bright or dark in their sound. Speakers are newest component so I'm not changing them for a while.

Any input are welcome!

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just one thing, you mention the only thing which would benefit from upscaling is Blu-Ray, but Blu-Ray doesn't need to be upscaled, since it's already presented in 1080p. Do you mean DVD? In which case, I would get the best sounding amp to your ears and instead make sure you get a Blu-Ray with decent DVD upscaling abilities.
A home cinema amp / receiver's foremost duty is 5.1 sound, always go with the best one for that in your price range. Any features over and above that are bonuses IMO.

A

Anonymous

Errr, my bad.

I knew that much about blu-ray. DVD isthe one benefiting of course, regular transmission looks pretty good anyways when recorded at highest quality (Sony HDD/DVR 890). Blu-ray is a Sony BD-P500, so yes, that handles DVD/blu-ray at a premium.

So I guess what I'm looking for is:

Receiver X doesn't sound good with those speakers, becomes shrill. That sort of advice.

Problem is there's a problem getting demos where I live. Most dealers don't have speakers and the one that does, doesn't carry the receivers...

Think I'll have to make an all day in Stockholm out of it me thinks.

Cheers

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi martin, i was in the same quandry as you recently, I got the Jamo's but no dealers near me (Ireland) to test any Amps with them so, on the advice of the forum members here i went for the Onkyo 606................

Now as i hav'nt heard the Denon or Yamaha in action i cant comment.......but what i can say is the Onkyo and Jamo run very well together........im very pleased with this set-up.............

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:
Hi martin, i was in the same quandry as you recently, I got the Jamo's but no dealers near me (Ireland) to test any Amps with them so, on the advice of the forum members here i went for the Onkyo 606................

Now as i hav'nt heard the Denon or Yamaha in action i cant comment.......but what i can say is the Onkyo and Jamo run very well together........im very pleased with this set-up.............

I used to have the Jamos with the Sony STR-DA1200es so I suppose the latest equivalent is the 2400es. However, I don't know whether it's because of the Sony but I never found the Jamos sharp at the top end. The only flaw I could lay at the Jamos (and it's like expecting too much of a £200 style system) is that they are not the best for cd playback.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, good to know that they sound good with the Onkyo at least.

I think I'll have to find a dealer that stocks the receivers and make them play a favourite section of my favourite movie and just listen to which receiver I like the best. As long as it's the same speakers with all receivers I'll get a soundstage that's similar.

I now also looked at the Denon 2909 and Onkyo 706 and 806.... Before you know it, I'll be at top receivers... Not good for the wallet...

TRENDING THREADS