New streamer

HoxtonBridge

May 28, 2022
Visit site
have been looking at the Audiolab, Quad, Volumio, Blusound, and Pro-ject streamers. I'm not settled on models yet, I am just interested in their respective software implementations e.g. BluOS; Play-fi etc. What experience has anyone had with these? Is Volumio worth the extra 3£ a month to stream Tidal, for example? Is Play-Fi a little temperamental?

Thanks in advance.
HB.

podknocker

I have an Audiolab Omnia, using DTS PlayFi and it seems to be stable, after a few teething problems. It sounds great, without using a LAN cable and it works OK. I needed a full licence key, to get the thing singing, otherwise it would stop and drop, every few minutes. Infuriating. Oddly, my tunes sound better, via bluetooth, which is strange, as it's aptx low latency, but I'm not sure if it's HD also. Lossless bluetooth is waiting in the wings and should be out this year, on headphones etc. I'm not sure why the DTS sound is worse than the BT, as it's resampled at CD bitrate, on my laptop, in FLAC container format, before being sent to my Omnia. Even when connected to a LAN cable, it sounds worse than BT. Crackers. If I had zero HIFI kit, I would buy the Roksan Attessa, at £1495 and stick a pair of KEF LS50 metas, with matching stands, on the end of it. Be around £3k and would do me for a while. I'm sure the BluOS platform is easier to use, than the DTS one and won't give you a 5 second delay. Also, if you are using a phone to stream to the Omnia, you enjoy higher bitrates, including MQA files etc. A DTS support agent advised me that the Windows version of DTS PlayFi, maxes out at CD quality. I don't currently own a smartphone. Live and learn.

Last edited:

podknocker

Interesting...I wonder if the bluetooth compression is taming an overly bright treble for you...?
In your position I would be tempted to get a cheap Samsung phone (or just borrow one... ) to see what I might be missing. 🙂
If anything, there's more treble, than via DTS, which I prefer, although there's still not enough. I have been banging on about the Omnia and QA3030i combo, being a but soft and rolled off a bit too early, in the treble. I'm still looking for much brighter speakers. With the DTS in use, the sound is more 'forced' and woolly, lumpy, ploddy, droney and there is less detail, by an appreciable amount. With the DTS app, the bass is softer and not as well defined, or tuneful etc. Proper weird.

I've stopped using DTS now, not just because of this, but because of the 5 second delay, when switching through playlists etc. Also, I use iplayer, All 4 and Netflix, so there's no delay with these, if I don't engage DTS. I'm happy with the sound and the CD player appears to be more reliable, since I updated th servo version. The DTS app can also be annoying, if I wake my laptop from sleep mode, only to find the 'primary device driver' has stopped working. I can connect to the Omnia, but like many drivers, it's not initialised, when bringing it out of sleep. A reboot tends to sort it.

I am considering taking the plunge and getting a new phone. I'm not a Luddite, but they are big and tricky to carry and I might just get one and stick it on top of my new WIFI HIFI, just for tunes. I don't like the idea of having my entire virtual footprint, in my pocket and it gets dropped, or 'compromised' etc. You do hear some horror stories. I know I'm in the minority, using a standard phone, but losing access to your life, finances and, sometimes, identity, does fill me with dread.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

If anything, there's more treble, than via DTS, which I prefer, although there's still not enough. I have been banging on about the Omnia and QA3030i combo, being a but soft and rolled off a bit too early, in the treble. I'm still looking for much brighter speakers. With the DTS in use, the sound is more 'forced' and woolly, lumpy, ploddy, droney and there is less detail, by an appreciable amount. With the DTS app, the bass is softer and not as well defined, or tuneful etc. Proper weird. I've stopped using DTS now, not just because of this, but because of the 5 second delay, when switching through playlists etc. Also, I use iplayer, All 4 and Netflix, so there's no delay with these, if I don't engage DTS. I'm happy with the sound and the CD player appears to be more reliable, since I updated th servo version. The DTS app can also be annoying, if I wake my laptop from sleep mode, only to find the 'primary device driver' has stopped working. I can connect to the Omnia, but like many drivers, it's not initialised, when bringing it out of sleep. A reboot tends to sort it.
Annoying. It sounds like the DTS app is 'mangling'' the sound then! If other inputs sound ok then that seems to confirm it...
Have you tried using a DLNA app like mConnect for PC to send from your laptop (as a server) to the Omnia?

Last edited:

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I demo'd the Bluesound Node 2i against the Cambridge CXN V2 and the CXN was clearly better, especially in the bass. It was using Audiolab 6000A amp and Dali speakers (oberon 3 I think).

I also shortlisted the Audiolab 6000N streamer as I had the matching amp, but after a discussion about DTS PlayFi it didn't even get plugged in.

I stream from my Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 and Qobuz using Roon and internet radio direct to the CXN.

The CXN has had several firmware updates since I got it, enabling Chromecast and Roon. It's a great piece of kit and I'd really recommend it.

mcsweej

Mar 15, 2023
Visit site
Respectfully disagree with the CXN v2. It would only allow (my particular setup) thru Chromecast and was far too cumbersome. I got rid of it and picked up the Blusound node. It's a far better user experience and my tired ears could not notice much difference in sound quality. User interface way more intuitive and user friendly in my opinion (after owning both).
Happy listening

SteveR750

I ordered the nad CS1 a while ago, it arrives tomorrow, just as the Wiim Pro appears in stock, though I need Roon compatibility so that rules the Wiim out for the time being. I can stream Spotify through its native app, and qobuz via Roon or bubble upnp until they (qobuz) get their app sorted out.

I ordered the nad CS1 a while ago, it arrives tomorrow, just as the Wiim Pro appears in stock, though I need Roon compatibility so that rules the Wiim out for the time being. I can stream Spotify through its native app, and qobuz via Roon or bubble upnp until they (qobuz) get their app sorted out.
Is it essentially a Bluesound Node in a conventional box?

Juzzie Wuzzie

Eagerly looks forward to hearing about real world use of the CS1!

SteveR750

Well a bit hmmm...

Easy to set up (though you need to install Google home if android user).
I use qobuz which works via, Roon at full res options or from app using cast (limited to 96khz)
Spotify connect works flawlessly.
Roon is seriously flawed. I keep getting a slow to load media error on hi res tracks from either qobuz or from library and the track skips. I don't know 8f it's Roon hardware issue, my network or a flaky nad connection. At the moment I'm hoping it's because Roon is on an old laptop and it can't buffer fast enough. Playing via cast using the qobuz app is fine, though of course somewhere 192k tracks are being down sampled to 96 and that is a potential source of unwanted distortion.
SQ is good, though the dac is not noticeably better than the one in my Yamaha A-S501 amp which whilst not entirely surprising for a £300 device, is a tad disappointing, especially given that the yamaha on its entirety is only another £50!
I have thought about buying a wiim pro and comparing them, but the onboard dac is allegedly not great, and I might need to use it one day, plus it's not yet Roon compatible and the built in GEQ is horrible by all accounts.
FWIW, some of the latest hi res albums from qobuz, such as the pink floyd dsotm 74 Wembley release and U2's acoustic release sound fabulous. I think 24 bit audio is absolutely coming of age.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

SteveR750

Should add that you'll need to use some controller to play your music library on a NAS. I use a Synology device, they have their own media player app, though Bubble upnp would work fine. The attraction of Roon of course is the fully featured DSP which is great for room correction.

SteveR750

Update, it was my pc that wasn't configured optimally to run Roon core. I changed some 9f the processor settings, and I've had no issues at all on 24/192 tracks. It works flawlessly, and sounds great. I've been comparing CD and 24 bit remastered albums, and for the most part, the remastered hi res tracks are noticeably better.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

Juzzie Wuzzie

Update, it was my pc that wasn't configured optimally to run Roon core. I changed some 9f the processor settings, and I've had no issues at all on 24/192 tracks. It works flawlessly, and sounds great. I've been comparing CD and 24 bit remastered albums, and for the most part, the remastered hi res tracks are noticeably better.

SteveR750 ... any further thoughts about the NAD CS1 now that you've had it a month or so?

Reactions: manicm

FeastOfSnakes

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
I've used the bluesound app via my node and it's pretty intuitive, geared up for all the major streaming services.

My new Lumin D2's app is OK but not as well presented or intuitive.

There's a contradiction between high quality streaming hardware and apps that feel like they've not been designed by coders or tested. They can be really opaque.

The other thing to remember is that many streamers will have Tidal, Qobuz, Airplay, etc. "built in" so you can use their apps to control your music rather than that designed by the hardware manufacturer.

manicm

have been looking at the Audiolab, Quad, Volumio, Blusound, and Pro-ject streamers. I'm not settled on models yet, I am just interested in their respective software implementations e.g. BluOS; Play-fi etc. What experience has anyone had with these? Is Volumio worth the extra 3£ a month to stream Tidal, for example? Is Play-Fi a little temperamental?

Thanks in advance.
HB.

Now that MQA is kaput, I would go for any BluOS or HEOS streaming component. HEOS has Spotify Connect, but to use Tidal you must use it within its app - a bit clunky, but don't worry it's still streaming directly from Tidal to your component. And like BluOS it's completely gapless, whether you stream from Wifi or a local USB stick.

As some have said avoid Play-Fi. Apparently it's improved, but still a mess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts