New Speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I know i've just posted one topic not that long ago but wanted to start another one to see what opinions/ideas people had I am looking for new floorstanding speakers to go with my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and Arcam 8SE CD player, i listen to alot of electronic bassy music like Leftfield, Underworld, Fischerspooner and Hed Kandi but also listen to Pink Floyd, Queen, Jethro Tull etc... I have a budget of upto £700 so the chioces are: B&W 684's Monitor Audio BR5's Monitor Audio BR6's Monitor Audio RS6's Kefi IQ5SE's OR I could go for the B&W 685's with decent stands. Now my main concern is that the Monitor Audios are either 6ohms or 4ohms. Is my Arcam 9 integrated amp going to have sufficient power to drive them well? I never have my music blasting out but i do like to have it up so that it rubmles the furniture a bit haha... What are your opinions?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
From that list I'd go for either the 684s or RS6s, and I think I'd end up choosing the RS6s.

Yes, the Arcam amp will drive them well, no problem at all.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO faster, tighter and more powerful sound. But then for a long time I was a Monitor Audio devotee, with a pair of Studio 20s at home, so guess I 'get' the MA sound.

A

Anonymous

monitor audios are great, I got my GR20's second hand for 700 beans, you might wanna look on ebay ad see what you can find.

A

Anonymous

Im thinking of getting a pair of rs6's to go with my musical fidelity xa1/xa50 -x-ray set up, im useing b&W CM2'S at the moment, my only concern is my room size wich is 3-3.5 (ish), ive had floorstanders in there before and got away with it. The rs6s do come with bungs so that will help. How good do they sound? i will do a demo, anyone have an idea on how they will sound with my smooth sounding mf gear?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Has anyone else got any opinions on the above?[/quote]

I have a pair of RS6's so I am biased. But I did home demo and do all the right things and ended up with them! Some people have said Sevenoaks have a MA sale at the moment - not sure if it's still on though.

On a very shallow note though - the RS6 finsish is (IMO) much better than the BR5, so the extra £100 (I think) also buys extra WAF if that helps!

Dan - note that the RS6's are not well thought of on the 'Wam though!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bloney - What do you mean 'on the wam'?

In regards to Sevenoaks, they have a good discount so the RS6's end up at £450 they told me. Going to audition a set this weekend along side the B&W 684's and the 685's.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Bloney - What do you mean 'on the wam'?[/quote]

I think it means something to do with running away from somewhere - or is that 'on the lam'?

A

Anonymous

I am also in the market for a new pair of floor standing speakers, for the past few months I have been told that KEF iQ7's are the way to go, then I was that Monitor Audio RS6's (according to some research, they appear to be the best) and today as salesman tried to convince me that the B&W 684's were better. I just want a non-biased opinion on what speaker is going to be the best for the money. They will be powered by either the Pioneer Elite VSX-94thx or the Dennon 3808CI(opinions on either of these would also be appreciated)

Many thanks in advance for your input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts