New speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking at getting a new set of speakers to pair with CA 640a and 640c

Could either go for new Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s or go to ebay for used Monitor BR2s (as both are front reflex).

Can't go above £150, and placement in a smallish room next to wall. Don't want to have bass overkill either and prefer to get a good mid & upper range

Would either of these be a decent purchase or are there others I should consider?

Thanks,

matthewpiano

The Wharfedales every time. I've had BR2s and they aren't a patch on the Diamond 9.1s. The MAs are good and give a very big boned sound with good integration between the drive units but they can be over-bearing in the bass and they lack clarity in the midrange. Sometimes vocalists sound as if they are singing through a sock. Given everything you've said I'd avoid them.

The Diamonds are amazing for the money and their treble and midrange are better than a lot of more expensive speakers. They aren't fussy about positioning and the bass is surprisingly extended but tight and tuneful. Most importantly (and the reason why I've gone back to them after lots of other speakers) they are extremely refined and very skilled in terms of soundstaging and dynamic range. They are a very natural sounding speaker, perfect for extended listening sessions, and I'd say they are ideal for controlling the brighter tendencies of your electronics.

Only criticism is that the quality of the finish could be better. From what I can see this has been rectified in the new 10.1s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, will try and have a listen to the 9.1s or 10.1s over the weekend

A

Anonymous

Yep, another vote here for the wharfedale's.

Ive had the BR2's, and they boom loke crazy in the bass. Thery are a good speaker for a bigger room, and away from the walls.

TRENDING THREADS