New Speakers to replace Mission Speakers

grahamboyd

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
In 1995 I bought the following separate Hi Fi components:

Cyrus 3 Amp, Marantz CD - 63SE, Mission 780se Speakers.

Basically I have enjoyed this system for 13 years and to me it still sounds awesome - a crisp sound almost 3D like (described to me as a forward sounded system). I want to keep the CD player and amp but need to replace the speakers - they look dated. I think they cost around £250 at the time.

Can anyone please suggest speakers that would give me the same sound quality - I have contacted various Hi fi shops in Glasgow and have been told Epos M5i speakers others say Bowers & Wilkins 685 speakers. I have had conflicting advice both said to be great and both rubbished. Any other suggestions please.

Many Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
grahamboyd:I have contacted various Hi fi shops in Glasgow and have been told Epos M5i speakers others say Bowers & Wilkins 685 speakers. I have had conflicting advice both said to be great and both rubbished. Any other suggestions please.
I think that's your issue - some people love the 685s (me included), others find them a bit dull. Also depends on your partnering equipment obviously. The only way to tell for yourself is to have a listen.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it depends on whether you want a more vibrant or a more relaxed sound. After all you are 13 years older now ;-)

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:Just out of interest, is this purely for looks because you say you love the sound and want speakers that sound the same?? So why change them????

I'm pretty sure you can better Mission 780 speakers

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:Of course you can. He just says he wants the same sound quality?? I take it he means better??

I would imagine so

ÿ

grahamboyd

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Basically I am looking for speakers to give the equivalent sound or if not better than my present Mission speakers. My Mission speakers are black ash and have several deep scratches on outside so the main reason is to fit in with what my room now looks like.

Any ideas on speakers than would give same to better than Mission ones I have?

Thanks

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
What is the maximum you can stretch to? I think Rega's R3s would suit you down to the ground, both in sound and looks, but they are £150 or so more than the 685s...but at least you don't need stands with them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts