New Speakers Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having recently upgraded my CD player to a Cyrus CD6 and my amp to a Rega Mira 2000, I am now looking to replace my aged Diamond IVs (fed through Linn K1 cables), which stand close to the wall. I know it's ancient, but it still sounds good, particularly with vinyl on my P3/Elsys turntable. I am dithering between B&W 685s or Monitor Audio Silver RX1s. I know the advice is always to audition, but who these days will let you take speakers home? Is there anywhere within 50 miles of Bradford who may provide such a service.
Any advice or recommendations welcome.

Chris

A

Anonymous

IMO you'd be best to look at either the Monitor Audio BX2's or the B&W 685's

Both are forward firing so will give you a better soundstage and will work fine with the Rega amp. The M/A RX1's are superb speakers but they're rear ported so they need some room behind them for them to work at their best

chris62 said:
Having recently upgraded my CD player to a Cyrus CD6 and my amp to a Rega Mira 2000, I am now looking to replace my aged Diamond IVs (fed through Linn K1 cables), which stand close to the wall. I know it's ancient, but it still sounds good, particularly with vinyl on my P3/Elsys turntable. I am dithering between B&W 685s or Monitor Audio Silver RX1s. I know the advice is always to audition, but who these days will let you take speakers home? Is there anywhere within 50 miles of Bradford who may provide such a service. Any advice or recommendations welcome. Chris

Have a look through this listing:

http://www.locallife.co.uk/yorkshire/hifi-audio-stores.asp

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If music is your thing then you need to be looking at tall standing speakers, like the bx5 which is in your price range. Now as an overall speaker, I would say the BX5 does not stand a chance against the 685.

In order

BX5

RX1

That would be my choice, Of course you need to hear them, but i know thats easier said than done, so if you want somebody to tell you what to for then, here you are :)

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
chris62 said:
Having recently upgraded my CD player to a Cyrus CD6 and my amp to a Rega Mira 2000, I am now looking to replace my aged Diamond IVs (fed through Linn K1 cables), which stand close to the wall. I know it's ancient, but it still sounds good, particularly with vinyl on my P3/Elsys turntable. I am dithering between B&W 685s or Monitor Audio Silver RX1s. I know the advice is always to audition, but who these days will let you take speakers home? Is there anywhere within 50 miles of Bradford who may provide such a service. Any advice or recommendations welcome. Chris

Lots of summising and 'in my opinion' views. Best to trust your own ears I find. I'm surprised no dealers will let you try speakers at home these days. Try the MA dealer search for your area:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/dealers/uk

Sevenoaks at Wetherby should have the RX1 and B&W to compare. If you don't manage to sort anything out, let me know.

chris62 said:

Hi Chris

In addition to speakers such as the Silver RX1's i'll also recommend you look at Dynaudio's DM 2/6's (as i write this i've currently got these playing in the background connected to a Mira3 which is being being fed by a High Gloss P3-24/Elys 2- sounding just sweet btw
smiley-smile.gif
) and ATC SCM7 monitors. Something to bear in mind about the SCM7 monitors is their closed box design and also with a flat and honest presentation enables them to be placed close to walls without the LF in particular getting itself in to twist.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

michael hoy

plastic penguin said:
chris62 said:

Have a look through this listing: http://www.locallife.co.uk/yorkshire/hifi-audio-stores.asp

Just a note from this link above - Huddersfield HiFi is no longer in Halifax, they are however still at their base in Huddersfield

here.

The website is under the name of Audiovation, the people are very welcoming and friendly.

A friend of mine has purchased from these people several times and I popped in just for a look a couple of weeks ago.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dean,

I had thought of Sevenoaks Wetherby and will contact them shortly for an audition.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Chris - have you also considered auditioning Rega RS1s or, if you're willing to consider compact floorstanders, RS3s? Both of which are easy to drive, not too fussy about positioning and will match your Mira (and PS3 TT) well.

I have a pair of B&W 685s (now in my second system), which are a great speaker, but I've personally found both the RS1 and my current RS3s to be a better all round match for the Mira.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts