New speakers or AV receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I realize the answer to my question may have been buried and answered in many of the posts related to buying advice – but, I’ve read the majority of them, and don’t recall a good answer, I am looking for a more direct response.

I am searching for some new book shelf speakers - My budget is: £400

My current configuration, consists of Monitor Audio BX2s paired with a Onkyo TX-SR308 Home cinema receiver. NOTE: These speakers are not part of a system.

In regards to the amplifier, I think it provides sufficient power to the speakers and still retains clarity at anti-sociable levels.

I have owned a pair for quite some time and found them to be an accomplished speaker and satisyfying, in the sense of doing stuff and having attributes of a higher end speaker. They do everything to a high acceptable standard with the ability to pick detail at a level which is unseen at this price..... Their weakest attribute is base, it is not their strongest point. However the bass is present and is solid fast and agile.

I am looking in a new direction for something new which improves on all of their attributes.

Do you guys think i should buy a new amp, instead of new speakers? Its either one or the other. (Open to debate).

Link to Onkyo TX-SR308: Onkyo TX-SR308 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Link to Monitor Audio BX2: BX2 | Bronze BX | Monitor Audio

I am currently considering these contenders:

B & W 685 - Experience the B&W 685 - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Mezzo 2 - Mezzo 2 standmount / Mezzo / Products / Mordaunt Short

Monitor Audio RX1 - RX1 | Silver RX | Monitor Audio

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC4 - Tannoy - Residential - Summary

KEF Q300s - Loudspeakers, Hi-Fi Speakers, Audio Systems - KEF Loudspeakers

Primarily purposes: Muisc, Movies and TV. (No spefic order, equal amount).
In terms of music, I pretty much listien to everything and anything incluing mainstream stuff.

My genreas: Classical music, Traditional music, Electronic, Dub Step, Popular music (Blues, Country, Hip hop, RnB, Jazz, Reggae, Rock (Hevay metal, Punk rock) and Folk.

Feel free to suggest speakers, which you think will be suitable for me?

I hope my information has been informative and helpful enoguh for you guys to point me in the right direction.

I look forward and await your responses.

A

Anonymous

Your options are all quite close in performance to your current setup. Whatever you choose, do not expect significant differences in sound quality. A switch would only be required if you do not like the character of your current set. So the first question would be: what do you feel is missing in your current setup?

In terms of sound character, the B&Ws are probably the furthest away from MA, but also the hardest to drive. Your amplifier may not be able to drive them properly. Obviously if you're happy with your current setup, then the Silver line would be the recommended upgrade path.

Having heard the Onkyo TX-SR607 side-by-side with my Marantz PM6003 (yes I know, unfair comparison), I'd say you should be looking to upgrade your amp, not your speakers. Then again, the Onkyo x08 series are reportedly not as thin and clinical as previous models, so this may no longer be true -- but if you happen to find a discounted Marantz SR5005 or Yamaha RX-V767, be sure to give it a listen.

A

Anonymous

The BX2s do not strive on bass and is there for, their weakest attribute. Having said that it is not the weakest component in the system and as such i will begin focusing more towards upgrading to a new AV AMP. (As you stated).

My budget for the new AV AMP, is between £500-£400. (Ideally at £400, but i will spend the extra £100 for a AV amp like this Yamaha RXV1067 Titanium | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds, which is at £500, but was originally at £800. In the best case scenario I would like to find an amp, like the one mentioned above in similar specifications but for £400. There is only £100 in terms of room for expansion.

In regards to upgrading the speakers, Do you think my AV amp will provide sufficient power to a higher caliber speaker?

Thanks for your response.

T

the record spot

Have a look at a used Onkyo TX-NR905. Roughly £500, but well reviewed.

A

Anonymous

Hi,I have only found one used Onkyo TX-NR905 on ebay for £500.I cannot find a used Onkyo TX-NR905 anywhere else, could you recommend places which sell used AV amps?. Perhaps I could find one there.Would AV forums be a good place to look? I know they have a for sale forum for AV amps.Could you suggest other AV amps?

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

I have only found one used Onkyo TX-NR905 on ebay for £500.

I cannot find a used Onkyo TX-NR905 anywhere else, could you recommend places which sell used AV amps?. Perhaps I could find one there.

Would AV forums be a good place to look? I know they have a for sale forum for AV amps.

Could you suggest other AV amps?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You lost me at

malooq said:
Would other forums be a good place to look?

(Well, that and the endless bumping – give people some time to answer...)

FWIW I'd upgrade from the '308 to a TX-NR609, keep the BX2s, add a BX Centre and some rears, then consider adding a subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

I was imposing a question which I hoped to receive a answer from.To define the question, Do you know any forums which sell used electronic goods?In regards to allowing people time to post, I started to create this thread on Saturday and its now Monday. Three days with only three response, I dont expect to be bombarded with responses but I would expect more than three from a community as large as this one.In relation to bumping, the majority of people view the first few pages in a forum and its normally ones at the top of the page. If I dont bump when my thread is at the bottom, then there is a more likely hood of my thread being not noticed and subsequently no responses.Additionally it is frustrating that there are limitations. To exmplify: No PM - Private messaging.

I was imposing a question which I hoped to receive an answer from.

To define the question, Do you know any forums which sell used electronic goods?

In regards to allowing people time to post, I created this thread on Saturday and its now Monday. Three days with only three responses, I dont expect to be bombarded with responses but I would expect more than three from a community as large as this one.

In relation to bumping, the majority of people view the first few pages in a forum and its normally the ones at the top of the page. If I dont bump when my thread is at the bottom of the page, then there is a more likely hood of my thread being not noticed and subsequently no responses.

Additionally it is frustrating that there are limitations. To exemplify: No PM - Private messaging.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I believe there are such forums, but neither I nor any other member is going to point you to them, due to House Rules.

Sorry you feel let down by the poor response from the forum – three days and only three responses isn't letting ourselves down, but letting the whole class down. We'll have a team meeting and pledge to do better.

Yes, I'm very aware how bumping works. And also how annoying it is.

And yes, limitations are frustrating – but them's the breaks, kid.

matthewpiano

malooq

Just remember that as your fellow forum members we are not here to provide a service. Many of us like to help others where we feel we can, and where we have the time, but the forum is one part of a hobby for most of us and sometimes it has to take a back seat!

In terms of your conundrum, you have perfectly good speakers and your current amp won't be getting the best out of them. In your position I would be tempted to audition a better AV receiver from Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, or Denon to hear for yourself the difference better amplification could make. As my interest is mostly in 2-channel hi-fi I haven't heard many of the latest AV amps so wouldn't want to make any specific recommendations beyond this.

If you don't intend to build a multi-channel home cinema system why not buy a 2-channel amp instead? The Marantz PM6003 would comfortably outperform your current Onkyo and pair very well with the Monitor Audio speakers. As it is being replaced by the new PM6004 in September (according to several retailers), it is cracking value now at around £220.

Alternatively the Yamaha A-S500 is also an excellent amp (though not quite as good as the Marantz in my opinion) and would be worth auditioning at just under £300.

A

Anonymous

malooq said:
I was imposing a question which I hoped to receive a answer from.To define the question, Do you know any forums which sell used electronic goods?In regards to allowing people time to post, I started to create this thread on Saturday and its now Monday. Three days with only three response, I dont expect to be bombarded with responses but I would expect more than three from a community as large as this one.In relation to bumping, the majority of people view the first few pages in a forum and its normally ones at the top of the page. If I dont bump when my thread is at the bottom, then there is a more likely hood of my thread being not noticed and subsequently no responses.Additionally it is frustrating that there are limitations. To exmplify: No PM - Private messaging.

I was imposing a question which I hoped to receive an answer from.

To define the question, Do you know any forums which sell used electronic goods?

In regards to allowing people time to post, I created this thread on Saturday and its now Monday. Three days with only three responses, I dont expect to be bombarded with responses but I would expect more than three from a community as large as this one.

In relation to bumping, the majority of people view the first few pages in a forum and its normally the ones at the top of the page. If I dont bump when my thread is at the bottom of the page, then there is a more likely hood of my thread being not noticed and subsequently no responses.

Additionally it is frustrating that there are limitations. To exemplify: No PM - Private messaging.

With this kind of attitude Malooq you should just be very grateful for the help and advice that Matthew and Andrew have given you.

matthewpiano

Just to add, the NAD C326BEE would also be worth auditioning if you don't need the multi-channel amp, as it's prodigious bass performance would help to fill out the sound from the BX2s a little.

Finally, how have you got the BX2s set up?

They are not the bassiest speakers in the world but they have considerable talents in other areas, and experimenting with different placements might eek a little extra low frequency performance from them. What sort of stands are they on and how far are they from the wall? Are they toed in towards your listening space or firing straight ahead?

You would be surprised how much difference you can make by making relatively small changes to placement.

A

Anonymous

"Yes, I believe there are such forums, but neither I nor any other member is going to point you to them, due to House Rules." Thats understandable.

"Yes, I'm very aware how bumping works. And also how annoying it is." I am sorry if i have been a bit of a nuisance through bumping, apologies.

Thats understandable.I am sorry is i have been a bit of a nuisance, apologies.

A

Anonymous

Hi,Thanks for your informative response.Its apparent that my AV amplifier is the weakest component in the chain (as you stated), I will be looking to upgrade it.As far as upgrading, I don't know where to start.I do intend to build a multi-channel home cinema system, so that rules out the possibility of purchasing 2-channel amp.Thanks for you suggestions.Hi,

Hi,

Thanks for your informative response.

I do intend to build a multi-channel home cinema system, so that rules out the possibility of purchasing 2-channel amp.

Its apparent that my AV amplifier is the weakest component in the chain (as you stated), I will be looking to upgrade it.

As far as upgrading, I don't know where to start.

Thank you for your suggestions.

A

Anonymous

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/IMG_0080.JPG

An image would do all the talking for me.

I cannot recall the exact make of the stands, although I can remeber the price (if thats useful), they were £100.

Note: These are not bi-wired.

Sorry for poor image quality.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for finding which brand and model my stands are.

In terms of setup, Do you think they are setup correctly?

matthewpiano

Looks fine to me. Have you experimented with trying different amounts of toe-in towards your listening position? How much to toe your speakers in depends on the room, where you are in relation to the speakers, and your preferences. There are no real hard and fast rules so worth experimenting with.

I wonder whether putting a nice thick rug on the floor might help things a bit.

Nice TV - Sony W4500??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts