New speakers for Marantz PM6005

keithdowle

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a Mrantz PM6005 paired with Q Acoustics 2020i speakers for the last few years. Ive always felt that the sound was a bit flat and have thought about upgrading either the amp, the speakers, or both. At the moment i am edging towards upgrading the speakers but am wondering what you good people would recomend?

I have quite an eclectic tatste in music so a good all rounder would be prefereble. At the monent the amp is conected to an RP1 turntable as well as a chromecast audio that streams from Tidal (FLAC). I am also playing the TV audio through the amp using RCA connectors.

Cheers.

keithdowle

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
At the moment it is in a small bedroom but may well move into the living room at some point (20-25 cm2). At the moment i have bookshelf speakers on Soundstyle Z2 stands so am open to both bookshelf and floor standing speakers.

insider9

It may be hard to take but I'm also not a fan of that amp and particularly with these speakers. There are many more you could get especially if you consider buying second hand.

Should you buy new demos will be easier if you want to buy amp and speakers. As to recommendations I would suggest you got to your local dealer tell them your requirements and ask to listen to some options. After you do come back and we can discuss and hopefully advise.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Probably look at Dali for something with a bit of zing.im not a fan of the marantz 6005 amp so to be honest I would swop both.the new Cambridge audio amp is much better. You could also try the Clearer audio copper line alpha plus power cable. This will give your system plenty of zing to what you have already and is only £80. Try it and if you don't like it send it back and get your money back

keithdowle

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well i have thought about changing the app so its not that hard to take. I've been considering the Rega Brio for the small form factor and have seen some good deals used on ebay.

The whole speaker amp combination is just doing my head in to be honest.

insider9

Unfortunately it's just the way it is but once you get it right you will be happy.

If eBay is a possibility there's lots of second hand dealers who may be able to agree to returns.

Sadly I don't know whether Brio would sound ok with your speakers.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
keithdowle said:
Well i have thought about changing the app so its not that hard to take. I've been considering the Rega Brio for the small form factor and have seen some good deals used on ebay. 

The whole speaker amp combination is just doing my head in to be honest. 
the rega is a great choice. Put it with the zensor 3's :)

gasolin

Mission LX-2 great speaker for the money, Dynaudio Emit M10 very full bodied warm sound

If you want to keep the speakers go for something like the nad C316BEE V2 or Nad D3020 V2

If you don't need a phonostage look for the first versions

KEF Q Series has always worked well with Marantz amplifiers. Marantz can be a little warm and laid back, but the Q models like the Q350 can really liven things up. I wouldn’t really recommend many floorstanders at this sort of price point, as you’ll get better quality for your money with a standmount speaker, which will also work better in smaller rooms.

gasolin

davidf said:
KEF Q Series has always worked well with Marantz amplifiers. Marantz can be a little warm and laid back, but the Q models like the Q350 can really liven things up. I wouldn’t really recommend many floorstanders at this sort of price point, as you’ll get better quality for your money with a standmount speaker, which will also work better in smaller rooms.

Than it's the Q 300 Not the Q 350

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-q350s-sounds-too-dark

318K350fig4.jpg

It’s easier to audition small speakers than almost anything, and many dealers will have QA to compare with - or take yours along. If you like the overalll sound of QA then a different model might suit. However, based on those i’ve heard, and as already suggested the Mission, Dali and KEFs are worth hearing, as are the budget Elacs. There are very few poor speakers in the £180 to £500 range, it’s more a matter of taste.

With such a huge discount on B&W I suggest you buy a pair of 800 series, sell them for a third below RRP on eBay, and buy whatever you want with the profit! But more seriously, that brand is an obvious place to begin

Good luck!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. Arcam A Series amps are good value at the moment, as they are end of line.

B&W works well with Rotel, so that is another possible option.

I like the QA Concept range, as well as Kef LS50...but I don't know what your budget is (apologies if I've missed it).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts