new speaker choice for arcam solo mini. quad 11L original replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
afternoon all. just asking for experiences on speakers partnered with the excellent solo mini and sonos zp90.

cables are chord crimson plus to link sonos, then chord terminated odyssey 2 for the quads, with the same cable as speaker jumpers.

im looking for an aesthetically pleasing speaker, something the quads scored highly in in their birds eye piano gloss finish. replacement is due to the girlfriend managing to knock both speakers over in one go, causing to my eye, major cosmetic damage.

i was pleased with their sound. bass was only overwhelmed on very bass heavy tracks.

i auditioned at audio t, the same set up as mine, with the kef q300, ma rx1's and b&w 685.

as a previous 703 and 601 owner i was supprised by the treble of the 685. the treble compared to the other two was lacking in detail and extension. these were however brand new speakers with only 10 hrs under their belt. these were ticked off the list for that reason, and their pure size.

the monitor audios and kef's were quite hard to tell apart sound wise. my only concern is the rear facing port on the ma's. bass on occasion bloated, as per my quads.

aesthetically with the kefs. my dear god. early 80's in a box. im not sure if i could bear looking at them everyday.

so, im looking for any other suggestions to the rx1's. below is a picture of my listening area. bedroom for this set up. i listen to alot of cd's. but also alot of sonos and itunes trough sonos, compressed however.

help will be much appreciated. il consider sub £500 budgets, and s/h options. limitations may be the output on the solo mini. the assistant at audio t discounted the dynaudio 2/6's for this reason

Paul

A

Anonymous

photo19.jpg

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Shame about your Quads - I had a pair of those and they certainly looked lovely. Agree with you on the slightly bloated bass, I started to get really niggled with it so had to change.

If you are up for second hand, then you will be able to get a cracking pair of speakers for sub £500. The list is pretty long, but I'd start by looking at the PMC DB1+

A

Anonymous

The B&W 685's are superb speakers and yes, they need quite a few hours through them to sound at their best

They do very well with the Arcam Solo Mini but they do like to be driven hard as well and I've found that the Solo Mini isnt the best at getting the quality out of the 685's

The M/A RX1's however suit the Arcam Solo Mini VERY well as do the Dali Lektor 2's, Rega RS3's and the QUAD 12L2's IMO

A

Anonymous

Totem Dreamcatchers are just within your budget. Very nice speakers indeed, especially considering their size. Down at the budget end there's the Q Acoustics 2010/2020 which are good.

paultownsend said:
afternoon all. just asking for experiences on speakers partnered with the excellent solo mini and sonos zp90.

cables are chord crimson plus to link sonos, then chord terminated odyssey 2 for the quads, with the same cable as speaker jumpers.

im looking for an aesthetically pleasing speaker, something the quads scored highly in in their birds eye piano gloss finish. replacement is due to the girlfriend managing to knock both speakers over in one go, causing to my eye, major cosmetic damage.

i was pleased with their sound. bass was only overwhelmed on very bass heavy tracks.

i auditioned at audio t, the same set up as mine, with the kef q300, ma rx1's and b&w 685.

as a previous 703 and 601 owner i was supprised by the treble of the 685. the treble compared to the other two was lacking in detail and extension. these were however brand new speakers with only 10 hrs under their belt. these were ticked off the list for that reason, and their pure size.

the monitor audios and kef's were quite hard to tell apart sound wise. my only concern is the rear facing port on the ma's. bass on occasion bloated, as per my quads.

aesthetically with the kefs. my dear god. early 80's in a box. im not sure if i could bear looking at them everyday.

so, im looking for any other suggestions to the rx1's. below is a picture of my listening area. bedroom for this set up. i listen to alot of cd's. but also alot of sonos and itunes trough sonos, compressed however.

help will be much appreciated. il consider sub £500 budgets, and s/h options. limitations may be the output on the solo mini. the assistant at audio t discounted the dynaudio 2/6's for this reason

Paul

Certainly good with Arcam are MAs, Focal and Dali. Avoid Quads 11 or 12L2s because they match well synergy-wise, but they do need a powerful amp to get the best from them.

A

Anonymous

Epos Epic 2! Bearing in mind I auditioned these against the KEF Q300 and B&W 385, so I know where you're coming from, I think they're ticking the right boxes - much more true and revealing in the treble than the 385, a more enjoyable, oomphy bass than the Q300 (not to mention more aesthetically pleasing IMO), also easy to drive and despite being rear ported they are happy to be placed close to a back wall (min. 4" according to manufacturer's guideline - I have them 8" away from back wall and they're absolutely fine.)

A wee pic in case you want to check out the GfAF...

190086_10150147257964595_684159594_7944106_154859_n.jpg

A

Anonymous

all good sugestions guys. iv looked at the pmc's and dreamcatchers. but they look like they 'may' present a problem with the solo. esp the dreamcathchers at a 4ohm load and 87sv. and iv as feeling the pmc's will only really sing with a proper dose of current fed through them?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I would highly recommend the avi neutrons but not sure if the arcam would drive them. Second hand you could also look at leema xero, proac response 1sc (poss a bit over 500 amd hard to find) or studio 110, neat motive 3 all at in and around the £400-£500. Note that I have not heard all these speakers but are all ones recommended to me when I was looking at the same price as you.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
bay24 said:
I would highly recommend the avi neutrons but not sure if the arcam would drive them. Second hand you could also look at leema xero, proac response 1sc (poss a bit over 500 amd hard to find) or studio 110, neat motive 3 all at in and around the £400-£500. Note that I have not heard all these speakers but are all ones recommended to me when I was looking at the same price as you.

You can actually pick up a brand new pair of Leema Xeros from Sevenoaks HiFi in Brighton for £400 at the moment. A great little speaker, at a bargain price. Though having considered them myself a while back it seems they're not that easy to drive. They're not particularly sensitive (85.5db, with a nominal impedence of 6ohms) and Leema recommend a minimum amp power of 50w. The Solo Mini is likely to struggle with the Xeros.

Cold Roses said:
bay24 said:

You can actually pick up a brand new pair of Leema Xeros from Sevenoaks HiFi in Brighton for £400 at the moment. A great little speaker, at a bargain price. Though having considered them myself a while back it seems they're not that easy to drive. They're not particularly sensitive (85.5db, with a nominal impedence of 6ohms) and Leema recommend a minimum amp power of 50w. The Solo Mini is likely to struggle with the Xeros.

Hence why I mentioned MA and Focal. The former is 90db and the latter is 91db (I think). They aren't demanding to drive which makes them ideal. Anything below 88db would make the Solo a little uncomfortable.

A

Anonymous

BTW, re. Epic 2, sensitivity 90db, recommended amp power a piddly 20w and up.
smiley-smile.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MA RX1s will perform well with a Solo-Mini and come in enough choices of really smart (real) wood veneer finishes to get a pair that suit your decor too. (I think they do gloss black and gloss white too if that is your thing.)

If I hadn't 'lucked' into a pair of mint, used, maple Rega R3s the MA RX1s were going to be the final choice for my new M-CR603.

I too can't bear the sight of the Q300s (as someone mentioned previously in this thread... "early '80s in a box").

A

Anonymous

from sensitivity and impedance alone im going for either the rx1's or rega rs1's. both a small and beautifully finished speaker.

A

Anonymous

As I'd said initially; M/A RX1's for me all the way... Superb speakers and with a great sound and finish too
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts