New SLK-1700 TT Mk1 and new stylus, no sound??

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Setup my Mk1 SL-1700, new needle, everything balanced and it now only has say 10% of the volume.

Checked the cart, all good, cable connections, all good- I'm mystified!

Thanks

Setup my Mk1 SL-1700, new needle, everything balanced and it now only has say 10% of the volume.

Thanks
so am I perhaps you could give us more information.
10% of the volume of what? Do you mean from before you replaced the stylus?
What is it connected to amplifier wise?
Have you had it connected before is this a first time setup?

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
So, Now connected up my old Teac TT and working as normal, with the SL-1700, it gets sound to my Technics amp but you have to turn volume up to max and you get sound as if it were volume number 2

Gray

Thanks
The devil is always in the detail. So you need to give us some relevant details, such as:
1) The new 'needle', was it a new stylus or complete cartridge?
2) Is the cartridge a MM (Moving Magnet) type?
3) The Teac TT that works OK, has it got a built-in phono preamp?
4) What cartridge works OK on the Teac?
5) For your volume comparisons, are you connecting both TTs to a 'Phono' input on your Technics amp?

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Gray

1) New Stylus, Empire S300ME
2) Empire 300E moving magnet
3) Teac TN 100, built in Phono Stage
4) Appears to be built in to the tone arm i.e. all as 1
5) The Phono input on my Techcnic's SU-Z22 is knackered so going in using Tuner

Thanks

There's your answer. The Technics doesn't have a built in phono preamp so has to be connected to that phono input on your amp that doesn't work.
You will need to buy a separate phono preamplier to use the 1700 turntable.
Once you have one you can then connect it to tuner input or any other input on your amp.

Last edited:

anton69plati

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Al ears/Gray

The little Tube Preamp arrived today, working from home with a deadline but couldn't help myself, plugged in, SL-1700 setup and balanced again OMG!!!!!!

Sounds incredible, so happy with what I'm getting out of my SB-4500's, its a a much fuller more detailed sound, actually couldn't take the smile off my face for about 15 minutes

many thanks for the assistance, I wouldn't be hearing the above without you but, I am now thinking that this could get better............................... humans, never happy are they!

Reactions: Al ears
Al ears/Gray

The little Tube Preamp arrived today, working from home with a deadline but couldn't help myself, plugged in, SL-1700 setup and balanced again OMG!!!!!!

Sounds incredible, so happy with what I'm getting out of my SB-4500's, its a a much fuller more detailed sound, actually couldn't take the smile off my face for about 15 minutes

many thanks for the assistance, I wouldn't be hearing the above without you but, I am now thinking that this could get better............................... humans, never happy are they!
So true, upgradeitis is a swine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts