New Signature Tuned Array

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
Because it adds to the mystique? But see the link on my previous post which is from a manufacturer who are happy to sell "directional" cables although they know they actually aren't because that's what some customers want.

Chris

It's a possible, but unlikely explanation.

Speaking for myself (and I suspect many others), i don't want a directional cable any more than a directional tyre.......it's a torture to make sure they're fitted correctly. There are much more effective ways to make a cable sound mysterious, that are also easier to swallow.

I still think it is likely to do more harm than good (as shown by this thread, and hundreds of others like it), so why make it up and take the risk.....In my opinion that makes little sense.

What about spoilers on domestic cars? They made no difference to performance but at one time pretty much every car had one.

Chris

Depends what speed they went!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
fr0g said:
Yes, ifor, we do know what Alternating Current is. Directionality is nothing more than a way to increase the "perceived" quality. It's utter nonsense in an AC signal as the electricy flows both ways, equally.
Were you reading my mind? I never mentioned Alternating Current.

T

the record spot

CnoEvil said:
Almost every cable manufacturer talks about directionality. Now I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but why would this be an advantage that they could leverage? Taken at face value, it sounds ludicrous, so why throw something that has little "added marketing value" into the mix, if all it is likely to do, is pour doubt on the product?

Now if one particular brand was the only one that peddled it as a new "patented" breakthrough, thus giving them an advantage, then I could see the logic.

Or they saw the first one do it, sell loads, make a fortune and jumped on it like a fish back into water?

T

the record spot

chebby said:
Dave, what do you provide to customers who just want to connect their new systems without 'fancy' cables?

If I came in and bought a nice system from you, but wasn't interested in expensive interconnects and expensive loudspeaker cables, what would you provide me with?

Obviously I require a full set of the necessary connections before taking my system home - and I will pay what's required - but I haven't been convinced of the need to buy anything more expensive and/or my budget is topped out already.

You aren't going to send me home with no cables at all (or tell me to get cables from another shop) because I have come to you for a one-stop solution. So you aren't going to #### me off because I am a new customer whom you don't want to lose for the sake of a difference in opinion over expensive cables.

In the old days (okay, the late 90s!), they'd throw a set in. Even for modestly priced gear - I bought some £330 Mission 733i floorstanders in HiFi Corner in Edinburgh and the salesman threw in a set of £40 Audioquest Turquoise interconnects. I was tempted to ask for the £80 Ruby but better a bird in the hand... :)

I'd imagine, depending on the amount spent, that the same happens still today. Especially given the likely cost price to a dealer buying in bulk. Huge mark-up, easy giveaway. In my case, I got goods to the value of 12% of my buying price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts