Question New setup - speaker / amp issues

Superhoop73

Feb 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi there. I'm a newbie to these forums and to hi fi in general. I have put together my first budget system. But I'm getting a problem where sound cuts out to one or both speakers, and is very muffled. This happens on all inputs.

The core of the system is a second hand Technics SU-VZ220 amp, single wired into new Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s. I'm using QED 42 Strand speaker cable.

I have checked and double-checked that the terminals are wired correctly. The amp has twist lock terminals which I haven't seen before. But I'm following the instructions in the manual.

Would be really grateful if anyone can advise me on what to check.

Superhoop73

Feb 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi there. That’s quite an old amplifier you are using. It could be faulty. Have you tried it with different speakers?
It's possible I suppose. I don't have another passive speaker set to test it with. Forgive the newbie question, but I don't suppose it's possible to test with an active speaker?

It is very doubtful that both speakers are faulty. My culprit would be that very old amp ( circa 1992) it will need a service.
it may be as simple as contact cleaning the volume pot, however with amps of this age it may get more complicated than that.

matthewpiano

I'd point the finger at your amp also. It could be dirt in the volume pot, or it could just as easily be dry solder somewhere at this age. It may be worth getting it serviced, but you need to assess the cost against buying a replacement. A new budget amp from Denon, Marantz or Rega (the IO) would comfortably improve on the Technics.

Gray

....I don't suppose it's possible to test with an active speaker?
Not to test the Technics speaker output no.
As Al suggested, it won't be your speakers at fault.
It's one of those old amps with loads of switch / control contacts -contamination in any one ( or more) is likely to be the cause.

For what it's worth, with a twin RCA lead, you could just connect tape 'rec out' to your active speakers. If the sound is perfect through the actives.....you've got yourself a glorified source switch box in the Technics, with volume controlled by the actives. :)
(But in that case you would still be able to use the Technics phono pre-amp if you've got a turntable).

New amp time it may well be (y)
(Otherwise just say if you're anywhere near Essex).

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts