New setup, KEF or Monitor Audio?

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Morning all and merry Friday!

Right, I'm buying my younger brother his first hifi setup as a Christmas gift. I've been offered either the KEF Q100's or Monitor Audio RS5's for an excellent price second hand (can only afford one). I've not had much experience with either so some help would be appreciated as this will be a surprise for him. He has a good size bedroom 12f x 15f easily and listens to a lot of rock music. I'd need to get an amp as well and the one's they're being sold with (Though at an extra cost but similar total for both) are a Rotel RA-01 with the KEF and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640a with the MA's and I can't help but think neither of these would do either speaker any justice, I've also heard Arcam go very well with MA. He oohs and aaahs at an old, cheap Logitech set so I should make him happy either way.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

i've never heard the Kefs, so my input will be on my experience with MA!

But with a room of that size maybe the MA are a better option, regarding amps I think you can find a better option as well, look at second hand Brio R, Arcam A18, NAD 326 BEE.

:cheers:

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at those NAD's but they're difficult to find second hand and I don't have the dollar for new.

Seen an Arcam A65 going cheap, would that be worth considering?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
KidKomet said:
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at those NAD's but they're difficult to find second hand and I don't have the dollar for new. Seen an Arcam A65 going cheap, would that be worth considering?

I've never heard that model, only the A #8 series, if can't find the Nad 326Bee try some olther series like 320.

And second hand Brio R don't you forget about that one, you can find some for 350€.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
The Cambridge 640A is a very capable amp, but I wouldn't combine it with MA RS5's. Both the Cambridge and the RS5's are on the more forward, slightly bright side (particularly with the treble) and each need taming a little with a slightly warmer partner. My own view is that both together would sound very harsh, especially with rock music. Not so familiar with the KEF's and modern Rotel amps.

PS - the Arcam amp ought to go beautifully with the RS5's. (In theory mind you, I've not actually heard them together, just based on their individual sound signature).

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion outlaw but those amps are just a touch.over budget. I am very tempted by the Arcam given how many people have said they pair well with MA and after all, any of these will be leagues above a small Logitech set.

I may purchase the Arcam and go and demo it with the MA's along with his CA 640a, see which I prefer. A friend of mine has just had his Alpha 5 die on him so he can have my A65 if I don't like it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
KidKomet said:
Thank you for the suggestion outlaw but those amps are just a touch.over budget. I am very tempted by the Arcam given how many people have said they pair well with MA and after all, any of these will be leagues above a small Logitech set. I may purchase the Arcam and go and demo it with the MA's along with his CA 640a, see which I prefer. A friend of mine has just had his Alpha 5 die on him so he can have my A65 if I don't like it.

I think you can't go rong with the Arcam / MA combo!

I think PP (Plastic Pinguin) will jump in latter on, his experience with MA RS series and Arcam is loooonger then mine!

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Aha, yeah I've read a lot on his views of the Arcam/MA combo. Trouble with these speakers is they're nearly 300 miles away which is a long distance just for a maybe. I've also seen some Wharfedale Pi-40's and MA BR5's which again I know nothing about but can't find a bad word on them. The second hand market is such a ball ache!

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Found a pair of MA 703 PMC's that are in budget and in excellent condition. These seem to be reference level from the late 90's and from what I gather they'll lay shame to everything else I'm looking at. Anyone had any experience with these?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts