New Setup Advice/Help!!

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi HiFi-ers!!

I am pretty psyched on my new place. Getting it in about a month's time.

Currently in the documentation process followed by alil bit of reno.

While that is being done up i am in the midst of planning out for my new living room.

It won't be huge. Just a 4mx3m space perhaps.

At present i have a room setup which is used for my PS3 and MBP. HDMI out to a 32" LED TV which will stay in the room.

Looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 AV receiver plus a pair of speakers which is just as nice as my Diamond 10.1( first and only pair of hifi speakers)

So guys, help me out here if you can. Any iputs and ideas are welcome.

I just have wharfes on my mind for speakers and was inclining to Onkyo AVs. What ya think??

Have a place where i can demo the wharfes models. Any recommendations for other brands along that line?

Nothing extravagant on the budget. The wharfes should give a rough idea on the amount that i am playing with.

Peace and God Bless!!

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered including some bass trapping into your plan. A room that size is gonna have some problems with the low end. Fluffy insulation in the corners would be a huge help

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
sheggs said:
Have you considered including some bass trapping into your plan. A room that size is gonna have some problems with the low end. Fluffy insulation in the corners would be a huge help

Hmmm...now thats a good Point now that u mention it. Advice me. Hope it wun mk my living room look ugly tho..lol

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can buy some that can fit into the look of your living room, or if yoou are thinking of making your own this would depend on a)your skills and b) the material you use to ocver them

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
sheggs said:
Well, you can buy some that can fit into the look of your living room, or if yoou are thinking of making your own this would depend on a)your skills and b) the material you use to ocver them

Are you referring to those absorbers that they use in recording studios?

Will the placement look something like this?

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=bass+absorbers&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#biv=i|2;d|Wx2rtwl6tMZMFM:

matthewpiano

Are you looking to build up a complete 5.1 set-up, using the current Wharfedale's in there somewhere, or are you using the 10.1s elsewhere and simply looking for another stereo pair for this new set-up?

The Diamond 10 range is excellent but I'd be careful about going too big in that space. The 10.1s you already know. I'd take a pair of those over the 10.2s personally, but then the 10.3s are well worth considering - basically 10.1s with just a bit more depth to the sound thanks to the floorstanding cabinet. The 10.4s are superb but you need to be sure you can position them around 30-40cm from the rear and side walls to get the best out of them. Any larger than that, I would avoid. The 10.5s lose some of the rhythmic ability of the smaller models and the top two models will just be overbearing in your room.

If you are building a 5.1 system you might like to try your current 10.1s as the main fronts with a pair of 10.0s at the back, the matching centre speaker and Wharfedale's own sub.

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Are you looking to build up a complete 5.1 set-up, using the current Wharfedale's in there somewhere, or are you using the 10.1s elsewhere and simply looking for another stereo pair for this new set-up?

The Diamond 10 range is excellent but I'd be careful about going too big in that space. The 10.1s you already know. I'd take a pair of those over the 10.2s personally, but then the 10.3s are well worth considering - basically 10.1s with just a bit more depth to the sound thanks to the floorstanding cabinet. The 10.4s are superb but you need to be sure you can position them around 30-40cm from the rear and side walls to get the best out of them. Any larger than that, I would avoid. The 10.5s lose some of the rhythmic ability of the smaller models and the top two models will just be overbearing in your room.

If you are building a 5.1 system you might like to try your current 10.1s as the main fronts with a pair of 10.0s at the back, the matching centre speaker and Wharfedale's own sub.

Hey matthew thanks for the input.

The 10.1 are gonna go into the new room. MRS love them and insist they be transferred to the new room. I was thinking of getting a new setup. Highyly likely. Hehe.. What i am looking for is a mid AV plus a pair of speakers to start with and perhaps a SW or CC. I would love to add to them in the near future i can foresee..haha

How about Wharfes Evo and also 9.3? Are they just as excellent as the 10.1? Would they make a good front for the new setup?

Just to clarify: you need a 5.1 or 7.1 AV receiver, but only 2 speakers? Or do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

It's not easy to guess your budget from the information you've provided so far. What is your budget? How much of music do you listen to, & how much movies?

And don't worry about these "bass trappings" just as yet. The person suggesting it has ignored the presence of curtains / furniture etc. Mine is a similar sized room which has no problems with low end. Get your basic setup done first & then see what you'll need later.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I recon BB that it doesnt hurt to at least consider/plan for some room treatment at an early stage particularly in a small room. It is easier then to integrate into the decor etc. i have ignored expert advice at my peril in the past.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
And don't worry about these "bass trappings" just as yet. The person suggesting it has ignored the presence of curtains / furniture etc. Mine is a similar sized room which has no problems with low end. Get your basic setup done first & then see what you'll need later.

I agree, see how the room sounds first. Most modern AV amps do wonders with their 'Set up mic' procedure.

If you feel you have problems in the room after its furnished and calibrated... a quick google search for 'DIY Acoustic Panels' brings up loads of great simple ideas to help out with acoustic issues which you can make blend in with your decor... without spending silly money. http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=62 is one example - it was just first in the list!

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Just to clarify: you need a 5.1 or 7.1 AV receiver, but only 2 speakers? Or do you want a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

It's not easy to guess your budget from the information you've provided so far. What is your budget? How much of music do you listen to, & how much movies?

Hey BB.. Thanks for the input.

Ok here is how it is. Budget wise i am not looking anything above £1k for the 2 speakers + AV Receiver.

Planning to start with 2 speakers and eventually add to them for sure. Minimum i guess 5/1. I dunno i am afraid that it will be under utilize if i get a 7/1 or 7/2 but its good for future upgrades i supposed?

I listen to rock mostly plus psytrance/psybient, post rock/metal, jazz/acid etc. Practically lotsa music but no R&B.

Plus i am planning to connect the PS3 to this setup and looking at a 50" TV for this setup as well. ( different budget for this )

The paddings are something i can look at in the near future coz yeah as u said there will be curtains and sofas.

So that is totally secondary.

What say u BB?? :cheers:

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
novgorod said:
bigboss said:

I agree, see how the room sounds first. Most modern AV amps do wonders with their 'Set up mic' procedure.

If you feel you have problems in the room after its furnished and calibrated... a quick google search for 'DIY Acoustic Panels' brings up loads of great simple ideas to help out with acoustic issues which you can make blend in with your decor... without spending silly money. http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=62 is one example - it was just first in the list!

One of the reason why i am starting with 2 speakers first.

Wanna hear how the setup that i am gonna do sounds like and then i plan to add on either a sub or center depends on the sound that i get. Hehe

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:

I agree that acooustics can be left to later in the room testing stage but I relaise that rooms have furnishing in them already espcially living rooms LOL

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:

I agree that acooustics can be left to later in the room testing stage but I relaise that rooms have furnishing in them already espcially living rooms LOL

Terry Larder

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi, it might be worth concidering a 5.1 set of Mission FS2s. For the money these are a serious piece of kit. You should be able to pick up a set second hand if you didn't want to spend on new. They are designed to sit up near the ceiling in the four corners of the room.

They aren't bad for music either.

Hope this helps

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Terry Larder said:
Hi, it might be worth concidering a 5.1 set of Mission FS2s. For the money these are a serious piece of kit. You should be able to pick up a set second hand if you didn't want to spend on new. They are designed to sit up near the ceiling in the four corners of the room.

They aren't bad for music either.

Hope this helps

Thanks dude.. They look nice but not muh review out there about them. Will red more on them. Looks interesting. :)

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Updates!!

Here are the prices that i managed to get. Hope these prices will help.

Monitor Audio BX2 - £265

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - £177

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Speaker Shortlist.

Basically these are what i find in whathifi hifi speaker reviews. Got my Diamonds with the help of the reviews here too a year ago!

They look good for the money. Advise please!:)

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 - current top choice

Q Aqoustics 2020i/2010i

Dali Zensor 1

Audioengine A5+

Boston Acoustics A26

Tannoy Mercury V1/V4 - contemplating. Anyone knows how does this compares to the Diamond 10.1 or BX2?

Mission MX1 - looks good in reviews

Standmounts or Floorstanders?

Inputs please experts...:)

Manicmunky

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok Finally i got myself a Yamaha 573 abt a cpl of months ago. Setup was pretty simple with YPAO and i am blown away by the upgrades from my T-Amp. Sound clarity and soundstage got so much better, wider and clearer. Bass steetches deeper with this 573. Still playing around with the setup til today. Only issues is that at tines volume just went soft and low from normal and what have been set. Is it due to adaptive DRC or ARC? For eg normal vol is 30db. It can go to as high as 15 or higher just to get the normal volume.. Anyone out there knows why?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts