New Rega RP1 developed scratching noise.

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
4
0
Hello all,

I purchased a new Rega RP 1 on Saturday from my local Audio T. I have enjoyed a few records but having listened for a short while it seems to have developed a scratching sound on playback, it is not always there but appears on more than one record. I have set it up as per manufacturers instructions. I cant see anything obvious when examining the deck. I am going to take it back to them tommorow. Any suggestions as to the reason?

The other thing I have noticed is the finish on the turntable is not brilliant. I have not brought any Rega products before. I presume the finish of their other products is excellent.

Any way I guess I am entitiled to repair or refund.
 

Jason36

New member
Jul 23, 2008
427
0
0
Maybe a silly question......but have you checked that the cartrdige isnt catching the LP during playback at all?

I had this problem with my new goldring 1042 cartridge which was sitting very low to the LP and turned out that the stylus wasnt set correctly. Goldring reset the stylus for me free of charge and no problems since then.

If your LP's arent completely flat the cartridge may be catching slightly.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I did notice that the cartridge was close to the record surface but not touching, I did phone the guys at Audio T on saturday but they said that this is how the Rega ia set up, plug and play so to speak.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Jason36 said:
Maybe a silly question......but have you checked that the cartrdige isnt catching the LP during playback at all?

I had this problem with my new goldring 1042 cartridge which was sitting very low to the LP and turned out that the stylus wasnt set correctly. Goldring reset the stylus for me free of charge and no problems since then.

If your LP's arent completely flat the cartridge may be catching slightly.
Hi Jason, i think you may have found the reason. the bottom of the ortofon cartridge runs so close to the record. surely they cant be designed this way. I cant see anyway of adjusting this.

any help would be appreciated
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
in fact does any member of the What hifi team have a contact telephone number for Rega. Its is a best buy turntable. Did your review turntable have the same low lying cartridge.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,246
14
19,195
The Limey said:
in fact does any member of the What hifi team have a contact telephone number for Rega.
You have just bought it from Audio-T.

It is their responsibilty to deal with any problems and to liase with Rega on your behalf.

(They should also have advised you on set-up of tracking force, bias etc.)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
chebby said:
You have just bought it from Audio-T.

It is their responsibilty to deal with any problems and to liase with Rega on your behalf.
when I asked them about it on Saturday, twice, They told me there was no room for adjustment as the Rega is set up ready to go, that is how its designed. Well in that case it doesnt seem very well designed.
 

True Blue

New member
Oct 18, 2008
185
0
0
If its not a REGA cartridge, then you require VTA spacers under the tonearm pivot. For ortefon it is usually 2mm.

My Ortofon cartridge sit a good few mm above my record. DONT PLAY ANY MORE VINYL

Think it is strange that REGA would fit the ortofon cartridge, this is usually done at the purchasing dealers who are required to set it up PROPERLY.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Southampton, Hersley Branch.

The rega did not come with any spacers to be fitted. The gap from the but of the cartridge is less than a mm.
 

True Blue

New member
Oct 18, 2008
185
0
0
mines about 2mm ortefon blue. What cart you using.

Am in Pompey BTW could alway give nick a call at Audio T Portsmouth never ever had ANY problems with him.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,246
14
19,195
True Blue said:
If its not a REGA cartridge, then you require VTA spacers under the tonearm pivot. For ortefon it is usually 2mm.
This is the Rega supplied (and Rega factory fitted) Ortofon OM cartridge that the deck is shipped with - and designed for. It shouldn't require spacers.

I suggest checking that both downforce and bias are set according to the Rega instructions. If so, then you have to package up the TT and take it back to Audio-T (with one of the troublesome records and one of the good ones) and show them what is happening.
 

Jason36

New member
Jul 23, 2008
427
0
0
If you bought the Turntable and the Cartridge from Audio T (I take it the cartridge isnt the one usually sold with the RP1), then really they should have advised you that you need a spacer fitted to the Arm....if the sales person didint know this, they shouldnt be working for the shop and selling / advising on the products.

Mu understanding is that a 2M blue cartridge on a RP1 Turntable does require a spacer fitted under the arm to obtain the right set-up and obviously clearance from the LP.

Go back to the shop and speak to them....probably I would advice the Manager....if no joy then ring Rega and report your issues and the shop to them.....
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,246
14
19,195
Jason36 said:
If you bought the Turntable and the Cartridge from Audio T (I take it the cartridge isnt the one usually sold with the RP1), then really they should have advised you that you need a spacer fitted to the Arm....if the sales person didint know this, they shouldnt be working for the shop and selling / advising on the products.
Please everyone, read the Rega RP1 web-page before any Audio-T staff get lynched


The standard, Rega supplied/fitted cartridge is an Ortofon OM5e. They would not ship them factory fitted with a cartridge that needs spacers.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thankyou both for your help firstly,

the weight is pushed up to the stop line, as indicated in the instructions. The Bias is set to just under Two as indicated in the instructions and as prefered by what hifi in the review.
 

Jason36

New member
Jul 23, 2008
427
0
0
chebby said:
Jason36 said:
If you bought the Turntable and the Cartridge from Audio T (I take it the cartridge isnt the one usually sold with the RP1), then really they should have advised you that you need a spacer fitted to the Arm....if the sales person didint know this, they shouldnt be working for the shop and selling / advising on the products.
Please everyone, read the Rega RP1 web-page before any Audio-T staff get lynched


The standard, Rega supplied/fitted cartridge is an Ortofon OM5e. They would not ship them factory fitted with a cartridge that needs spacers.
That may be the case, However if the OP also bought the 2M cartridge from Audio-T at the same time as the RP1, then if the salesguy new their onions, surely it would have / should have been pointed out that a spacer would be required.

However if the OP bought the cartridge seperatly then yes Chebby I agree and take back what I said, however surely upon this question this with Audio T you would think this would be flagged up as the main problem...pretty simple really in my opinion.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
hi, I didnt buy the cartrridge seperatly. I just got the RP1 as standard
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,246
14
19,195
Okay i'll back out of this.

I am getting confused at all the references to 2M cartridges and spacers, when the OP has the factory fitted, standard OM5e cartridge. I don't see the relevance of the 2M to this problem.

Good luck with your dealer. I hope it gets sorted out for you
 

True Blue

New member
Oct 18, 2008
185
0
0
The Limey said:
hi, I didnt buy the cartrridge seperatly. I just got the RP1 as standard
In that case just box it up take it back as suggested with a naff record which it is doing it on. They should be able to contact REGA as it sounds like something has gone wrong in assembly. However your comment of the tracking weight being all the way to the end confuses me a bit? Could this be the problem too much? Either way the DEALER is required to sort out the problem. If this involves ordering you a new deck or sending yours away for QA. I would expect also that they pay for any damaged vinyl.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
True Blue said:
The Limey said:
hi, I didnt buy the cartrridge seperatly. I just got the RP1 as standard
In that case just box it up take it back as suggested with a naff record which it is doing it on. They should be able to contact REGA as it sounds like something has gone wrong in assembly. However your comment of the tracking weight being all the way to the end confuses me a bit? Could this be the problem too much? Either way the DEALER is required to sort out the problem. If this involves ordering you a new deck or sending yours away for QA. I would expect also that they pay for any damaged vinyl.
Thanks for your help , I think i will box it up take it back and just let them deal with it, The reason i purchased this deck was, because it is pre set up, got good reviews and has a lifetime guarentee. Further My police Lp has now got a dirty scratch on it that wasnt there before. I really wasnt expecting any set up problems. Another thing I noticed was that the bass didnt seem deep enough.

Regards.

P.S. I might give your Portsmouth brach contact a quick call just to run things by him.
 

Jason36

New member
Jul 23, 2008
427
0
0
chebby said:
Okay i'll back out of this.

I am getting confused at all the references to 2M cartridges and spacers, when the OP has the factory fitted, standard OM5e cartridge. I don't see the relevance of the 2M to this problem.

Good luck with your dealer. I hope it gets sorted out for you
Hahaha sorry chebby thats "my bag" i looked at someone elses system rather than "The Limey's". Realise now he has the RP1 with the standard cartridge....and has been said previously if its sitting low and catching the record then take it back and get a replacement....It should not be doing that at all.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Just a quick update to say a big thankyou to Audio T Southampton who issued me a full refund for the offending turntable. Excellent customer service and I will shop there again.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS