New PM6004 or used PM7200?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Quite set on getting the marantz within the next few days, however my main concern is if the PM6004 will be powerfull enough if I changed my MA BX2's to something bigger. Seen the PM7200 come up on ebay all the time and these had excellent reviews when new but wondering how the 2 amps would compare? any advice?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Matthew, I had a feeling you would be first to reply as I am guessing you have been through most amps. Is there a CD player you could recommend from around that era? possibly something by marantz or rotel? I am looking for a punchy setup with good depth but not something too bright or clinical.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Up until recently I had a PM7200KI and thought it was a great sounding amp. I originally used it with some Kef Q1 speakers but not long ago upgraded to MA RX6's. Although the amp sounded lovely with them it was slightly too warm for my taste and so I decided to sell the Marantz.

I've not heard the PM6004 so can't comment but if you like the (slightly) warmer side of neutral then I don't thinkyou can go wrong with the PM7200

Incidently when I originally bought the amp they sent me the non KI version by mistake and, to be honest the difference between the two was very small so I think it is better value as the KI version seems to be going for a lot of money at the moment.

The amp had no problem driving the RX6's so I think it would be fine if you were to upgrade your speakers.

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, Steve would you say the pm7200 was too warm sounding? When I do upgrade my speakers its likely to be the RX2. Also did you find any difference in using it in class A mode?

Thanks

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Mohsin said:
Thanks for the replies, Steve would you say the pm7200 was too warm sounding? When I do upgrade my speakers its likely to be the RX2. Also did you find any difference in using it in class A mode? Thanks

Hi Mohsin,

It was slightly too warm for me when using the RX6' but don't get me wrong, it was still a great sound, detailed and I think suited female vocals really well (if that's your thing). I just fancied something with a bit more bite to it.

The only thing I noticed about the class A mode was that, blimey it ran hot. You could warm a room with it lol! I never really noticed any difference in the sound and usually left it with the class A button out to save on the electricity bill! Hand on heart I couldn't tell the difference between the two modes.

Kind Regards

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts