New Planar3

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi there. I was recently given a new Planar 3. Can someone help me find a good receiver and pre-amp to buy? My current setup isnt working. I have a Cambridge Audio receiver and a pre-amp, but i need to crank it way up to get any good sound. I'm willing to trouble but also willing to upgrade my gear.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. I really want to start playing some vinyl. Thanks!

Pete

Planar 3 to Bellari VP130 to CA 540A
which cartridge is fitted to the Planar 3?
how is the Bellari connected to the 540A?
the Bellari has an output level control doesn't it?
You say receiver but what you have is an integrated amplifier isn't it?
If you are looking to get a new one of these simply but one which has an integrated phono stage unless you really want an external complication.
There is a possibility the Bellari isn't working.

Last edited:

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
I believe it's the Exact. It was all ordered through Music Direct and they advised the standard cartridge (Elys 2 i believe) was not available so i was 'upgraded' to the Exact. Does that sound right?

I believe it's the Exact. It was all ordered through Music Direct and they advised the standard cartridge (Elys 2 i believe) was not available so i was 'upgraded' to the Exact. Does that sound right?
yes, the Exact is a more expensive MM cartridge so that should be fine. Do you know anyone that has a system you could test the turntable on?
However, my bet is the Bellari is at fault. What sockets is it wired into on the amp?

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
I'd need to check. But was planning to just buy a different pre-amp. I bought this set up from my neighbor's son who needed to sell it. Do you have a recommendation for a better pre-amp and receiver?

I'd need to check. But was planning to just buy a different pre-amp. I bought this set up from my neighbor's son who needed to sell it. Do you have a recommendation for a better pre-amp and receiver?
Ok, lets get this sorted. You say phono preamp and receiver.
What you currently have is not a receiver, these include a radio section. What you have is an integrated amplifier.
If it is that you want to replace them that's great. Get the right one and you do not have to budget for the preamp as it will have one built in.
What sort of budget do you have?
Have you tried talking to the dealer you got the turntable from?
What Speakers are you using?
I guess we can assume you are in the States?
Sorry about all the questions

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
yes, am in the states. You are correct, it's not a receive. I don't have a budget but am also not wanting to spend too much. i'm just getting into this and am enjoying building, replacing and building. I was looking at Marantz, Denon and a few others. McIntosh is too much for where i'd like to be. I'd be good up to 2k for now. Then i'll look at upgrading the speakers (which are just bookshelf Klipsch). I did buy a REL 10" sub.

Thanks for any recommendations!

yes, am in the states. You are correct, it's not a receive. I don't have a budget but am also not wanting to spend too much. i'm just getting into this and am enjoying building, replacing and building. I was looking at Marantz, Denon and a few others. McIntosh is too much for where i'd like to be. I'd be good up to 2k for now. Then i'll look at upgrading the speakers (which are just bookshelf Klipsch). I did buy a REL 10" sub.

Thanks for any recommendations!
No problem.
Finding something you can easily attach a subwoofer to could be an issue.
What else, apart from the turntable, do you plan to attach to the amplifier as a source?
Can you actually get to a dealer to audition the makes you mentioned?
A lot will depend on your answers and, indeed, what speakers you plan to get to replace the Klipsch, as the amplifier has to be powerful enough to drive them adequately

I think I have an excellent suggestion for you.
Go out and buy the Rogue Audio Sphinx v3, they are excellent.
I was looking at buying one myself, they are made in the States, should cost around 1500 and have everything you may need including an inbuilt phono stage that includes ability to use both MM and MC cartridges and the ability to attach a subwoofer, plus it will drive just about any speaker you may happen to get in the future.
Then sit back and enjoy by our new Rega......
Sorted! :)

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
i won't attach anything else to this for now. Really just the turntable for now, but would be cool if I could blue tooth to it and play Spotify or SXM. I could go to a dealer but I honestly don't think i'm sophisticated enough to hear the difference. I'm very much a new 'audiophile' but mostly enjoy the process of playing the vinyl and having it as part of my decor. I do want to keep learning as I go. For mow, i'd rather just buy a good device, hook up and go.

i won't attach anything else to this for now. Really just the turntable for now, but would be cool if I could blue tooth to it and play Spotify or SXM. I could go to a dealer but I honestly don't think i'm sophisticated enough to hear the difference. I'm very much a new 'audiophile' but mostly enjoy the process of playing the vinyl and having it as part of my decor. I do want to keep learning as I go. For mow, i'd rather just buy a good device, hook up and go.
See my reply above. You may need to purchase a Bluetooth receiver to attach to it if you want to play Spotify but these can be gotten quite cheaply.

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Perfect. Thanks! You've helped me immensely down the path. There is so much information and so many options it's challenging to know where to start. Glad i came here.

Perfect. Thanks! You've helped me immensely down the path. There is so much information and so many options it's challenging to know where to start. Glad i came here.
We aim to please, it's great spending other people's money :)
I strongly suggest looking at that Rogue Audio.
If you do get one come back and let me know your thoughts, as I said almost got one myself and they are a bit pricier here in the UK, however I eventually got a good deal on a Parasound Halo Hint 6.

I do find it somewhat amusing that there are you in the States looking for something to attach a British turntable to and I am here in the UK with an American built amplifier and speakers with a German turntable attached....
HiFi is an odd world.
Glad I could help and point you in the right direction, hopefully.

Last edited:

PAntonenko

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hah! Truth. Interesting. Ironically the guy i bought the current equipment from is an American living in London and wasn't able to import his stuff there. So he said. I love the UK. Used to be there once a month before Covid. Looking forward to getting back on the travel bus.

Cheers to you and 22.

TRENDING THREADS